Best board bag for travelling

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Best board bag for travelling

Postby surfingmilzo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 am

Going on a surf trip to morocco end of march and im needing a board bag

i ride a 6'0 lost rocket and was wondering what bags are good for plane travel?

Dan
surfingmilzo

Re: Best board bag for travelling

Postby Biarritz Taxi » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:06 am

'Best' will also be most expensive. If you want your board to arrive in one piece then something like this: http://airbagdesigns.com/soma.htm
Biarritz Airport Transfers
http://biarritzairporttransfers.com/
Biarritz Taxi

Postby Leven » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Heard awful things about those Soma bags. From what people have told me they rip really easily and let the air out. No repair kit with them either.

I've just bought a CUrve Overstayer (the burrito closing one), and it seems quite good. There's no room for a board to move around in it so as long as you pad the rails etc, I reckon it'll be good. Not much room for other bits and bobs though!
Leven

Postby jimbib123 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 am

+ 1 for the curve overstayer. Can get 3 boards in there at a push, pretty decent padding and no where near as bulky as a coffin so great for travelling around.
jimbib123

Postby sandytim » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 pm

For air travel I think it's as much how you pack the board, as the board bag its self.
I always get a slightly oversized bag and use foam Pipe insulation arround the rails and top it off with a wrap of commercial quality bubble wrap.
I take a roll of parcel tape out to wrap it for the return.
sandytim

Postby Leven » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Done all of that before Tim, and still arrived with a snapped board! The beauty of the Curve bag, is that it fits around the board, so there's no gap between the board and the padding, and the board can't move around inside. Off to Morocco in a couple of weeks, so we'll see how it goes!
Leven

Return to Surf Travel