Firewire Vanguard

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Firewire Vanguard

Postby marc1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:08 pm

I have got one of these on order and i am just wondering if anyone has tried one yet. I :shock:
marc1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby prjwebb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:53 pm

should have mine in a few weeks!
prjwebb
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Cuttlefish » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:39 pm

What size are you getting?
:wink:
User avatar
Cuttlefish
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am
Location: Sunshine coast, Qld, Australia

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby prjwebb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:06 pm

Cuttlefish wrote:What size are you getting?
:wink:

:lol:
got a feeling i'll end up with both
prjwebb
 
Posts: 443
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:31 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:08 pm

I've heard you've got to ride these small ie plan shape. Then firewire say ride them to your specified volume? Really? That means I'd need something like a 5'10". When really I should be on a 5'4 but custom shaped. I think there's going to be a lot of 5'10 and 6' boards for sale on eBay soon. Rapid fire construction is shite as well, FST is less prone to deck compressions.
User avatar
buttholesurfer
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: Don't bro me if you don't know me!

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby usedtobe69 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 am

The FireWire sizing is fucking ridiculous, you ride em at chin height as they were designed to be by tomo, now he sells out and people are riding them at ridiculous long lengths, completely erasing the whole point of the design,
Quite why they didn't just upsize the volumes and keep them short I have no idea.
My 5'1 doesn't feel long, at all, I could've gone 5'0 happily, I'm 5'9",
, I can't imagine how shit a 5'8 - 5'10 will feel.

Carry on.
usedtobe69
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby waxer00 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 pm

^what he says .they are high performance,straight railed boards which are meant to be ordered as short as possible.straight railed boards need to be short to be loose enough and hold in the pocket.no compromise or get a longboard
User avatar
waxer00
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: little donkwhey

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby tynemouthmatt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 pm

I made a 5'8" x 18 1/2" xps board inspired by the vanguard. I kept catching the rail towards to nose on turns....probably too long, but reckon I fot the rocker measurements wrong.

Any know the nose & tail rocker measurements for the vanguard?
tynemouthmatt
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 pm
Location: http://www.mattmade.blogspot.com/.

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby usedtobe69 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:57 pm

Dur durdy
Last edited by usedtobe69 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
usedtobe69
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby swiggy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:02 pm

usedtobe69 wrote:The FireWire sizing is fucking ridiculous, you ride em at chin height as they were designed to be by tomo, now he sells out and people are riding them at ridiculous long lengths, completely erasing the whole point of the design,
Quite why they didn't just upsize the volumes and keep them short I have no idea.
My 5'1 doesn't feel long, at all, I could've gone 5'0 happily, I'm 5'9",
, I can't imagine how shit a 5'8 - 5'10 will feel.

Carry on.


What he said. I'm 5'9, 10 1/2 stone and borrowed a mates 5'4 custom tomo v4. Went like shit off a shovel but felt huge (he is a fair bit bigger than me, probably fits him), I would even try something like 4'10 myself, it sounds crazy on paper when my 'normal' shortboards are 6'0 but after riding the board I can see why you go so small.. I'd love to get my hands on one, not sure the $$$ are going to be around any time soon though..
swiggy
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby usedtobe69 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Yep, I originally ordered a 4'11 but bottled it, would've been fine, and probably better on a rail than my 5'1 that does feel sticky on occasion.
usedtobe69
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Kirk3 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:16 pm

A bit of Tomo video action here.......

http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/2013/ ... -2012.html
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
User avatar
Kirk3
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:36 am

Thanks for posting that Kirk.
Boards came a long way.
The mini-simmons footage was interesting...clunky and awkward.
The surfing on the current shapes is a far cry from the earliest fish footage and he'll sell a lot more boards because of it to boot.
User avatar
Cuttlefish
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:00 am
Location: Sunshine coast, Qld, Australia

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Kirk3 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 am

Yeah, there's definitely an interesting progression in the boards there- he surfs them all well but but he's definitely honing in on the performance he wants as the boards get smaller and odder. The Simmons is obviously not working for him, but I think it's RK's original Casper he's riding there which is 6' and seriously thick EPS- a lot of board and possibly why it seems like he's really fighting it. I remember the first fishes he shaped seeming insanely foiled and high performance which is funny looking at the recent output!
surf nonsense: http://waveslide.blogspot.com
User avatar
Kirk3
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:23 am

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby marc1 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm

I have ordered a 5'6 and using the volume calculator it should be spot on, but who knows, it will either be shockingly bad or shockingly good. My friend in OZ has one and said it needs good waves and does not work like a dominator etc
marc1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby swiggy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:38 pm

marc1 wrote:I have ordered a 5'6 and using the volume calculator it should be spot on, but who knows, it will either be shockingly bad or shockingly good. My friend in OZ has one and said it needs good waves and does not work like a dominator etc


How big are you? Jimo already said why theres more to it than the volume calculator.
swiggy
 
Posts: 2974
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:54 pm
Location: Victoria, vancouver island canada

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 pm

I think the board being retailed by Firewire looks and is being sold with the 'volume' input as a groveller-ish board...make no mistake it's a performance weapon, don't be sold by a pro surfer ripping in smallish waves with power. Most UK waves have a large amount of slope.
User avatar
buttholesurfer
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:47 pm
Location: Don't bro me if you don't know me!

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby zboy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 pm

like the design of the hydrodynamica boards mean machine and like with daniel and hank warner, mabile, not realy sold on firewire designed one or you could buy a snow board fill the binding holes waa laa :-)
zboy
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby marc1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:42 am

I agree i am 5'9 and 75 kg's, i have just sold my dominator which was a little floaty for me at 5'10. It is good to see that there are a lot of people amped for thsi board we will wait and see
marc1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby usedtobe69 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:50 am

marc1 wrote:I agree i am 5'9 and 75 kg's, i have just sold my dominator which was a little floaty for me at 5'10. It is good to see that there are a lot of people amped for thsi board we will wait and see

So you're the same height as me and 6kgs heavier? I'm on a 5'1 and that feels a touch long at times...
usedtobe69
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby marc1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:41 pm

Cheers for the advice, i have just managed to change the order and dropped down a few sizes. The firewire information is confusing and Chris form Firewire is recomending that everyone sticks to the volume. However, there will be a lot of 5'10 etc around on the for sale board in the next month or two.
marc1
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:23 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby usedtobe69 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:34 pm

i'm not trying to piss on anyones chips here, but, having ridden a vanguard for 10 months i've got to know how it goes, this is the problem with the firewires, they didn't do it right, they're short but ride longer due the straight template, if a 5'1 feels borderline oversized for someone 5'9 what is a 5'6 gonna feel like?

they should've put 24-25L into the 5'2 as the main one and worked from there,

they didn't because firewires bulk of sales are to guys who can't surf that well and want big corky boards, shame really, and a strange one for them to take tomo's designs on as he's always been about super thin small foiled out ultra performance in the past, how money changes things...

please don't' let my rantings/opinions make you choose something that won't float you, i'm just saying how one person sees it,

they're saying to go with the correct volumes because they know what they've done and don't want people to shit out and not be able to catch waves on their £650 surfboards.
usedtobe69
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Black » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Firewire have demo boards, in this case it seems wise to test first if possible.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby usedtobe69 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Black wrote:Firewire have demo boards, in this case it seems wise to test first if possible.

very good idea mr black :)
usedtobe69
 
Posts: 237
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby g_baby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:19 pm

Any chance to get some names who do Firewire demo boards in Kernow besides DTL?
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby waxer00 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:13 pm

north shore in newquay does demos i think
User avatar
waxer00
 
Posts: 1405
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: little donkwhey

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Black » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:42 pm

^^ It certainly stocks Firewire so I think thats right.
Never growing old together...
User avatar
Black
 
Posts: 4478
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:33 pm
Location: Same place as God

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby g_baby » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:32 am

Cheers waxxerOO and and Black for the quick reply I'll give it a try!

And marc1, sorry for hijacking your thread - I'm out again, promise. :)
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:23 pm

usedtobe69 wrote:i'm not trying to piss on anyones chips here, but, having ridden a vanguard for 10 months i've got to know how it goes, this is the problem with the firewires, they didn't do it right, they're short but ride longer due the straight template, if a 5'1 feels borderline oversized for someone 5'9 what is a 5'6 gonna feel like?

they should've put 24-25L into the 5'2 as the main one and worked from there,

they didn't because firewires bulk of sales are to guys who can't surf that well and want big corky boards, shame really, and a strange one for them to take tomo's designs on as he's always been about super thin small foiled out ultra performance in the past, how money changes things...

please don't' let my rantings/opinions make you choose something that won't float you, i'm just saying how one person sees it,

they're saying to go with the correct volumes because they know what they've done and don't want people to shit out and not be able to catch waves on their £650 surfboards.


Amen.

The 'volume calculator' is at once the single most misunderstood and abused marketing term to enter the surfboard dialogue in the last few years.... I hate it. It has such a vague effect on whether a board will catch waves or perform better than another board as it's often looked at as a variable in isolation to the really important design aspects such as rocker, bottom shape, foil etc..... It really winds me up. A beachball is a hundred times more floaty than an alaia, but you ain't catching many waves on it.

Some boards only really work well when they have the right amount of volume and for some designs, this is a low figure, but it only tells part of a story.

But then, people don't want to have to understand these things - they are happy being spoonfed a shitload of marketing bollocks and enjoy being told what to ride in each specific condition to make their surfing experience better without the investment of time in really learning how to develop their surfing.

I notice that these big companies don't mention that if certain boards are too corky, then it actually becomes harder to catch waves, not easier!

Fellow ranter, over and out :salute:
User avatar
Archy_is_God
 
Posts: 4075
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 9:52 am
Location: Whey out Whest

Re: Firewire Vanguard

Postby zboy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Archy_is_God wrote:
usedtobe69 wrote:i'm not trying to piss on anyones chips here, but, having ridden a vanguard for 10 months i've got to know how it goes, this is the problem with the firewires, they didn't do it right, they're short but ride longer due the straight template, if a 5'1 feels borderline oversized for someone 5'9 what is a 5'6 gonna feel like?

they should've put 24-25L into the 5'2 as the main one and worked from there,

they didn't because firewires bulk of sales are to guys who can't surf that well and want big corky boards, shame really, and a strange one for them to take tomo's designs on as he's always been about super thin small foiled out ultra performance in the past, how money changes things...

please don't' let my rantings/opinions make you choose something that won't float you, i'm just saying how one person sees it,

they're saying to go with the correct volumes because they know what they've done and don't want people to shit out and not be able to catch waves on their £650 surfboards.


Amen.

The 'volume calculator' is at once the single most misunderstood and abused marketing term to enter the surfboard dialogue in the last few years.... I hate it. It has such a vague effect on whether a board will catch waves or perform better than another board as it's often looked at as a variable in isolation to the really important design aspects such as rocker, bottom shape, foil etc..... It really winds me up. A beachball is a hundred times more floaty than an alaia, but you ain't catching many waves on it.

Some boards only really work well when they have the right amount of volume and for some designs, this is a low figure, but it only tells part of a story.

But then, people don't want to have to understand these things - they are happy being spoonfed a shitload of marketing bollocks and enjoy being told what to ride in each specific condition to make their surfing experience better without the investment of time in really learning how to develop their surfing.

I notice that these big companies don't mention that if certain boards are too corky, then it actually becomes harder to catch waves, not easier!

Fellow ranter, over and out :salute:


amen to that brother :-) :-D
zboy
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Rickyroughneck, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest