Package holidays

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Package holidays

Postby jdizz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:32 pm

Hi there
I'm new to the forum so forgive me if I bypass any of the etiquette.
I was wondering if anyone knew of any decent surf spots near any mainstream holiday resorts. I'm not looking for anything extreme just somewhere where I might be able to get some nice longboard waves. The reason for this is that although I would be quite happy to go somewhere specifically for a surf, my girlfriend and daughter wouldn't be too keen and we cant really afford 2 holidays. Also my girlfriend works for a travel agent so a package holiday would be great.
I'm not holding out too much hope but if anyone knows of somewhere I could go on a package holiday, hire a half decent longboard and hook in to a few peelers I would be grateful for the input.
Many thanks
Jamie
jdizz

Re: Package holidays

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Tenerife
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby surfrat » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:00 pm

Lagos, algarve....but you'll need to drive a bit
Cap Skirring, Senegal
or Gambia
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby Philshoz » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:11 pm

If she can get a good deal hows about Florida or Costa Rica? Canaries, Cape Verde,

Perfect etiquette btw, very polite,

Yours sincerely,

Phil.
http://philshorrock.blogspot.fr/
Philshoz

Postby royalrattlhead » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:01 pm

hey, I'm going to Playa Americas 17th March, reason being I wanted to go somewhere with bit of surf and something for misses to do. Few questions if you will, firstly is the localism in the water here as bad as some people make out? i'm going to be surfing by myself so I'm bit concerned about this and 2. Anyone know what the resort is like - all I've heard is bad things since I've booked it, and it werent exactly cheap either!! :o if this goes pearshaped the other half will be organising the next holiday and I know for a fact it wont have surf
royalrattlhead

Postby Chris F » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:56 pm

I think it would be logical to reverse engineer this; find a beach resort which is known to have good surf, then look for package holiday companies that go there, as there should always be one. I'm sure there are many options around Southern France and Northern Spain as well as the above mentioned. Stormrider's Europe Guide (or even MSW) and a few brochures from the operators your wife can get cheapies from and job is a proverbial good un.
Chris F

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 pm

royalrattlhead wrote:hey, I'm going to Playa Americas 17th March, reason being I wanted to go somewhere with bit of surf and something for misses to do. Few questions if you will, firstly is the localism in the water here as bad as some people make out? i'm going to be surfing by myself so I'm bit concerned about this and 2. Anyone know what the resort is like - all I've heard is bad things since I've booked it, and it werent exactly cheap either!! :o if this goes pearshaped the other half will be organising the next holiday and I know for a fact it wont have surf

If it's anything like the other Canary Islands prepare to snake and get snaked in the water (seems quite acceptable out there - no liability accepted though). As far as the resort I can't answer but if it's out of holiday season or during term time then chances are it will be quiet enough and not too many pissed Brits brawling and puking everywhere.

GL. Let us know how you get on. Never been to Tenerife so be nice to get some accounts of how things run down there.
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 pm

royalrattlhead wrote:hey, I'm going to Playa Americas 17th March, reason being I wanted to go somewhere with bit of surf and something for misses to do. Few questions if you will, firstly is the localism in the water here as bad as some people make out? i'm going to be surfing by myself so I'm bit concerned about this and 2. Anyone know what the resort is like - all I've heard is bad things since I've booked it, and it werent exactly cheap either!! :o if this goes pearshaped the other half will be organising the next holiday and I know for a fact it wont have surf

I surfed there on my own - locals were cool & I ended up surfing with a good lad that lived just up the road. Some nice hotties in bikini's that ripped too ...... surfed mostly Spanish Left, La Iziquidera or Palm Trees Left as the local call it. Step out & have a Burger King then back in again :-) Watch out for the gaps in the boulders just before the flat ledge, I got my foot stuck in them and took a few waves on the head before it came out :oops:

Depends what your after - party town , so you can get mangled if you want every night at Las Veronicas - hire a car and go touring , lots to see off the touristico path. Go up the volcano as well, need pass from Madrid to go all way to top but worth it. Snorkelling the bollocks, whale watching pretty shite 4 hours of my life I'll never get back. Go to Siam park and bodysurf their wave pool - that's a good day out in there if there are no waves.
ATTMFKH

Postby Chai Wallah » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:12 pm

You could also look at the Caribean, Barbados, DR, Puerto Rico - if you are looking at Europe, western Algarve or Lanza could be the best bets but both would need a hire car
Chai Wallah

Postby royalrattlhead » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm

Cool nice one, given me good bit of insight as to what to expect, will let you all know how it goes! Cheers
royalrattlhead

Postby nick1c » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Not a package........but cheap & family friendly, assuming you are going in the summer.
Get a ferry to Santander & drive to Ferrol. Camp here: http://spain.campingsclick.co.uk/campsite_cabazas_339. Sandy beach in your doorstep, the bay northeast also gets surf & there are loads of other spots nearby.
nick1c

Postby royalrattlhead » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

just checed out the surf report for playa americas next week for where I'm going - whack.
Anyone know any beginner friendly spots not to far from here on the north facing coast - not too far away!!
royalrattlhead

Postby JessicaFreed » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

I wanna suggest equestrian horseback riding..Just select your favorite ride and check out more favorable packages,concern with desired countries.
JessicaFreed

Postby Leven » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:55 pm

^^ Horse riding?! What the F@ck?!
Leven

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:41 am

It's spam. Ignore.
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm

JessicaFreed wrote:I wanna suggest equestrian horseback riding..Just select your favorite ride and check out more favorable packages,concern with desired countries.

Hey Jessica , any chance I can feed your horse :mrgreen:
ATTMFKH

Postby royalrattlhead » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:55 am

well after returning from playa del las americas I can say i didnt need to go up north at all -even with the cruddy report predicted! Was big enough the whole time, bar a couple of days. Got in early every morning there at spanish left and only saw 1 act of localism the whole time i was there, where an english guy - who had no idea what he was doing dropped in on a spanish guy then went and sat back next to them, then they were saying things in spanish to him and pointing at him and then the shore, but no fight or anything broke out, he just stayed there and acted dumb. But overall good vibes, a spanish guy who i kinda got to know even offered me a spare fin to borrow when i broke mine one session. could of been different in the noon as there was 100's of people in at one spot was party waves all round! (i never got in around this time). Didnt meet one english surfer there, just german and 1 irish which was suprising. Only english there are all pissheads, pretty nasty sking through the town in the morning dodging all the puke, piss and rubbish from the chaos the night before but didnt bother me too much. I'd say if your looking for a place to surf with no car and keep your misses happy this is a good option for sure though as mine was happy. Would deffo go back there again
royalrattlhead

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:52 pm

Nice one for the follow up Ratty. Sounds fun. I'll have to make my way to Tenerife one day. Any rights in the vacinity?
Poo Stance

Postby ATTMFKH » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:35 pm

Spanish Left goes right as well
ATTMFKH

Return to Surf Travel