Suit thickness

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Suit thickness

Postby timboellis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Just taken a lesson in surfing the other day loved it and my son, so now we have been bitten any suggestions on thickness of suit.

On the day yesterday when i was out I was told it was a 5mm and was not cold at all, this was up in Thurso outside temp at 3

Tim
timboellis

Re: Suit thickness

Postby roberdy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:38 pm

If you want to surf in Scotland for any length of time and especially if you want to do it all year round I would recommend you get at least a 5mm wetsuit, decent boots and gloves. IF you have the money get a 4:3 for the summer and a hooded 5:4 for the winter, if you don't have the thick end of a grand to throw at wetsuits then go for as decent a 5:4 as you can afford and a separate hood, that way you can wear it in the summer too when a built in hood is too warm when up and a pain in the ass when down. You can also get hooded rash vests you can wear under your wettie to layer up, they can be really good but try before you buy cause if you get one that flushes water into your body when you duckdive it'll be no good at all, nothing worse than getting a blast of that super cold peaty water at Melvich when you were nice and toasty!

I live in Aberdeen and have been surfing in Scotland since 2003, (originally from Cornwall), I've surfed the north coast in the winter, actually I reckon the water is more consistently colder around Aberdeen but there you go!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby timboellis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Well had a look around and was planning on well its a toss up between either the Gul Response Mens 5/3 or a Lomo Hurricane 2CX 5mm

Suggestions on which to go for , also planning Gul boots and gloves?
timboellis

Postby roberdy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:56 pm

Hmm, I would avoid the Lomo at all costs mate, doesn't look like it is built for surfing and definitely not for use in Scottish waters. The Gul might be better but the Response is at the lower end of the range. As you are just starting out you might go better to look for a decent Xcel, C-Skins, O'Neill, or other brand on eBay, gumtree or for sale on here. Ideally you'll be looking for something at least glued and blindstitched, that's the way the panels are put together, maybe even taped or seams sealed with some fancy liquid material.

Have a look on MagicSeaweed's online store and do some more reading on here, especially threads around surfing on the east coast of the UK, most folks are in Excel/O'Neill or C-Skins I think, I have an Excel but they are pricey, that's why I suggest you go for a second hand number from ebay etc. The difference between 2 hours of comfortable warm surfing and 40 mins starting warm and ending up in freezing cold misery will make a big difference to how much you enjoy surfing!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby roberdy » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:07 pm

The Janitor
roberdy

Postby timboellis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback the only concern i have is fitting.

I cant get all to line up if that make sense, ie . i get the right hight and waist and chest but not the weight etc. what REALLY matter with this .

I did see a good deal on a RHINO 'Venom' 5:3 for £75 that a good deal?

Tim
timboellis

Postby defever » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:04 pm

Also have a look at this:
http://store.magicseaweed.com/blog/category/wetsuits/msw-wetsuit-guide/

Great wetsuit guides from MSW. Especially have a look at "price is your guide" one (and all the other ones!). Because it is VERY true. The more you pay, the better the quality of the product, and this makes your surfing time ALOT more pleasant.

Also another big factor is flexibility! Low end wetsuit feels like (no, it is actually!) your movements are being restricted. For example, shoulder area needs to be super flexible or otherwise it is just as same as you are out there in the water with 5kg wrist weight...

PRICE IS YOUR GUIDE. Unfortunately. Try several wetsuit in shops (if you can) and if you have time, look for a last season bargain. They come down quite a lot.
Also second-hand wetsuits (the ones never been worn) and children's wetsuit swap in the "For Sale" section of this forum are equally a useful source!

Good luck!
Last edited by defever on Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
defever

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:20 pm

buy this timbuktu ................ cracking deal on MSW shop for a 6mm Xcel hooded drylock £229 L or M only
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby timboellis » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks but a bit to steep for me just starting out however upped my price and seen this one

O'Neill Epic II 5/3mm CT Fall 2012 this worth a look?
Going for £120 new

Then i could get the boots and the gloves from Go outdoors which are 3mm
timboellis

Postby timboellis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:22 am

Well slept on it last night and can justify a little more so had a look and what appears to fit me going by their charts is an O'Neil suit and I have seen a 2012 O'Neill Mutant 5/4mm this also comes with a hood so saves me buying a hood separately, This is going for £170 , this a good deal and a good suit?
timboellis

Postby Black » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:27 am

Unless you know its going to fit, you must try on the suit, don't rely on charts.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby timboellis » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Well bought an O'neill Mutant 5/4mm wetsuit comes with the hood as well.

Retailer agreed that i can return if it does not fit so all good.

Bought my son a Mares Flexa 543 wetsuit aswell

Just need to get gloves and boots now and the board, got a week of come Friday :-)

Tim
timboellis

Postby roberdy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:58 pm

good effort Tim, you'll be pulling into bombs at TE before you know it!
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby timboellis » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:01 am

Well suit arrived for me today and fits well, although a struggle to get it off thought i was going to have to go down the office to get the wife to help me out of it... but got there in the end.

Board I should be getting this week fingers crossed then thats me ready to go
timboellis

Postby defever » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:13 am

Possibly one of the BEST surfing wisdom out there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MfNmUbKdM
defever

Return to Wetsuits and gear