Hells Mouth = Fear

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Hells Mouth = Fear

Postby KyleEvans » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Went to Hells Mouth today at 8am this morning on my new board and "had rubbish surf" due to fear!

I was really excited to go in today, the second time on my new board. It was high tide at the Mouth this morning and for those who don't know Hells Mouth; it's not a sandy beach it consists of large rocks, and when it's high tide the waves break very close to the beach. So, because of that I've found a fear of smashing my board into the rocks beneath the water. I'm guessing the fear is natural for anything as expensive as what a surfboard is, but will this fear go way?

I've moved down from a 7'4 MiniMal Take Off to a 6'6 7S Fuse, I'm also afraid of standing up on it, why!?
KyleEvans

Re: Hells Mouth = Fear

Postby Philshoz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 pm

It's a sandy beach apart from about 150 mtrs in the corner and the reef.
You live there Kyle ffs, if you are scared don't go down there...... :lol: :roll:
http://pshorrock.wix.com/phil-shorrock---photography
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:04 pm

And you wanted to surf Thurso yesterday!!!!
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:09 pm

And another thing, why have you posted this twice

Shit me, I'm a troll
Philshoz

Postby KyleEvans » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:23 pm

Yeah when it's not high tide.. when it's high tide your up to the rocks by the entrance (where I surf) Thanks for the surfer to surfer support.. :roll:

By the way Phil, can I ask what you do for a living?, I'm not asking to be nasty like most people on this forum (maybe including yourself), I'm asking because I've visited your blog and I'm actually interested.
KyleEvans

Postby Black » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:46 pm

He's a soothsayer ffs, are you paying attention at all?
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby henryg » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:38 pm

C'mon mate get a grip it was waist high this morning and weak. And those 'rocks' near the entrance are what most people call 'pebbles'. I'm not wanting to piss on your fire but you need to man the f### up or take up a new hobby that's a whole lot less scary because believe you me surfing get's a heck of a lot scarier than that in any real waves.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby Philshoz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:02 am

Ditto......... :roll:
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:11 am

KyleEvans wrote:By the way Phil, can I ask what you do for a living?, I'm not asking to be nasty like most people on this forum (maybe including yourself), I'm asking because I've visited your blog and I'm actually interested.

Whining Old Git, in the main.....Lover of N Wales since 1974.......but mainly renovator of French property for the last 11 years........ 8)

My advice Kyle is just think before you post. I understand your enthusiasm being a newbie but you are going to get a reputation as a kook on here if you are not careful.

Look on me as a father / grandfather figure........in a nice way, not in a Jimmy Savile way............ :oops:
Philshoz

Postby KyleEvans » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:44 am

I know they're only pebbles/rocks but I was just afraid of damaging the board.. not the waves. Sorry if I'm a coming across as a kook.. guess i'm just posting a bit to get to know you people, of the forum.. sorry
KyleEvans

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:26 pm

Bro, we were all kooks one day. Some of us still are :oops: ain't nowt wrong with that, be proud of what you are. When I started surfing I used to be too scared to go where my feet couldn't touch the sand, look at me now... I'm...err... oh yeah... still shit at surfing :lol: The most important thing is that your kookness don't ruin other peoples fun, know the rules and how to behave in the water and you can be scared of rocks as much as you like. Folks on here are just having a dig coz it's fun for them they mean you no harm and are probably quite thankful of someone to direct there humour at, if you can call it that :-D
Poo Stance

Postby KyleEvans » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:20 pm

Poo Stance wrote:Bro, we were all kooks one day. Some of us still are :oops: ain't nowt wrong with that, be proud of what you are. When I started surfing I used to be too scared to go where my feet couldn't touch the sand, look at me now... I'm...err... oh yeah... still shit at surfing :lol: The most important thing is that your kookness don't ruin other peoples fun, know the rules and how to behave in the water and you can be scared of rocks as much as you like. Folks on here are just having a dig coz it's fun for them they mean you no harm and are probably quite thankful of someone to direct there humour at, if you can call it that :-D

Thanks mate...
KyleEvans

Postby Philchapman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:06 pm

/\/\ Wise words Poo. It's kind of like in the old days when you did an apprenticeship, and all the old duffers would send you down to the stores for a tin of stripey paint/ jar of elbow grease/ packet of glass nails, etc. No harm meant, just a bit of banter. Hang on in there and ask the right questions. There's a wealth of knowledge available from people on here, but you may have to put up with a bit of nonsense to get to the good stuff. :-)
Philchapman

Postby Poo Stance » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:30 pm

Too true Phil. I remember being asked to go to the iron mongers for a long weight.

After 30 mins waiting for the shop keeper to come back to me I thought sod it,... I'll take me money elsewhere. 8)
Poo Stance

Postby Philchapman » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:55 pm

Haha... that's a good one! :-D
Philchapman

Postby petegee56 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:26 pm

one thing you can always rely on is a new board is going to get dinged up

Pete
petegee56

Postby Chris F » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Poo Stance wrote:Too true Phil. I remember being asked to go to the iron mongers for a long weight.

I was told to go to the stores and ask for a new spirit level bubble and a packet of grinding sparks. But I did get a hammerfaw!
Chris F

Postby Philshoz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:30 pm

My embarrassing mo, chasing up an order at CK Tools for:

Miss Alice Likes
The Cockwell Inn
Tillit
Herts

:oops:
Philshoz

Postby bakers » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:46 pm

a pair of auntie slips
bakers

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 pm

henryg wrote:C'mon mate get a grip it was waist high this morning and weak. And those 'rocks' near the entrance are what most people call 'pebbles'. I'm not wanting to piss on your fire but you need to man the f### up or take up a new hobby that's a whole lot less scary because believe you me surfing get's a heck of a lot scarier than that in any real waves.

hahaha, he;s saying what we're all thinking... Go tomorrow, surf from mid tide, will be dappa. Guaranteed.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:29 pm

henryg wrote:C'mon mate get a grip it was waist high this morning and weak. And those 'rocks' near the entrance are what most people call 'pebbles'. I'm not wanting to piss on your fire but you need to man the f### up or take up a new hobby that's a whole lot less scary because believe you me surfing get's a heck of a lot scarier than that in any real waves.

hahaha, he;s saying what we're all thinking... Go tomorrow, surf from mid tide, will be dappa. Guaranteed.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby flacky » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:31 pm

KyleEvans wrote:I know they're only pebbles/rocks but I was just afraid of damaging the board.. not the waves. Sorry if I'm a coming across as a kook.. guess i'm just posting a bit to get to know you people, of the forum.. sorry

If you damage the board i know a good repair man at the beach, ask for Jetson, he's the man with the plan! He can hear the sound of fibreglass splitting from 12 nautical miles.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby slopsurfer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm

the bigger boys have bullied you enough lol.
i suggest you swap your board out for an nsp or a bic or something of that type that can take a good beating.
There are enough things to focus on when learning to surf without fear of dingning your board and the resulting expense.

That or get good at ding repair :D
"Mahape a ale wala'ua"
(Don't talk- Keep it in your heart)
Duke Kahanamoku
slopsurfer

Postby Philshoz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:27 am

Kyle is a broken man................he hasn't been back.... :-(

He is concentrating on his boards I think.
Philshoz

Postby slopsurfer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 am

just realised how old this thread is lmao

hope nothing bad happened to him at gnarly old Hellsmouth
"Mahape a ale wala'ua"
Duke Kahanamoku
slopsurfer

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 am

You've been off the readar for a while too SS. Fits the scoop?
Chris F

Postby slopsurfer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:02 pm

working hard :D

too hard, had been getting in the water a fair bit during february ealry march but the old backs playing up again (bloody celidh dancing of all things) if the wind dies down a wee bit over the weekend i might head up to the Moray Coast regardless ;) all well with you?
"Mahape a ale wala'ua"
Duke Kahanamoku
slopsurfer

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Likewise. Been getting on the snow when i get a chance, good snow being even rarer up here than good waves. Clocks change soon!
Chris F

Postby ATTMFKH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:58 pm

Nearly went down to your brother's / dad's farm at the weekend Slops ............ you know the place :wink: but the forecast went whack at the last minute and we ended up on the East coast - next time :-)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby slopsurfer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 am

the forecast always goes to crap. Its a potluck affair :) if you head down again give me a shout as i've been visiting a fair bit lately
"Mahape a ale wala'ua"
Duke Kahanamoku
slopsurfer

Next

Return to Learn to Surf