One piece of rubbish-do it !!!!

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

One piece of rubbish-do it !!!!

Postby well-chilled-out » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Sorry folks, my second post...But all in a good cause..
I'm not asking for money, I AM asking all you pure surfers to pick up at least ONE piece of rubbish when you leave your beach. Say 'thanks' to your beach by doing this each & every time. If we all do it we will reduce a massive amount of crap the holidaymakers leave at this time of year...Thanks & pass around.
peace....
well-chilled-out

Re: One piece of rubbish-do it !!!!

Postby defever » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 pm

Good idea. SAS will love you for it.

I do this when there's a rubbish in my view. I don't actively go out looking for any rubbish, maybe I should.

In very rare occasion, I give the rubbish back to those who left it behind. They get sooooo annoyed, and they say "well there are millions of rubbish on the beach, are you going to pick every single one of them and chase the culprit?"

I say "no, but this one belongs to you regardless. You cannot get angry at me just because you were caught leaving rubbish on the beach and now I'm returning it to you."

I end up binning their rubbish most of the time because they like to mutter for hours (on how others do the same, there's no bin, they have enough to carry in their hands, blah deh dah) instead of making a simple action to bin their rubbish.

People need to chill out. well chilled out.
defever

Postby danny1 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:09 pm

this would be a good campaign. should be posters at every beach
yak yak yak yak yak yak yak
danny1

Postby Chris F » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:47 am

Chris F

Postby Matt Rose » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:58 am

Always try to pick up as much as I can. Can never understand the mentality of people that can visit a beach for its tranquility/natural surroundings and then leave crap everywhere. Picked up a can that someone had wedged between some steps, when there was a bin a couple of metres away?

Signs are OK but there not worded strong enough, homemade stencils are the way forward!
Matt Rose

Postby Chris F » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Disposable barbies are my bugbear, along with youths breaking bottles in the sand, so dangerous for the little ones. Had our lad and anothe couple of kids paddling the other day and spotted something rolling around in the sand in the shallows; was the neck of a glass bottle, if one of them had stood on it it would have been an A & E job.
Chris F

Postby MrMik » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:34 pm

Great idea!

I've been trying to "Pick up one" for many years, but I must admit that "Pick up 3" is usually possible and of course better...
MrMik

Postby Matt Rose » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:37 pm

Chris F wrote:Disposable barbies are my bugbear

The blondes or the shitty disposable jobs? Used to skim my feet over the top of sand when walking. Doing this one day on Hemmick, when my big toe hit the rusty mesh bit of the top of one. Getting it out was tricky, still makes me wince!
Matt Rose

Postby Black » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Got my foot sliced on a piece of glass last year walking back across the beach - I could probably torture the culprits whilst wearing a smile (and clothes obviously, I'm not a perv)!

Dogshit...... mmmmm I'm lovin it! Difficult to move without the right equipment.
This sort of thing would be good for community service IMO.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Poo Stance » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:24 pm

My problem is if i pick up one piece of litter and then see another i cant just leave that one on the ground as well. The end result is I end up picking up every piece I see. Sometimes I have to stop myself from picking up the first bit if i can see there is shit loads of the stuff.

I quite regularly fill a bag or two with trash if I'm walking on the beach pre/post surf. People look at me like I'm a lepper when I'm doing this. I have this hope that maybe someone someday will see me picking up trash and be motivated to do the same. Picking up one or three bits can go unnoticed and while I agree that it is a great initative, I think if social perceptions on picking up trash is to change people need to be more visual about doing it in front of others.
Poo Stance

Postby dixie » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:17 pm

why is it called tourist season if you cant shoot em !
dixie

Postby Leven » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:35 pm

I do this EVERYTIME I'm on the beach. Shame, as I shouldn't have to. I also try and give it back to people who I see littering, in a way to make them feel pretty small and embarrassed! The bit that annoys me (and saw this last night) is those that make the effort to take their rubbish/dog shit to the edge of the beach, then leave it there, instead of going all the way to the bin. In Porthleven, it's literally 30 yards!

Randomly enough, I was walking back up a pretty steep sand dune in the winter after a surf, carrying my board, a tyre over one shoulder, and an empty petrol container in my other hand, and at least half a dozen people stopped me, and asked me what I was doing!
Leven

Postby Chris F » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:38 am

Should have said you were going to necklace someone caught littering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necklacing
Chris F

Postby Matt Rose » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:21 am

Black wrote:
Dogshit...... mmmmm I'm lovin it! Difficult to move without the right equipment.
This sort of thing would be good for community service IMO.

Why do they put there hand in a bag pick up warm shit and the hang it from bushes? + Why are dogs allowed on certain beaches all year round? Had a perfect dusk session a while back, coming in prone, to a dog curling one out, right in front of me. :-( Theres only one Mr Whippy I want to see at the beach!
Matt Rose

Postby Poo Stance » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Leven wrote:I also try and give it back to people who I see littering, in a way to make them feel pretty small and embarrassed!

I love running after people who drop litter. "Excuse me, excuse me... you dropped this on the floor back there", nearly always they thank me as if it was something important they had dropped.

I had an idea while surfing in Brighton years ago in huge SWlys - Why not just put up netting in strategic places to capture the litter swirling around in the wind? Surely that would go someway to helping.
Poo Stance

Postby well-chilled-out » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:03 pm

Well done you fine people, my faith in human nature is restored....Same o, I've done this for years, it's just my little thanks to any beach I surf at...Just one bit of rubbish every time. If we ALL do it we Will make a difference.Get your surf buddies to do the same...I was also inspired that Skip Frye does it. I know it's a temptation to pick up more but if you do that, your motivation reduces...Pick up one item & it becomes second nature-simple....Spread the word happy people...
well-chilled-out

Postby Ferral » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:47 am

Your faith in human nature may be restored - mine is utterly ruined!

Last night running down the path to the beach I stepped on a discarded used nappy - still warm and pretty squidgy. I mean WTF??!!!!!!?? :evil: :evil: :twisted:

Some people shouldn't be allowed out.

p.s I always focus in on the used fishing line when picking up litter, may not look as big as some things but its a nightmare for the environment...
Ferral

Postby Chris F » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:18 am

I'm wincing for you. So very very gross.

And good call on fishing line.
Chris F

Postby kevind » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Saw another surfer catch a guy pulling his dog along whilst it was having a shit then when he didnt pick it up chase the guy and his dog up the beach with a handfull of shit shouting ' wassamatter dont you want it now? ' 'its your shit so take it with you.....' . He had a few shouts of encouragement from other beachgoers except he then threw it at the guy !
kevind

Postby well-chilled-out » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:03 pm

Oh man, that surfer goes to the top of the tree of awesomness..I'd like to shake his hand....without dog shit in it of course..
Keep picking one bit of rubbish you fine people !
well-chilled-out

Postby Poo Stance » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:41 pm

quick bump n pic

Poo Stance

Postby Chris F » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:17 pm

kevind wrote:Saw another surfer catch a guy pulling his dog along whilst it was having a shit then when he didnt pick it up chase the guy and his dog up the beach with a handfull of shit shouting ' wassamatter dont you want it now? ' 'its your shit so take it with you.....' . He had a few shouts of encouragement from other beachgoers except he then threw it at the guy !

I had just got out the water and was walking towards a guy on the beach walking his dog, which stopped for a dump and he just kicked sand over it. I gave him a bollocking, and he tried to justify it by saying there was a sewerage outlet at the other end of the beach. I told him he was talking shit (he was, it had been disused for years) and should look after his pet a bit better, or didn't deserve to own one. Amazing what a bit of stoke and adrenaline does for your bravery.
Chris F

Postby Pterodroma » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:02 pm

A few years back a toddler was blinded after contracting E.Coli playing in rock pools at Westward Ho! The most likely source was dog mess... (looked for the story online but can't find it, was in the North Devon Journal I think).

The mountain of dog shit on Braunton Burrows was quite a sight around the same time too. Far too many dogs in this country imo, towns/housing estates stink of piss and the countryside is littered with bags of shit. I won't get started on disturbance of native wildlife etc etc. Angry dog owner responding in 3..2...1 :lol:

Anyway, I find the E.Coli etc angle gives a bit of ammunition when confronting irresponsible dog owners, not a lot they can come back at you with after you tell them they could be blinding toddlers.
Pterodroma

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:31 pm

Worth a dredge for this.

http://www.sas.org.uk/news/sas-news/big ... lean-2014/

Was walking to the surf on a popular tourist beach in Gran Canaria the other week, filling a bag as I went, and coming the other way was a like minded soul doing the same. OK similarly minded... he was in speedos and I wasn't. I was super stoked. We high fived. And I had a blinding karma filled surf. I just so happened to paddle out right next to a surf buddy I hadn't seen in a couple of years (considering the beach is about 1km long and there were about 30-40 surfers spread up and down it I thought that was a nice touch too). The litter fella had done a sterling job as there was fuck all litter going his way. I hope he was as happy with my efforts too.

PS - That surf buddy is now in Liverpool for a month, so if anyone up there wants to take him for a surf I'm sure you'd make his trip. He's a super cool, funny and friendly fella.
Poo Stance

Postby Poo Stance » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:33 pm

Can't we sticky this thread too? It may not get many replies but it's worth it if it spreads the massage :-D
Poo Stance

Postby Pablo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:02 am

I think if everyone could try and do this;

http://magicseaweed.com/news/the-two-mi ... lean/5998/

http://campervanliving.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... movie.html

It would be really great! Who doesn't have 2 minutes after they've got changed, had a cuppa etc.
Pablo

Postby Pablo » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:03 am

Poo Stance wrote:Can't we sticky this thread too? It may not get many replies but it's worth it if it spreads the massage :-D

THIS!!!
Pablo

Postby Black » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:06 am

Pablo wrote:
Poo Stance wrote:Can't we sticky this thread too? It may not get many replies but it's worth it if it spreads the massage :-D

THIS!!!

+1
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby well-chilled-out » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:53 pm

A huge 'WELL-DONE ALL' ...Since my original thread the response was huge. Was at Polzeath last week on an absolute perfect day of spring sunshine & beautiful waves. I thanked the beach by picking up my obligatory piece of rubbish when a young lad came over carrying a plastic water bottle. He thanked me for picking up litter & said he'd been inspired by a topic on a site called Magic Seaweed & had I seen it ? ha ha ....The recent storms have washed up all manner of rubbish & there are those (thankfully) doing far more than me. Our little un-sung crusade to keep our beaches beautiful is a personal one, you won't be thanked but just look back at the beach before you leave & smile - you have done something truly magnificent !
Beaches aint rubbish, they're beautiful !
well-chilled-out

Postby roberdy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:21 pm

All you had to do was ask!! :)

I'll admit I was never one to go litter picking on the beach, never enough time, too cold, snowing too much etc in Scotland. It's different here in Oz, generally the beaches are much cleaner, more people are interested in keeping them clean and work towards that. But the Decorator gave me pause for thought one day when he stepped over a fence to grab some litter to take off the beach up on the Sunshine coast. Now I am more aware of it everywhere I go.

On the dog shit thread, there are specific beaches where dogs are allowed here and mostly people do pick up their shite and take it all the way to the bin, it's much more visible I guess. Helps to know if you are crossing a dog beach on your way to the waves though, gotta keep the shit-radar running till you hit the waves !!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Next

Return to General