Great news For North wales surfers.

For discussion of surf forecasting science and technology, wave science, weather and board mechanics or for any questions about the magicseaweed.com forecasts and software.

Great news For North wales surfers.

Postby surfguru » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:48 pm

Well just been looking at this page from met check.
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/winter.asp

makes all good reading for north wales and other western areas this winter will it happen though
comments
For Forecasts and Pictures for Surfing in North East England and Wales Go to

http://s3.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=4644
surfguru

Postby lostboy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:02 pm

Sounds quite interesting - especially the bit about more sw'erly low pressure systems. Fingers crossed!
Kill. Destroy. Plunder.
lostboy

Postby surfguru » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:01 am

Ben, last winter was on the cold side up here , with a really bad winter up in north wales for swells well the north east had wall to wall groundswells , mainly because the lows were tracking more north to avoid high pressure in the mid atlantic there was only really one great spell that was in early jan all the winter in north wales , now this year if the high is further north the lows would be more south, thats just fine for our swell window up here and also the winds would swing offshore as the low moves away east.
Btw i looked up metchecks forecast 2 months ago for the last week of oct school hols and they predicted a very unesettled week with lots of lows about and they were spot on and i was rewarded with a great week of work with good surf. for me its worth the risk better chance if planning a weeks surf in the uks frickle surf conditions.
The forecast they use is based on trends the last week of oct is normally a good week for swells in uk , last year threw up big swells the same week, its all a bit of a guess but certain times of the year do appear to have some sort of patterns to them, so much so that big buiness chains use these trends forecasts to no when to buy ice cream etc, and this is where these weather experts make there money selling info to the likes of marks and other big shopping chains.
here is the link for those intested in knowing what things will be like over the next 6 months.
http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/singularities.asp

surfguru

Postby Leedsol » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:04 pm

Agree - last winter was sooo cold in the east that I've gone for a 6mm this year.

I remember surfing with Danny1 in Northumbria in march and they're was still snow on the hills and a biting cold wind which when coupled with a 1/2 mile walk over a farmers field to a mysto left (which worked nice - good os research danny) was not pleasant.

I'm gonna have to follow u in wales sg (I know ur car now - same as mine) to some spots beyond the main 3 - I keep checking out two I have in mind but the swells haven't seemed to wrap in when I've been there (north of PO, by a golfcourse)
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby surfguru » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:07 pm

Leedsol wrote:Agree - last winter was sooo cold in the east that I've gone for a 6mm this year.

I remember surfing with Danny1 in Northumbria in march and they're was still snow on the hills and a biting cold wind which when coupled with a 1/2 mile walk over a farmers field to a mysto left (which worked nice - good os research danny) was not pleasant.

I'm gonna have to follow u in wales sg (I know ur car now - same as mine) to some spots beyond the main 3 - I keep checking out two I have in mind but the swells haven't seemed to wrap in when I've been there (north of PO, by a golfcourse)

yes keep in touch on my forum m8 your always welcome to join me you surf on your own or with one other your bloody good and that will do for me.
Trends forecasts are without dought helpfull for long range forecasts and metcheck is a excellent general weather site,after all its the weather systems out there that control our surf.
Like sj at a1 i look at all weather charts swell charts etc not just noaa and can normally forecast about 4 days ahead sometimes up to a week and sometimes 8/9 days depending on if the weather charts all agree with one another.
That is where the system on here falls down sorry ben not having a go at you here as your info comes from elsewhere cause the forecast for a week ahead is based on only noaa data and behond 4 days they can be a joke with every 6 hrs the forecast changes, a good sign of the info been correct is a steady forecast , by that the info stays the same every 6 hrs changeover.
Anyways m8 youll be off to some nice warm waves soon lucky so and so.
see you soon

surfguru

Postby Hokusai » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:04 pm

Agree - last winter was sooo cold in the east that I've gone for a 6mm this year.

A weeks worth of snow late on, and we didn't have a decent ground frost all winter. :roll:
Yes I know life's not fair.

Carpe Cerevisi
Hokusai

Postby Leedsol » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:16 pm

A weeks worth of snow late on, and we didn't have a decent ground frost all winter.

Coldest I've known mate and I've got the memory of an elephant.

I give you the facts:

snow at xmas 'cos I was on the motorway
nw/ne winds all winter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ukweather/ ... view.shtml

:?

6mm allowed me to surf n.wales today though without boots - result
Leedsol

Postby Leedsol » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:22 pm

You can also check dec/nov 2004 on that

sorry to be pedantic but I deal in fact and don't bullshit
Leedsol

Postby surfrett » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:42 pm

[quote] Agree - last winter was sooo cold in the east that I've gone for a 6mm this year. [quote]

so theres no chance im gonna last in my 90 pound oneill epic! :lol: great fit too :x

nah i ve got a 5/4/3 toasty bodyglove..not as flexible as me oneill was the bollux last winter! although i never do seem to wear a hood, or even gloves most of the winter :roll: :twisted:

gotta love the freezing bitter cold winter waves though :shock: :shock: :twisted:

hope we all get some of the winter magic :D
surfrett

Postby Hokusai » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:15 am

sorry to be pedantic but I deal in fact and don't bullshit

Niether do I.

http://www.metoffice.com/climate/uk/2005/winter/maps.html

On the ANOMALY maps red contours mark areas that are above average and blue contours mark areas that are below average.

Looks like an awefull lot of red to me.

PS. this elephant goes back nearly 50 years. :wink:

Carpe Cerevisi
Hokusai

Postby surfguru » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:52 am

Charts dont always show the true feel of things like wind chill for instance temps are for the record say 5 degres but the real feel with the wind from the north will be -5 thats where the difference was last year and thats why it was so cold feeling.
the temp chart only shows the temp and not the wind chill.
wind chill comes from mainly north west to se winds in winter wish last winter prevaled more than the south west to west winds we normally get.
If you look on metcheck they show two temps one is the temp and the other the real feel the real feel is important when you deside what gear to wear at the beach use it to help you stay warm.

surfguru

Postby Leedsol » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:35 am

Good retort Hoksui but the rolling eyes wound me up

Must be I feel the windchill more as a stand up or you have acclimatised more over the years like all the geordie lasses with corn beef legs/micro skirts in january!! :lol: (joke)
Last edited by Leedsol on Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leedsol

Postby Leedsol » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:36 am

Good retort Hoksui but the rolling eyes wound me up

Must be I feel the windchill more as a stand up or you have acclimatised more over the years like all the geordie lasses with corn beef legs/micro skirts in january!! :lol: (joke)
Leedsol

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:14 am

Well I'll be doing what I always do... making the most of what ever presents it'self. If its better than average sweet! if not then at least i didn't get my hopes up too much.
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Postby surfguru » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:47 pm

PapaWoolacombe wrote:Well I'll be doing what I always do... making the most of what ever presents it'self. If its better than average sweet! if not then at least i didn't get my hopes up too much.

Be hard pushed to be worst than last year. And already a great start to this winter season.

surfguru

Postby hughesy » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:54 pm

I'll go along with that. Last winter was the worst I can remember.
hughesy

Postby PapaWoolacombe » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:38 pm

Fo' sure.
With 73% of the planet under water perhaps Earth should be re-named Ocean
PapaWoolacombe

Postby Hokusai » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:00 pm

I'll go along with that. Last winter was the worst I can remember

D'oh.

Look at the temperature map on the previous page. :wink:

Carpe Cerevisi
Hokusai

Postby hughesy » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:54 pm

I was refering to the surf not the temperature. Who care how cold it is if the waves are good.
hughesy

Postby surfguru » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:47 pm

Hokusai wrote:
I'll go along with that. Last winter was the worst I can remember

D'oh.

Look at the temperature map on the previous page. :wink:

lol have you missed a page out m8 :?: :?:

Think we moved back onto the north wales surf didnt we :wink: :wink:
Last edited by surfguru on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

surfguru

Postby surfguru » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:49 pm

hughesy wrote:I was refering to the surf not the temperature. Who care how cold it is if the waves are good.

did you get in sat nice longboard waves at a certain spot at low tide.

surfguru

Postby hughesy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:41 pm

surfguru wrote:
hughesy wrote:I was refering to the surf not the temperature. Who care how cold it is if the waves are good.

did you get in sat nice longboard waves at a certain spot at low tide.

Nah, had to do something else sat so went to hm this morning for 1st light. Was v small, 1-2 feet but lovely glassy little peelers so had a nice time in the sunshine. Not too many out early either. 3 carloads of what looked like students turned up as we were leaving bout 11am. Shame for em as it had gone pretty much flat by then :wink:
hughesy

Postby surfguru » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:39 pm

hughesy wrote:Nah, had to do something else sat so went to hm this morning for 1st light. Was v small, 1-2 feet but lovely glassy little peelers so had a nice time in the sunshine. Not too many out early either. 3 carloads of what looked like students turned up as we were leaving bout 11am. Shame for em as it had gone pretty much flat by then :wink:

oh dear shame that lol wonder where they were from. :roll: :roll:

surfguru

Postby Leedsol » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:34 pm

This forecast panned out - been a great winter on the Lleyn this year and long term forecast looks to be bringing more good waves next week. A windsurfer I know also predicted it last may when he was going on about the position of the gulf stream last year (which I didn't follow other than the general conclusion) - think I'll have another pint with him soon.

Weird winds for 2 years now on the east coast despite constant swells :(
Leedsol

Return to Surf Science