QUESTION: low-mid range budget gear

Share your photos with other surfers here or discuss photography, technique and equipment.

QUESTION: low-mid range budget gear

Postby Tev » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:36 pm

Hey all,

I'm looking to get some surf photography equipment and I'm just wondering what's considered decent. My budget isn't huge which in the world of photography isn't really helpful!

I wouldn't consider myself to be a beginner photographer; I work as a graphic designer and I'm used to taking my work camera out and taking photos in a studio environment.

I read on this site, that the Sony a6000 is pretty good (although the lenses seem to be overly pricey!) ... aphy-gear/
And I've watched this video on the a6000
What's the goss? Is the Sony a6000 as good as this website says it is for a low budget camera? Are there any better DSLR equivalents? How does the a6000 perform in day-to-day non sports photography?

Ideally I'm looking for a camera that performs well in the water as well as shooting from the beach.

Tom :-)

Re: QUESTION: low-mid range budget gear

Postby wurfysurfy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:15 am

I use budget to midrange gear,check out these online.

Pentax Q7, superceded so discounted a bit....its kind of a mini DSLR with a point and shoot 12mp sensor.Interchangeable lenses and cheap generic adapters to take many brands of lens.Great for street photography too but I use mine for the long telephoto surf stuff.Crop factor of 4.7x, so a 300 becomes 1410mm, so you get close to most surf spots.

Samsung NX300 APSc sensor size and range of lenses but adapters fix that too...its superceded and is excellent value if you shop around

Pentax K50 DSLR, APSc sensor too...a weather sealed body and plenty of telephoto "WR"(weather resistant) lenses available.....its superceded but a fine camera for is just ok....the APSc sensor crops a 300 becomes 450mm equivalent to full frame

Plenty of youtube stuff on these...also visit a wealth of knowledge from Pentaxians worldwide

Bridge cameras/Superzooms are ok too....mine is the Olympus sp100 EE(eagle eye) which uses a red dot sight so you don't lose the subject

hope this helps...I own all these models and think they are all good

Return to Surf Photography