christenson - Pukas vs US made

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

christenson - Pukas vs US made

Postby adam » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 am

Anyone got any thoughts on the boards Christenson is producing at Pukas? Mainly thinking about the quality of the glassing and finish. Thinking of ordering a Nautilus, but is it worth the effort of finding a US import?
adam

Re: christenson - Pukas vs US made

Postby thechimp » Thu May 31, 2018 7:00 am

adam wrote:Anyone got any thoughts on the boards Christenson is producing at Pukas? Mainly thinking about the quality of the glassing and finish. Thinking of ordering a Nautilus, but is it worth the effort of finding a US import?

Good question, both the Pukas and the Olatu factory website don't mention the boards are machine shaped, the only reference is the pdf file:
a new surfboards design and modeling process - EHU, google CNC machine at the Olatu factory to find it.

I've no doubt about the quality, now the factory is back up and running after last years fire, and will depend on what price you can get one for, but the import's resale value will always be more.
thechimp

Postby ears » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 pm

I fondled a c bucket yesterday (as you do) made at pukas, wrapped in volan and it was pretty flawless.. the owner of said board also had a christenson fish from Pukas and the glassing was ridiculously light.. you could fart at the board and it would ding.. he surfed it twice and took it back to down the line.. i think the current boards coming out of pukas are pretty spot on - arguably the moonlight finished boards are better.. but getting them made by cnc in spain or in cali doesnt seem to make much difference. I don't think any of christensons boards are hand shapes so shouldn't really be an issue.. I also think Nautilus are rare as rocking horse poo.. so you may have to go custom :-)
ears

Postby ears » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:42 pm

forgot to add.. he had a cali made fish as well so could make the comparison, i've got a US made c bucket which is still going strong.. :-)
ears

Postby WeAreMemories » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:27 pm

DTL are taking custom orders till 9th June as CC is visiting Europe, might be a good option for shipping, and touched by the hand of the man.
WeAreMemories

Postby adam » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:42 pm

I new CC was coming hence the question. Sounds like the quality is good then, thanks guys. Now, has anyone ridden a Nautilus?
adam

Postby thechimp » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:57 am

You could try asking Captain Nemo............... :-)
thechimp

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:08 pm

One of the ‘Lucky Bastards’ are over seeing much of the CC glassing now and everything is CNC’d. Blanks and glassing seem on par with Moonlight now.
buttholesurfer

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:56 pm

^^^I take back all I’ve said from the above comment...you get a Christenson Pukas made board it’s a 50/50 split, it’s either good or shocking. Seeing as the price is premium, I’m sure a lot of folks are turned off by the reviews. End of the day if you’re paying £700 plus for a board you want a top board.
buttholesurfer

Postby Chrisisted » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:27 pm

I’ve enjoyed surfing my Tracker 2.0, had it out a few times in France. I will report back on build quality after a few more surfs. Seems ok so far - fingers crossed
Chrisisted

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design