Gulfstream Slim Pig or Quickstep?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Gulfstream Slim Pig or Quickstep?

Postby Goat » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:44 am

Am thinking of re-adding a longboard to the quiver.

Sold all my other boards previously and just been on the 6’10” eggplant since, which has been an incredible all-rounder. But definitely think a log would be a great compliment to it.

Years ago, I had a performance noserider from Black & White. It was fun, but I found myself too often trying to throw it around like a shorter board, so for those purposes, always found shorter boards more fun.

I’m therefore looking for something a bit more traditional/log-esque, where I can concentrate more on the noseriding side of things, have plenty of glide, but ideally like it to handle beachbreaks ok and hack some turns. Must admit, the Saunton Foil doesn’t appeal much due to that. Likewise, not keen on the modern longboarding aesthetic.

A style somewhere in the middle, like Alex Knost or Harrison Roach is the ideal, IMO.

So thinking perhaps either the Gulfstream Slim Pig, or Quickstep. Would the former fit the bill?
Goat

Re: Gulfstream Slim Pig or Quickstep?

Postby ears » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:56 pm

I'm no logger but i think slim pig all day long..

and congratulations on the one board quiver.. aka the holy grail!
ears

Postby Jory » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:11 pm

Slim Pig!

Then I would say that since I designed it! :-). It's based off the boards that Harrison roach and knost ride and is aiming to be a board that you can jam turns on but retain a traditional style. It turns a lot better than a Saunton foil especially if you use a greenough 4a style fin (which is what it's designed to use) but it still draws traditional lines. It noserides great too and works well in a steeper wave. If you go custom you can tweak exactly where it sits in the turns/ faster wave vs noseriding/ small wave spectrum depending on the amount of foam in it. It does need to be surfed with a traditional footwork mindset

I've been riding one recently that has almost a full length concave in it with a super flexy fin (Google ms surfboards cinnamon girl model for an idea of what I mean) it's the best turning log I've ever ridden and is as an amazing high performing traditional shape.

The Quickstep is more along the lines of your old black and white, more of an all around 3 fun longboard just without being too naff progressive longboarding. It's probably a tiny bit more forgiving to surf and will turn a little bit more like a big version of your eggplant that noserides too if that makes sense?
Jory

Postby Goat » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:19 pm

Great, thanks Jory, Slim Pig it is!
Goat

Postby g_baby » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:09 pm

Hiya Jory, or anyone of you gifted,

would love to ask for your advice on those bottoms on board in a short package, like on one of those mini-logs, carpet-sized boards, in sub 7ft maybe?
Wondering whether it's worth a try or do you think it might be too fickle without the length?

Looks interesting on those longboards.
Cheers, George.
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby Jory » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:08 pm

Hi

I guess it would have the same effect - loosen up a single fin. That said, if you're talking shorter boards there are other options. "Mini logs" or magic carpets are too much of a compromise anyway for my tastes. Don't behave like a proper longboard as they're too short and other designs turn better. In a longboard the concave is adding looseness to a board that is generally harder to turn because of its length and soft rails which you need for it to noseride and surf in a traditional sense. You aren't constrained by that with a mid length, the shorter tprail ine ,asked for a looser board and you aren't noseriding in a "proper" sense.

For midlength I prefer an eggy template ( takayama howard kinda thing ) with roll entry into single then vee'd double concave put the back, hard rails in the tail and a 2+1. You get plenty of performance but still nice trim and flow that way.

That's personal opinion on the feel I like though!
Jory

Postby g_baby » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:21 am

Lovely, thanks for your reply.

It's always a personal view, haven't expected anything else. So thanks a lot for sharing your opinion.
Personally, I haven't had very good experiences with an eggy shape - but having said that, it was probably me rather than the eggy shape! :lol:
---
Surf's Out There Somewhere.
g_baby

Postby thechimp » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 am

Jory wrote: naff progressive longboarding.

interesting thread.......bit off topic but the comment above just struck a cord as just prior to reading this thread i watched the short vid by Chris Levi on that day at Leven.
great short vid on a great day, but would have been even better if just a few more guys were on a bit more diverse equipment and drawing different lines, eg ultra short fish or traditional longboards, i'm not putting down anyone or their ability but BS just as well be on a shortboard (that day).
I hope he and the rest of the Brits make it to the Noosa festival next month as Phil Jarratt is no longer running it and the WSL longboard tour kicks off with its first contest of the season incorporated into the Festival. An interesting note is that Anyone in the world can enter (without qualification) just pay your entry fee, be interesting to see the judging between traditional and so called progressive. Just hope their is a massive NE swell.

https://www.noosafestivalofsurfing.com/ ... ries-open/
thechimp

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design