Wooden board build?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Wooden board build?

Postby Chris152 » Fri May 31, 2019 4:28 pm

Anyone any thoughts on where to get a template and method for building a wooden board? I've searched the net but what I've found looks sketchy/ lacks detail on how to do the build. Can't afford to go on a course but have some woodworking skills and I think all the kit I would need. Thanks for any advice, Chris.
Chris152

Re: Wooden board build?

Postby Black » Fri May 31, 2019 10:41 pm

Swaylocks has all you need.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Philshoz » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:52 am

https://www.blendingcurves.com/

Very good resource for templates.
Philshoz

Postby Chris152 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:36 am

Thanks both.

Swaylocks led me to this page which is really good on method:
http://sliverpaddleboards.com/paddleboard-building/
Blending curves doesn't seem to have plans for hollow board construction, but I found a few in the US via Woodboardforum.

Has anyone else here (the forum) tried to build/ built a wooden board? Stuff from the US (including CNC cut ribs etc) but not more locally?
Chris152

Postby Black » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:52 am

I started one but never finished. Used boardcad for design stage and cut the parts on a cad machine. Glued up the ribs on the bottom and lost impetus - the story of my life! Then decided on a different design and destroyed it!
Otter surfboards down here does courses if thats of interest.
Black

Postby Black » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:04 am

Also I remember Frosties from this forum used to do some great wooden boards, he's Driftwood surfboards but not sure if he's active any more.
This makes me want to make a wooden board now!
Black

Postby Chris152 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:54 am

A course would be great but not in my budget! And CNC would be great too - but this'll end up being hand cut for the same reason. I can't design it as I haven't got a clue so it'll have to be buying a paper template for everything - it's my son that wants the board and we'll build it together this summer, something about 8'2" and simple/ easy ride shape.

I reckon you should have another go Black - post your progress here and we'll follow one step behind... :-)
Chris152

Postby Black » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:14 pm

I will probably have another go at some point but when I get to thinking about the rails my brain goes to mush.
My simplified design idea has a central midrib running along the length and then just solid rails with a one-piece skin top & bottom. No glassing.
One day!
Black

Postby spewing » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:10 pm

have a look at

https://www.woodboardforum.com

Never got round to building a board but designed oen in board cad and if you search on wood board forum you'll find links to a program that will convert your design to templates for a fish bone design that you can print full size and then cut out of plywood.

Like a lot of things in my life I only got as far as printing everything out before something else more pressing got in the way and that was that :roll:
spewing

Postby Chris152 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:45 am

Yep, that's looking like a good site - tho I need to get a template off the shelf, I can't possibly design a decent board. It's just a really simple, easy ride mini mal we're wanting to build, still can't find a uk supplier. I can get templates from the US (which is probably the way to go, and for about $180 I can get the ribs pre-cnc-cut delivered from there (tbh I don't look forward to cutting those things)). I'd prefer to buy in UK if I can tho...
Chris152

Postby Black » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:02 am

Don't spend money on getting stuff from the USA. Boardcad has stock designs of a number of shapes so will have what you want ready done. I was doing a shortboard so only have short designs on my computer. I tweaked a shortboard stock shape for my project but you could easily just use a stock one. I can't remember how I created the cad files for cutting, I'll have a look on my computer and see if there's some clue as I don't have boardcad on it any more. I'm sure you could get the bits cut over here cheap enough.
Edit: I was working at a place that had a machine so got it cut for free.

I think there are printable templates out there somewhere but a quick google didn't find anything useful.
Black

Postby jam bo » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:49 pm

jam bo

Postby Chris152 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:34 am

They have a couple at about the right length jam bo, and I think Fyne have a long-standing reputation for boat plans? But £110 for the paper template's still pretty steep.
I saw this tho, people refer to his work a fair bit and at $20 it's cheap: http://treetosea.org/richs-template-shop/ I was thinking of the 8' one. Be a lot eassier to spend the money if I knew it was a good board.
Does this look a decent shape? http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/8SS.PDF
Thanks.
Chris152

Postby Black » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:57 am

Yes that looks ok (I remember that site from when I was looking round) and at twenty bucks is far more reasonable but would be interested to know what you get for that.

Can't find much left on my computer from my old build except some pics of the stage I got to but I remembered in Boardcad you can add any number of cross-sections as well as outline & rocker which can be output in dxf for cad machines but I can tell you're not going that route!!!

Keep us informed how it goes.
Black

Postby Chris152 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:29 am

Problem is, his last post was in 2015 and the forum he had is now gone - no idea if he's still there! might post on woodboardforum to find out...
Chris152

Postby Chris152 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:26 pm

Update - apparently that site's just historical now so not possible to get plans there.

Just spoke with my son and I've got it all wrong - he wants to build a short board and plans to get a cheap longer board so he can use it this summer. So - another question if I can derail my own thread for a minute?

He used to surf aged about 6-7, could plane along waves and was getting on fine. Then family arrangements changed and I couldn't really surf with him much, but he wants to get back into it now (he's 16). I thought about getting the NSP 8' board (£400) but then saw Triocean boards are cheaper. Which do you reckon would be better for him to get back into the surf? NSp I guess are tougher, but how would it compare to other cheaper boards? (I have searched Triocean/ NSP on the site but can't get my head around what's best.)
Chris152

Postby spewing » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am

Chris152 wrote: I thought about getting the NSP 8' board (£400) but then saw Triocean boards are cheaper. Which do you reckon would be better for him to get back into the surf? NSp I guess are tougher, but how would it compare to other cheaper boards? (I have searched Triocean/ NSP on the site but can't get my head around what's best.)

The NSP boards will be stronger but heavier. There main market is beginners and hire centres, situations where the board doesn't get looked after very well so they are built to meet those conditions. Ive always thought that the shapes were quite good. Again aimed at here target market but consistently good because they come out of a mould rather than shaped by someone in China who has never seen the sea let alone a wave.

I was in Triocen and asked Dave how / where he was getting a board from to sell for £375.
The Triocen boards are shaped and glassed etc. in the UK buy a highly reputable shaper. The reason Triocen can get them down to that price is they import and supply the resin, glass and blanks etc. so they are only adding the cost of the UK labour.
The boards won't be as durable as the NSP boards but if you look after them they won't be any worse than any other PU custom board and will probably be a lot lot better than anything that comes out of China and possibly some big European factories (there won't be any sand through covered up buy the top coat)

It all boils down to how well you are going to look after the board (beginners tend not to)

The Triocen boards in my opinion at that price they are phenomenal value for money for what they are.
IF you buy one get a bag for it as soon as you pick it up
spewing

Postby Chris152 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:56 am

That's a real help, thanks spewing.
What can you expect an 8' handmade board to weigh? The NSP weighs 5.6kg, apparently. (For some reason, board makers tend not to advertise the weight of their boards?)
Cheers, C
Chris152

Postby Chris152 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:44 am

Well, looks like we're going for the plan linked to on this page:
https://www.instructables.com/id/Hollow ... ic-Carpet/
We might downsize it to 7', but the plan looks fine and it's free!

On the other question (Triocean/ nsp) have nsp changed the way they're making boards from a decade or two go? I remember the old pop-outs being really heavy and not something you'd want landing on your head, but watching vids and looking at how they're now made, they look pretty decent? I've got several boards, most handmade (and now all old), but the last one I bought about 12 years ago was a bic e-comp, 9'4". I met a fella in France surfing one and he was incredibly good on it (to my eyes), I had a go on his and loved it (first time on a longboard). The board's still capable of much more than I am in the sea, no dings in spite of getting some whacks in the water and out.
Chris152

Postby thechimp » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:03 am

Hi Chris, re NSP/ Triocean,
10 plus years ago NSP were exactly as you say, pretty much awfull pop outs, but times have changed, NSP now comes under Surftech, Randy French started Surftech early nineties, the boards were made in the Cobra factory in Thailand and IMO were great, strong boards. RF sold out to an investment company and now NSP is under the Surftech Label. Have a look at the latest Surftech page, after the Takayama's Stewarts and Gerry Lopez's and you will find the NSP range. I've had a look at the Longboards, especially the cocomat models and they are vastly different to the ones you remember.
Nothing wrong with the Tricean boards, they are made using South African materials and ZA is the bargain basement of the world for all surfboards, the rate today is 18.75 rand to the pound and you can get a good shortboard around 200 quid.
Years ago i saw Nat young riding a BIC 9'4, there was contest where everyone rode the same boards, he was just as good on it as any of his customs.
I'd try and get a second hand later generation NSP for your son, will be way stronger than a PU custom, I expect the highly reputable UK shaper is a CNC machine.
thechimp

Postby Chris152 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks thechimp - really helpful reply! I've now spent ages reading around the surftech website and decided (after heading out in the sea this weekend, too) that what he needs is an 8'6" Protech board, tho I can't find anyone who sells it in the UK - just the Elements board in that size, which is about 1kg heavier. They have the 8' and 9' protechs in stock, tho, we'll see.
My Bic has the Nat Young/ Rooster mark on it, there's an old review of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLB7EdxQy2E - but at 8.2 kg it's quite a weight.

Anyhoo, I've just finished printing the template for the 7'6" frame for our board build, I'll update here as it goes! For anyone who's interested, you download as pdf, open in Adobe Reader and print as a poster at 100%.

Cheers, and thanks again, C.
Chris152

Postby Chris152 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:52 pm

Nearly there!
IMG_2105 (3).jpg
IMG_2105 (3).jpg (132.58 KiB) Viewed 849 times

Ply base, stringer and ribs; spruce, pine and beech deck. Final sanding to go, then glassing. If we don't mess up the glassing, I'll do a blog post and put the link here if anyone's interested to see how we did it.

ps After much faffing and wondering, we drove down to St Agnes to get him a Beachbeat fatboy flyer about a month ago, he loves it!
Chris152

Postby Chris152 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:48 pm

What size fin do we need for all rounding - it'll be for small waves, sweeping turns, old fashioned? It's a 7' 6" magic carpet, single fin. Ta.
Chris152

Postby spewing » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:13 pm

Board is looking good.

Chris152 wrote:What size fin do we need for all rounding - it'll be for small waves, sweeping turns, old fashioned? It's a 7' 6" magic carpet, single fin. Ta.

depending on your weight. Heavier = more fin area

Single fin 8" or 9"

2+1 (larger fin in box and two trusters) 6 or 7" centre with two small trusters 3 1/2 to 4"
spewing

Postby Chris152 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:32 pm

Thanks spewing - I think we'll go for 9", assuming it works ok once it's in the water. Til then, it's now got my 10" squirrel(?) on to see how it goes. Finished this morning, cut back and levelled the fin box, we think it's looking good!
_MG_8636small.jpg
_MG_8636small.jpg (29.64 KiB) Viewed 402 times

_MG_8638small.jpg
_MG_8638small.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 402 times

IMG_2177small.jpg
IMG_2177small.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 402 times
Chris152

Postby Chris152 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:00 am

Here's the link to the build, plenty of pics and some description:
https://chrisshortwood-work.blogspot.co ... build.html
Chris152

Postby Black » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:58 am

Chris152 wrote:Here's the link to the build, plenty of pics and some description:
https://chrisshortwood-work.blogspot.co ... build.html
Well done, that looks like a hell of a lot of work you persevered through and I realise why I gave up on my effort.
What's the next one going to be?
Black

Postby Chris152 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:32 am

Thanks Black - next up will be an attempt at a 9' noserider, I think. The boy keeps taking mine when we're out, leaving me with his flyer which I'm pretty hopeless on.
Problem is, to do it I'll have to completely reorganise a spare room which is horribly boring to do. Definitely will need to shell out for lighter/ better wood this time - the 7'6" is heavy, you wouldn't want the 9' equivalent landing on your head. The thing is to set it up somewhere you can do a bit at a time, no rush, just get on with it when you feel like it - lots of work but over time it's really a pleasure to do. except when you snap a rail strip, that's pretty annoying...

ps Anybody know what's happened to https://www.woodboardforum.com linked to above? It's stopped working - shame, it's a great forum.
Chris152

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design