All round short board advice?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

All round short board advice?

Postby Chris152 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:53 am

I bought a FatBoy Flyer for my lad (17) last summer to learn on and now he wants something shorter and more responsive. I can't advise him, it's decades since I rode a short board (and then v badly) and as far as I knew they were all pretty much similar (no idea really) - now it seems there's endless variations. He had a go on a 6'2" Fourth board a few months back and really liked it but having looked on the site I don't know which one it was (it was at The Wave in Bristol).

Anyway, if we're looking for a standard short board that fits most conditions (Wales, Cornwall), what would you recommend? He's about 170 lbs and 5'10" and still growing, I don't want to buy another for a few years.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Chris152

Re: All round short board advice?

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Lost Short Round , generates its own speed, turns well and will surf mediocre waves well. Has a fuller nose so will paddle into a wave no problem.
buttholesurfer

Postby Chris152 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:46 am

Thanks for that - I like the idea it has more width at the front. It's an expensive board tho, I should have said up to about 500 which still seems lots to me. Would this £550 Doofer hit the same kind of all-round target too? https://www.surfdome.com/Fourth-Surfboa ... hite+Black
Chris152

Postby Black » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Chris152 wrote:Thanks for that - I like the idea it has more width at the front. It's an expensive board tho, I should have said up to about 500 which still seems lots to me. Would this £550 Doofer hit the same kind of all-round target too? https://www.surfdome.com/Fourth-Surfboa ... hite+Black
Think you are looking at the Libtech version which is more expensive. I can't see any normal ones for sale. The Doofer has less volume than the LSR but is supposed to work in all conditions although I would say the Reload is more like the LSR overall. The thing is its all about personal preference. I've got 3 boards with very similar dimensions that surf quite differently from each other but all would fit your requirements, as you say there are so many options and I'm not helping clarify that much!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris152 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:56 pm

That's brilliant Black - we'd missed the reload, more volume and fuller at the front's going to be good here I think, stepping up from the Flyer but hopefully still lots of waves. And it's sub 500.

So - 5' 10" and 70 Kgs (got his weight wrong above). I'm thinking 6'4" board to allow him to keep growing - does that sound ok, been surfing one year and doing fine? Piece of string i guess but we've got to make a decision. He was ok on a 6 2 and was happy on a 5 10 old fish i have, but I really want something he can grow with. It's tricky when you can't just try them all for size...
Chris152

Postby Black » Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:55 pm

I would suggest the 6'2" - he's light & young... even if he puts on 10kg it will still be plenty of volume but you know better really as I'm just guessing what he's like.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris152 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Ok, 6 2 it is, if it's no good I'll blame you :-) ha

Thanks both - really helpful.
Chris152

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design