Fishy stuff

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Re: Fishy stuff

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:26 am

Without knowing how far you have pushed the fish, that's a tough call - I think trying to take 2 boards if you can is a good idea anyway..

Mainland Sumatra or the islands?
Archy_is_God

Postby gingerandy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:23 am

2 weeks in Bali, mostly on the Bukit and then 10 days in South Sumatra - if i could afford the Mentawais i could definitely afford the extra weight and bring a second board.

Been surfing the Incut whatever i can handle for two winters in Ireland and a couple of trips to Morocco - up to double overhead as long as it's not heaving. Only found myself in the situation of wishing i was on something longer a couple of sessions in Ireland this winter, but still managed to get a few waves - just really have to nail the drop and then it's a breeze. Sits high in the pocket with ease and handles plenty of speed - put it on a rail at high speed and things can get a bit ropey though; fun, but ropey :o A couple of sessions in good waves on my backhand at fast overhead points in Ireland and one particularly heavy session at Killers in Morocco have me convinced of the capabilities of this board and how far it can be pushed; i don't know how much further it would be pushed in Indo, or how much more powerful the waves are over there?

If i'm asking the question i think i know the answer: Suck it up, and bring TWO boards. I quite simply would not leave the fish at home!
gingerandy

Postby JoeSchmoe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:06 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Wow, almost a year and a half since the last post!

Last day in Bali today and have ridden my Jim Banks Mk3 twin keel to death.... From 2ft Bingin to 6ft Uluwatu Temple, the thing just works

The flavour of the month has moved away from fishes a little unfairly I reckon, but hopefully this may mean some secondhand gems popping up now :wink: In fact, there's a couple of beauts in the For Sale section right now....

Thing is though, the flavour of the month isn't about a board to ride in overhead conditions - it's about easy paddling and loads of speed - I think that's why there's been a move away from fishes.

That being said, I now own a Mk2 Banks. It's just what I need.
JoeSchmoe

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:21 pm

Joe, I don't understand what you mean - are you saying that you feel that Fishes do not paddle well and only work in overhead conditions?
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:25 pm

gingerandy wrote:2 weeks in Bali, mostly on the Bukit and then 10 days in South Sumatra - if i could afford the Mentawais i could definitely afford the extra weight and bring a second board.

Been surfing the Incut whatever i can handle for two winters in Ireland and a couple of trips to Morocco - up to double overhead as long as it's not heaving. Only found myself in the situation of wishing i was on something longer a couple of sessions in Ireland this winter, but still managed to get a few waves - just really have to nail the drop and then it's a breeze. Sits high in the pocket with ease and handles plenty of speed - put it on a rail at high speed and things can get a bit ropey though; fun, but ropey :o A couple of sessions in good waves on my backhand at fast overhead points in Ireland and one particularly heavy session at Killers in Morocco have me convinced of the capabilities of this board and how far it can be pushed; i don't know how much further it would be pushed in Indo, or how much more powerful the waves are over there?

If i'm asking the question i think i know the answer: Suck it up, and bring TWO boards. I quite simply would not leave the fish at home!

Yep - I would take the fish no matter what, but two boards is always better, if only for security in case of snappage!

Size for size, there is more power in most cases in Indo waves, but like here, there is a massive variety. On the whole, I find that as they are generally more lined-up/clean, then you can ride a smaller board than what you may do elsewhere.
Archy_is_God

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:00 pm

JoeSchmoe wrote:
Archy_is_God wrote:Wow, almost a year and a half since the last post!

Last day in Bali today and have ridden my Jim Banks Mk3 twin keel to death.... From 2ft Bingin to 6ft Uluwatu Temple, the thing just works

The flavour of the month has moved away from fishes a little unfairly I reckon, but hopefully this may mean some secondhand gems popping up now :wink: In fact, there's a couple of beauts in the For Sale section right now....

Thing is though, the flavour of the month isn't about a board to ride in overhead conditions - it's about easy paddling and loads of speed - I think that's why there's been a move away from fishes.

That being said, I now own a Mk2 Banks. It's just what I need.

Easy paddling, loads of speed... Is a fish.
buttholesurfer

Postby JoeSchmoe » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:32 pm

Sorry guys - should've been a bit clearer (or taken a bit more time)...

You're of course right that fishes are easy paddlers and have lots of speed available, and that I think is why they started to increase in popularity - it makes them a logical choice if you want something that's going to work in more marginal conditions and can allow you to increase your wave count while not going for a longer board.

But -

In the last couple of years, a lot of other board designs have come around that also are easy paddlers and have loads of speed available - everything from the Rusty dwart and it's cousins (for want of a better term) to the minisim collection of boards and finally the family of boards that in some way take elements from fishes, simmons etc and crowbar them into a more mainstream influenced design. So just from that, there's been an increase in the choices available if you're looking for an easy paddler with lots of speed.

So -

My grand theory of fish design decline is this: Five years ago, if you wanted to buy an easy paddling board with loads of speed you bought a fish. Because that's pretty much all there was. Now, if you want to buy an easy paddling board you've got loads of choice, and most people will choose a board that rides in a (for want of a better term) mainstream manner. This means that fishes are no longer the obvious choice.

All that being said, I think they're missing out. It seems that for me, even quads are too new fangled and I have way more fun on twins than I do on anything else.

Hope that all makes sense.
JoeSchmoe

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:27 am

Yeah, know what you mean now! The options are definitely more varied if you are looking for something with natural speed and flow in smaller stuff.... Hard to beat the range that a good fish can cope with and that on-rail feeling at speed when laying one over on a nice open face 8)

Did anyone spot (or buy!) that Van Straalen Rocket that was on eBay just recently? Basically brand new and at a price that was extremely tempting!
Archy_is_God

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:48 am

^^^ yeah I seen that DVS was very tempting.
I've tried all the boards mentioned Simms, nearly all the Lost version small wave boards etc ...always end up back on the Pavel.
buttholesurfer

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:02 pm

Fish! Rastas foiled out Bing looks a flyer.

http://youtu.be/gy8NQ1CA-bI
buttholesurfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:51 am

That's the kind of surfing I like! Flowing...
Archy_is_God

Postby Jory » Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:35 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z5CpSrOhUc

always thought this was a fine clip of a twin keel in action. Richard kenvin before the simmons obsession....

oh and this may be the best bit of fish action ever filmed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOzbwR8ou2A
Jory

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:19 am

Tune sucks but the surfing is fluid.

http://youtu.be/It4yOM8mIoc
buttholesurfer

Postby Goat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Lovely videos.

Has anyone got any views on the Bing Twin Fish? I'm thinking about getting a keel fish or Simmons type of shape, to compliment my speed dialer fish. Ideally I'd like more paddle/early planing than the speed dialer offers. The Bing Twin Fish at down the line surf us 3/4 of an inch wider, so I'd presume it would therefore offer this quality?
Goat

Postby prjwebb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:55 pm

prjwebb

Postby Goat » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:16 pm

Stunning. I think flowey fish surfing like that, is the most (aesthetically) beautiful type of surfing there is.
Goat

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Goat... I would go Fish over simm... Much more versatile.
buttholesurfer

Postby JayP » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:42 pm

My ten penneth worth for you Goat - I've spent the last year riding two boards and two boards only . 1. A B&W speed dialler (with various fins) when its bigger and 2. My own made Mandala ASQ inspired fish which is a hybrid of a Simmons and a Speed dialler. Its fat and floaty and goes great in anything up to about 4 ft. The thing that I've found brilliant for me with this has been that because both boards have similar fin set ups (and elements of the outline) the transition between them is so easy. This I think has helped my surfing no end. I just tend to get back in the water and feel a lot more like I'm starting off where I left off last time whichever board I'm on. If you're still not getting in much then maybe its something to think about - Will you be happy with the added complication of getting used to surfing two very different fin set ups?
JayP

Postby buttholesurfer » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:03 pm

buttholesurfer

Postby kayu » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:22 am

currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:29 pm

Kane Gardens keel.

http://youtu.be/_9RJ7llVLws
buttholesurfer

Postby buttholesurfer » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:49 am

Who needs a thruster?

https://vimeo.com/134282623
buttholesurfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:46 am

Love the way that guy surfs, one of the best IMO
Archy_is_God

Postby Alwayzthekook » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:49 pm

I recently bought my first thruster in years - feels slow for sure! I really regret selling my Banks Mk3, it was a custom too. I've yet to try a mini-simmons (although I'd love to), but I just love the speed and flow of fish. I would surf nothing else if the waves in this country weren't so desperate! I could order half a dozen right now, without even taking time to think!

Speed and flow, speed and flow...

https://vimeo.com/116026684?from=outro-local

https://vimeo.com/8469720
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32513360@N06/sets/
Alwayzthekook

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:08 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:Who needs a thruster?

Rhetorical question but geez how good is he surfing that fat, wide fish?
Cuttlefish

Postby usedtobe69 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:29 am

Cuttlefish wrote:
buttholesurfer wrote:Who needs a thruster?

Rhetorical question but geez how good is he surfing that fat, wide fish?

high end shredding!
you see how much foot movement is constantly taking place ? looks like a hectic little board to surf if you want to get loose like he is!
usedtobe69

Postby zboy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:25 pm

gr8t bit of surfing, absolutely tearing it up, love it :-)
zboy

Postby Black » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:10 pm

A surfing film that I might actually want to watch it!
http://magicseaweed.com/news/fish-a-design-which-changed-the-world/8217/
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:50 am

buttholesurfer

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 pm

Excellent
Archy_is_God

PreviousNext

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design