Son of/ Magic Sam.. vee bottoms..

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Son of/ Magic Sam.. vee bottoms..

Postby ears » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 am

Morning all... Just looking for info on the above shapes.. anyone had any experience on 'hull' like longboards? I know Tim Mason was doing some fine versions of Paul Gross' SOS but don't want to hassle him.. Also been looking at some of the new vee bottoms coming out of the states like fineline 'Hot Generation' again any info greatly appreciated.. I'm looking for something in the 8' range to use in logging conditions.. not sure i can justify getting one from the US as i can't bear the look on my wifes face as the tears well in her eyes.. ' you promised, no more...the children need shoes..' blah de blah de blah Cheers - ears :)
ears

Re: Son of/ Magic Sam.. vee bottoms..

Postby slipslide » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:16 am

Hi ears
I have been thinking the same thing myself for a while now, I have been leaning towards either the mini zombie or the micro ant and 8ft seems to be the magic number(although I do always say that). If you could keep me informed with any info you get that would be great, or if want to share a box with2 or 3 in it let me know.
Cheers
slipslide

Postby kayu » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am

ears wrote:Morning all... Just looking for info on the above shapes.. anyone had any experience on 'hull' like longboards?
Your best bet would be to talk to a surfer over the age of 50....it's all we rode back then .... :lol:
currumbinwoodworks.com.au
kayu

Postby ears » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:00 am

Thanks for the replies chaps.. Slipslide.. Yes, been looking at the mini zombie and the hot generation from Hilbers.. both look really nice, super functional with mini zombie looking like a shoo in for a 'mini log' that does it all.. people on jamboards rave about them! The hot generation seems like a hulled out version of MZ with a slightly piggier outline.. I would be up for getting one but it just feels mighty extravagant with the shipping.. especially when i have a nice log and a 7'6 hull.. although i would sell both to accommodate the new one.. so was just wondering if i could go local... (although if i do cave in i would gladly split a box with you!) i get over to LA now and again for work so could get one then but that won't be till next spring and i'm not sure i can wait that long!!!)

I've also been talking to ryan lovelace in the US, his 'v bowls' is also looking like it could be the one... again at 8' looks a really functional hull like take on the whole thing.. super nice guy as well!

B'curtains.. Fantastic! I had seen that a while ago and it completely slipped my mind.. I'll give them a shout later today and get the low down on that shape - but i have to say that looks bang on..

Kayu.. I'm hurtling toward the wrong side of my forties.. so i'm getting there.. by the time i hit 60 i'll be dialling in a malibu chip!

keep it coming :-)
ears

Postby slipslide » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:14 am

When i was looking somebody suggested the acid drop by chops, they really rated it. I did send beachbeat a couple of emails but got no reply, was just getting around to phoning them (emails are just so much easier at work for the initial questions) when a different board turned up and with the money burning a hole in my pocket i bought that one instead.
I will try to find the link.
slipslide

Postby kayu » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:23 am

I think when you get there Ears, most designs will have been regurgitated a few times over.... :lol: the only revolution ( or evolution) Ive seen is with materials and performance.....fin tech has been advanced for sure.....the weights have have come down (way too much) and are starting to go up again. I think in the 70's we had short boards wired , and that's where it's slowly headin back to.......it's all good I reckon , now that thrusters have become just another board... :lol:
kayu

Postby ears » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:39 am

hey kayu... yes, its all coming back round.. very glad that it is too in my humble opinion... having said that i do keep thinking that i should invest some time in a thruster... its difficult though, when you a click with a board/ style of board its hard to embrace something totally different and start the learning curve all over again.. (well thats my excuse anyway)

Slipslide.. Mctavish would seem the obvious answer but the strength of the aus dollar at the moment puts them into cooperfish type price range - (the coop vee bottoms are beauties as well argghhh too many boards, too little money.. ) I've fired off an email to empire so will wait to hear back.. i'll let you know how i get on..

Cheers all :D
ears

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:08 am

Get on the blower to Chops!
That would probably have been me rating the acid drop.
I would have said that Chops was right there in the thick of it at the time it all happened.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Cuttlefish

Postby ears » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks for that.. board looks lush.. may well have to drop him a line.. The boards that have really caught my eye are the modern interpretations of the old vee bottoms.. mainly the Brian Hilbers/ Kirk Putnam collaboration - the hot generation.. really nice but very user friendly by all accounts which is a little different from the originals which were by all accounts kind of tricky to get along with :lol:

Cheers.. Keep it coming - Ears
ears

Postby Chai Wallah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 pm

Rob made me this piggy rolled bottom - was trying to get me to have it around the 8 foot mark but we ended up going for a da cat outline - but you will have to go to Santa Cruz to pick one up at the moment

http://royalsurfboards.blogspot.com/201 ... pussy.html

The photo does not really do it justice - will tray and take some better ones
Chai Wallah

Postby ears » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:44 pm

thats a really lovely looking log and i can totally see why he suggested going shorter with it.. I have a similar outlined 9'6 by andreini albeit a pintail.. lovely template and plenty of roll throughout.. good fun in a lot of conditions.. jim phillips does an amazing one as well 'da copy cat..' great looking board - thanks for sharing! :-) Cheers - Ears
ears

Postby slipslide » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm

I meant to post this earlier. theres one in France its been there ages. You would probably have to sell the wife and kids to afford this but it does look nice.

http://www.surf-longboard.com/sb068.htm

Got a lot of time on my hands at the moment as i mangled my back :-)
slipslide

Postby ears » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:01 pm

Yep.. saw that one! Real beauty but totally over the top price wise.. you could get one custom built and shipped door to door for way less than that.. I think that i actually prefer the hulled versions like the HG.. or ryan lovelace v bowls but i reckon that mini zombie would make a great all round log.. check out the threads on longboard.net about it.. sounds pretty amazing.. Hope your back sorts itself out!

Cheers mate - ears
ears

Postby royal » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:24 am

my 2p...

i would avoid actual recreations of the old vee botttoms, a la some i've seen on certain hipster shaper's pages. A little vee goes a long way...

hull or roll is far more versatile imho, but that's just my opinion, of course
learn the rules, so you can break them properly

rob lion
Royal
royal

Postby ears » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:25 pm

Hey Rob.. Absolutely! From what i've heard of the Hot Generation its very much a modern take on the old vee bottoms.. hulled up front, wide point back and 'slight vee' through the tail.. very user friendly by all accounts but absolutely - it seems perverse to slavishly reproduce a board that was very quickly passed over as the short board evolved.. BUT modernising, tweaking or what ever you call it produces some pretty exciting stuff.. i'd say a lot of your boards are testament to that!

Cheers - Ears :)
ears

Postby kayu » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:34 am

The original vee-bottoms were very limited....the problem was tail too wide, and too much vee....intrigueing really , to two main features that made them so distinctive!.... :lol:
kayu

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Chops
Archy_is_God

Postby ears » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:03 am

Yep... I'm sure that would be a very good call.. Still waiting to hear back from a couple of people who may do what i'm looking for but if not then Chops is definitely on the list! :-)
ears

Postby wurfysurfy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:34 pm

http://hawaiianprodesigns.tumblr.com/

check out Nat's new model, well its OLD as well

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ very pricey...these guys do the taky models in Oz and their prices are the highest of any glass boards here
wurfysurfy

Postby Philchapman » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Hullabaloo deck 2.jpg
9'4" SOS shaped by Tim Mason, Glassed by Paul Blacker.
Hullabaloo deck 2.jpg (105.93 KiB) Viewed 6211 times
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby ears » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:13 pm

ooh... now you're talking.. ride report please? Seriously, any info greatly appreciated! :-) cheers - ears
ears

Postby vipwinboy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:55 am

The name says it all. Some really UGGly boots that come in all different colors. Commonly worn with 4 inch skirts by girls with close to zero self-...
Available in a wide range of styles and colors, from the ever-popular UGG Classic Tall Boots and UGG Classic Short Boots to stylish seasonal ...

-----------------------------------------------------

A known fashion and cheap cheap canada goose danmark,
canada goose jakker,
if genuine, let us now go study study ...
Believe me canada goose outlet, worth having ...
vipwinboy

Postby Philchapman » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:55 am

Re: SOS. First couple of waves I thought "what have I done?!" (Buying this board). I couldn't turn/trim... kept falling off.... and then it all clicked, or I got used to it or something, and it's been a joy to surf ever since. No Vee here, just rolled belly all the way through, and pinched rails. More a long hull than a noserider, but you can noseride with good positioning. This is my most used board, probably as the surf is small most of the time. I've had it out in head and a half though, and it coped well. I get comments every few sessions on how fast this board is. It's glassed heavy so has a lot of momentum, and fin positioning is crucial. 1/4" out and you feel it. I think a fin box is needed on a board like this to cope with different conditions and just play around with different fins. I've settled on a Greenough 4C on advice from Spence. After trying a few, I quite agree. The fin box is set back like you'd get on a "normal" log, not "half way up to the nose" like on some Hulls. Hence, you can turn from the tail. Saying that though, a slight tweak from the ankles when in trim can send you up into a floater or around a section, without moving your feet. I'm very pleased with this board!
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Chai Wallah » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Philchapman wrote:Re: SOS. First couple of waves I thought "what have I done?!" (Buying this board). I couldn't turn/trim... kept falling off.... and then it all clicked, or I got used to it or something, and it's been a joy to surf ever since. No Vee here, just rolled belly all the way through, and pinched rails. More a long hull than a noserider, but you can noseride with good positioning. This is my most used board, probably as the surf is small most of the time. I've had it out in head and a half though, and it coped well. I get comments every few sessions on how fast this board is. It's glassed heavy so has a lot of momentum, and fin positioning is crucial. 1/4" out and you feel it. I think a fin box is needed on a board like this to cope with different conditions and just play around with different fins. I've settled on a Greenough 4C on advice from Spence. After trying a few, I quite agree. The fin box is set back like you'd get on a "normal" log, not "half way up to the nose" like on some Hulls. Hence, you can turn from the tail. Saying that though, a slight tweak from the ankles when in trim can send you up into a floater or around a section, without moving your feet. I'm very pleased with this board!

I know that feeling my first two sessions on the Da Royal Pussy were in fairly poor conditions, I could not really judge the board apart from it was fast and just seemed to lean into the turns and keep going - you could not lean too far. Then the next session was in reasonably clean conditions and in four hours I got a handful of waves where things felt right but on the majority i could not seem to find the natural trim postition or turn it properly before falling off, often revisiting the poo man stance (but was at saunton, so i fitted in well) its not quite clicked yet. But when it does come together the board flies.

Taking it to Lanzarote the beginning of November for 2 weeks and I hope that with serious wave time everything will click. I am sure it is a case of a bad workman rather than his tools and am sure in mid November I will be editing this post.
Chai Wallah

Postby ears » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:19 pm

Hey Phil thanks for the extensive report.. Board sounds amazing and pretty much what I thought.. I really like the idea of getting one myself but I have a pin tail pig from andreini which is very solar ( he does an sos as well). I'd love one around the 8' mark.. The speed if a hull in a longer package.. Sounds ideal!

Chai... Stick with it, getting your head around a boards quirks is what it's all about I reckon.. It's great to get a new stick and not know exactly what it's gonna do.. Good luck on the trip.. Pack it well, you don't want those baggage handlers adding concave where it's not wanted!

Cheers - Ears
ears

Postby Chai Wallah » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:36 pm

Ears - yeah I will do, I am not giving up till I get the beast tamed - not really had it out in anything decent yet, I know it is a great design just need to spend some time on it - which I have not had yet.

Dont worry about the packing - it is going in a 5mm board board with rail protectors inside a coffin bag absolutely stuffed to the brim with bubble wrap - nothing is going to harm this baby (I hope!)
Chai Wallah

Postby mal-nourished » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:38 pm

with hulls and vee-bottoms etc the difference to your stock standard single or single to double concave is pretty apparent to the rider perserverance is defo the key its not a straight transition straight away ..kayu makes some good points about the early vee.bottomed boards... 8)
mal-nourished

Postby Philchapman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:31 pm

A good example......
http://store.mollusksurfshop.com/collec ... line-s-o-s
Anyone want to bring this back for me?!
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design