what size magic carpet?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

what size magic carpet?

Postby rubble » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:59 pm

Currently riding a 6 foot Gulfstream speed dialer for usual dross waves and a 6'2" stickleback for steeper/slashier waves. Was slobbering over a gs magic carpet but unsure about size. I'm not looking for a full on longboard but would like something a bit cruiser for lazy days or when fitness is down. A 6'10" or 7' seemed to sit under my arm just nice. If I went 7'6" or up would I notice much difference, it's not far off a normal longboard and would I just have a compromised longboard? Anyone riding carpets?
rubble

Re: what size magic carpet?

Postby superyuoyuo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:06 pm

I have a 7'4" GS Carpet - great board! I ride it as a 2+1 with a hull flex fin in waist - head high waves. . . I've had a few mid lengths/carpets and this is defo the best so far. The volumes well hidden with thinned out rails and blunt nose. I'd say go shorter 6'10" or 7' if you normally ride 6' or 6'2" fish. Reckon you'd really need to go up to the 8's to start to get a (sort of) longboard feel. JT Kookbox Mini Noserider type thing. . .http://vimeo.com/6110727

Do it! :)
Last edited by superyuoyuo on Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superyuoyuo

Postby superyuoyuo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:08 pm

superyuoyuo

Postby flacky » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Had a similar styled board at 7'3 and tbh never saw the point. Wish I'd got the 6'2 that was the same price at the time. Much more fun I reckon. If you just want a wave sweeper, get a 9'2 or something.
Pedro Plankwalker
flacky

Postby Leedsol » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:17 pm

If your happy and confident surfing those length boards now then there really is no need to go longer for smaller days, no need at all and I'm flabbergasted if anyone would tell you too. A good fish would see you right. Except for good sized days.

The board I almost solely ride is 6'6 and has been my almost exclusive ride for four years in all conditions, on its last legs now hence a recent swop for a 6'3 (and another looming swop) I found a 6' B&W Cali Quad also an easy ride though a bit quad tracky and I had a ride of a local shapers 5'8 fish and found it fun and easy to get into.

I regard the 8 or so years on a longboard (until about 2005 or so) and then midlength with mixed emotions, the fitness and muscles they developed getting those boards out back was good but their glide totally backward for development. I read in an Australian Surfer's Journal a bio from Bob Cooper who was a pro longboarder in the 60's and he goes on about his epiphany away from longboarding to shortboarding and how more in tune with the wave and its energy he felt it delivered. Mind you he also went on about being closer to God so take from that what you will.

Anyone who goes on about glide is excusing their lack of fitness (imho) tho each to their own but please also adjust anything I say for your weight and height. Note also that I loved riding my Stewart 7' hydrohulls for many years but they were days when any ride on a green face was met with almost infantile glee.

And for the love of God don't take advice from surf forum posters without researching their posts and where and what they have surfed :roll:
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby mal-nourished » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:09 am

allways found the carpet shape better the smaller you go more towards a mini-disc type shape.. :wink:
mal-nourished

Postby superyuoyuo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:17 am

shortest board I have is a 6'6" eggy twin. . so yep. . i'm coming at it from someone who likes/rides boards with more volume. . .but that GS board (with 2+1 flex fin set-up) would give a completley different approach, without having to go down the longboard route - wasn't that the original question?? :))

leedsol - did you ride heavy traditional or more progressive longboards??
superyuoyuo

Postby Cuttlefish » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:56 am

Leedsol,
Do you happen to know what size boards Bob is riding nowadays?
:wink:
Hard to outrun old age and muscle atrophy though youngsters like to tell older surfers they are simply too fat and lazy.
Cuttlefish

Postby superyuoyuo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:17 am

hey:) i'm 34, 6ft and 12.5 st. . .
superyuoyuo

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:23 am

What Leedsol says - does seem a strange one to go from a Speed Dialler to a magic carpet - unless you have bitten way more off than you can chew on the speed dialler and other short board thingy you have? If you want a diff feel altogether get a longboard. Paddling them and the glide is a brilliant feel. There's no right or wrong in surfing - choose what you want to do and don't follow a crowd.

If the longboard route isn't your thing then a floaty twin fin fish sounds a good choice....or a nice wee egg......

wot about this one?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32993
skimmer2

Postby superyuoyuo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:04 am

Theres some info in this thread (carpets eggs inc) that might be useful. . .

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20376&hilit=larger+fish+pointless#p292949
superyuoyuo

Postby Leedsol » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:41 am

Cuttlefish wrote:Leedsol,
Do you happen to know what size boards Bob is riding nowadays?
:wink:
Hard to outrun old age and muscle atrophy though youngsters like to tell older surfers they are simply too fat and lazy.

Ha ha no I don't but I Hope I put enough disclaimers in the above to demonstrate that tweak it all to weight, height and yep I guess age - good old boy surfers I know are on 7' versions of their younger day boards and are still stoked. I'm 41 and will be headed there soon! (maybe even an Earl)

My boards are pretty volume heavy too so I'm of the foam is your friend school tho' could and have gone sub 6 but they felt just too light for where I want to ride them.

Yep all about what you like but really pisses me off when some advice (not in this thread) is go longer. If you are reaonably fit and young you don't need to. Most good longboarders ride shortboards in equal measure (I'm thinking JT and McPhillips of old days) but competed on short and for the sponsors.

I had a couple of McPhillips boards in the late 90s/00s - one a performance lb and one a heavy noserider. The noserider was easy to hang 5 even 10 but in the end I thought I'm just not feeling this. Also had copious go outs on a friend's nineplus 9'6
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby skimmer2 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:58 am

superyuoyuo wrote:Theres some info in this thread (carpets eggs inc) that might be useful. . .

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20376&hilit=larger+fish+pointless#p292949

Good reminder....was an interesting read when it was going. I have a 6ft 6 Steve Lis type keel fish....really nice board but it is gathering dust in my room - hardly used it at all since I bought it. It was too much a step down in size for me...should have bought a 7ft 4 ish board which would have been a better progression from my longboard. Might try and get on it next year or it will be up for sale.
skimmer2

Postby rubble » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:35 pm

Thanks for the advice all. I snaffled that gs 7'6" on ebay for 300 nicker. Never been surfed, minty! Well twice now by me, and its lush. Did high tide wooly last Sunday :-D early am, got a sodding long clean ride. Also did hollow Bantham river mouth the following afternoon. Surprised at how well it handled a fast sucky wave. I think I can live with the extra length - Woop
rubble

Postby superyuoyuo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:38 pm

Glad you're getting on with it rubble :D

Been surfing this loads myself recently, i've found it really needs a punchier (chest high++) wave to get going. Has great projection off the bottom, followed by lots of high line speed. . .can't recommend enough a hull flex fin (8.5" + small sides).

Defo don't follow the crowd :D ride anything/everything. Lots of good mid-lengths out there for the right type of waves.
superyuoyuo

Postby doubleforwards » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Hey, Lots of interesting views.

I'm just in the process of aquiring a longboard which I'm really excited about. Up till now I've pretty much only surfed a 7'2'' mini mal - in everything and being a bit bigger can duck it. I'm going to look for a smaller mal/disc/carpet/egg for maybe when its a bit bigger and when it a bit dumpy so I can smash about on the inside of the beach by my house. I'd love to be able to get it in the back of the car for trips as at the moment the 7'2'' sits over my wifes head, so proably less than 6'6''?

What sort of size can you realistically go down to on this sort of board and still use a 2+1. anyone got suggestions to help me know what to look for?
doubleforwards

Postby superyuoyuo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:23 pm

errmmm. . .

again, depends on your dims, ability, fitness, waves etc etc etc etc

. . but (IMO) eggy shapes in any size are very easy to surf in a range of waves, with different fin set-ups, which you'll choose depending on the wave you're surfing and the lines you want to take on that wave. Snaps and tighter turns = thruster. 2+1 = more drawn out and holds speed thru the turn better. The rail line/length will also need to fit into that wave. So my 2+1 GS carpet @7'4" really needs a longer, lined up, chest high wave to get it going properly and to fit a (carving) turn into it. I'm surfing it on a mellow reef and thats what I got it for:D It doesn't go so well in a fast sectiony beach break for instance. Rails are also important, if they are too full/boxy on an egg, the turn is very forgiving but doesn't have any bite. So I prefer the rails to be more foiled. . .

General advice, lots more to it, but hope it helps a bit. . .
superyuoyuo

Postby superyuoyuo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:12 pm

Also :lol: The GS vee, rails +flex fin allows me to do 'similar' bottom/top speed runs (compressing and extending, first section in the clip) - but with more control to cut back. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVU900YeTU8

Sorry to keep going on about this board!!! But I think there's much more to this design than the usual, boxy railed, mid lengths and carpets. . .
superyuoyuo

Postby doubleforwards » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:04 pm

So for a fast sectiony beach break what would work. Where I'm thinking you tend to get a close out section but if you can get in (early) you get a nice shoulder to ride in on which gets quite punchy. Would like something shorter to complement a 9'1'' longboard and 7'2'' mini mal.
doubleforwards

Postby superyuoyuo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 am

PM'd
superyuoyuo

Postby Chrisc161076 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:09 pm

superyuoyuo wrote:Also :lol: The GS vee, rails +flex fin allows me to do 'similar' bottom/top speed runs (compressing and extending, first section in the clip) - but with more control to cut back. . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVU900YeTU8

Sorry to keep going on about this board!!! But I think there's much more to this design than the usual, boxy railed, mid lengths and carpets. . .

Link don't work!?

I'm riding a Takayama Scorpain, good fun board with lots of fin options.
Chrisc161076

Postby seasofcheese » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:14 pm

The board surfed by Al Knost in that clip is a Hull not a Carpet - hence the butter.
seasofcheese

Postby superyuoyuo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:24 pm

yep, totally agree, different boards,rails etc etc, but you can surf this GS carpet in a 'similar' way, compressing and extending, with the flex fin. . .has that same sort of projection:) but defo not a hull. Was just using that clip to give a rough example.
Last edited by superyuoyuo on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
superyuoyuo

Postby superyuoyuo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Chrisc161076 - links seems to be working for me??

Like the look of that Scorpian - whats the dims on it? Ride etc
superyuoyuo

Postby superyuoyuo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:14 pm

I think what i'm generally trying to say, is that mid-lengths/carpets/eggs don't have to be beginners boards/slow/no point to them, which tends to be the assumption. . .and that this board seems to have a bit more thought put into its design:D
superyuoyuo

Postby skimmer2 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:57 pm

superyuoyuo wrote:I think what i'm generally trying to say, is that mid-lengths/carpets/eggs don't have to be beginners boards/slow/no point to them, which tends to be the assumption. . .and that this board seems to have a bit more thought put into its design:D

You need to swop it with my big speed egg :wink:
skimmer2

Postby Chrisc161076 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:59 pm

superyuoyuo wrote:I think what i'm generally trying to say, is that mid-lengths/carpets/eggs don't have to be beginners boards/slow/no point to them, which tends to be the assumption. . .and that this board seems to have a bit more thought put into its design:D

I'll check the dims, but 6'4"...., completely agree with what your saying above, l can surf mine almost like my shortboard, just a bit slower reactions and slightly longer turns, otherwise a great board, at the moment l'm set up as a 2+1 but want to try it as a thruster to make it a bit more snappy.
Chrisc161076

Postby superyuoyuo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:14 pm

skimmer2 - I'd love to have that big egg of yours:) for the larger days round here. . .but i'm hanging onto this GS. . for a bit anyway :lol: Let me know if you want to sell?

Chrisc161076 - Glad you're in agreement:D I recently picked up a disc/egg, shortboard(ish) rails 6'4" x 21 x 2 1/2 thruster (G-AM fins). . .works great. Bought it to convert into a 2+1, but reckon i'll keep it as it is. . .
Last edited by superyuoyuo on Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
superyuoyuo

Postby skimmer2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:37 pm

superyuoyuo wrote:skimmer2 - I'd love to have that big egg of yours:) for the larger days round here. . .but i'm hanging onto this GS. . for a bit anyway :lol: Let me know if you want to sell?

Chrisc161076 - Glad you're in agreement:D I recently picked up a disc/egg 6'4" x 21 x 2 1/2 thruster (G-AM fins). . .works great. Bought it to convert into a 2+1, but reckon i'll keep it as it is. . .

bit like you...I'm hanging on to it for a while....
skimmer2

Postby parth456 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 am

Hello..
Enchantment Carpet in bunches of different choices, from gum tints to volan glassing through to an essential speed wraps up.
This board has turned out to be a standout amongst the most duplicated available in spite of the fact that there is just a single trademarked unique...
parth456

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design