Anyone ridden a Jim phillips SWT

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Anyone ridden a Jim phillips SWT

Postby slipslide » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi
Just wondered if anyone had ridden a Jim Phillips Small Wave Terrorist, we have been interested for a while and wondered how people got on with 24+ inches wide. We were thinking you might be able to come down in length a bit due to the width and still get the feel right (loose term i know but if you ride that style of board then youll know what i mean). I hear Jims workmanship is outstanding as well.
Any ride reports would be great.
Thanks
slipslide

Re: Anyone ridden a Jim phillips SWT

Postby Barneyrubble » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Check the pics in this thread - stunning.

http://jamboards.com/view_topic.php?id=9810&forum_id=1
Barneyrubble

Postby buttholesurfer » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:39 pm

I'm sure Evil j guano has one, it's defo a Philips.
buttholesurfer

Postby seasofcheese » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Just spoke to Jim and he's made them as short as 8'0 before - I think you'd need to chat the design through a little, I imagine the width would change and it might loose some of the glide, but if anyone can make it smooth, Jim can! One of my fafourite log shapers...
seasofcheese

Postby Evil J Guano » Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:25 pm

Sorry missed this…

I have a 9' 10'' SWT
It's the pale blue one on the JB thread, red high density foam stringer.

Had it about a 8 months and have surfed it everything from knee high to overhead.
Copes with everything pretty much, but excels in smaller stuff, so easy to get into waves and begs you to get up to the nose.
As a nose rider it's super stable but still carves and turns with ease, unlike some other boards I have it isn't a one trick pony.
Doesn't really like strong off shores with the wide nose, but if you have the paddle power it's great on the wave.
Sensitive but with enough weight to glide. Quality is second to none.

Got mine from Adam at Trim.

24.5'' is a bit of a struggle to get under the arm and can be 'interesting' walking up the cliff in a wind.

I'd buy another tomorrow.
Evil J Guano

Postby mister-griffster » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:23 pm

Welsh Kook had a log that was essentially shaped from the SWT template - almost a SWT and Levitator hybrid if you will.

When i rode it i had a bunch of fun - definitely a board for the smaller wave - like Evil J says - begs you to go to the nose, I found it a great wave catcher (I'm around 11.5 stone tho) - I found it easy to turn, but you can't be delicate with it - really stomp on the tail to pivot it around. I'd also echo the fat that it doesn't like strong offshores - not just the width of the nose but width in general i think... I found Kooks board to be a great noserider but maybe not that versatile all round - was a bit slow on making sections on the crumbly stuff but it held a high line and pushed back into the pocket superbly. Not sure how this compares to Jim's.

I'd say that if you want to noseride then don't be afraid of the width (unless you surf a sucky break) - but if you want all round versatility then there's other shapes that will serve well.
mister-griffster

Postby Chai Wallah » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:24 pm

With my short arms and a 24" board I would need one of these

http://www.surfboardbuddy.com/
Chai Wallah

Postby Evil J Guano » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:56 am

Would love to compare it to some of the Bings
Have to swap a go on the Lovebird sometime BHS! ;)

I'm still in awe of it's sensitivity down the line as well as on the nose, can't praise them enough, but I guess when you find a board that suits you it gets that 'magic' status.
Might be a handful for a smaller person so scaling down might be an option. I'm 6' 2'' about 15st.

Dims: 9' 10'' nose: 20.5'' tail: 16.5''

Here's a pic…

Evil J Guano

Postby mister-griffster » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:41 am

I think i've just messed my pants :shock: Lovely log there Evil J (more than welcome to trade a go on my Elevator is that suits :wink: )
mister-griffster

Postby Evil J Guano » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:59 am

Give us a shout if you are down this way!
Evil J Guano

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 am

Evil one, if I let you have ago on the Lovebird I'd never get it back... just make sure kettle is on for 5:30 tomorrow.
buttholesurfer

Postby Evil J Guano » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:03 pm

Senior Butt,
Meany!
Have to go to Adam's next week to pick up a couple of boards for a mate, always a risky journey, be leaving my cc at home.

Hobnobs will be ready, chocolate or no?
Evil J Guano

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:49 pm

^^^ no choc choc for me olde pal.
buttholesurfer

Postby slipslide » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks for the replies. Evil that board looks niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Not quite sure what to go for on this one, i am looking for what i call a hangover board. A nice waist high morning, feeling lazy dont want to put much effort in, surfing with the kids/wife just having fun, a board that rides itself almost, an easy rider. Not stressed to much about legit nose riding but want to be moving up and down it abit. I have been out of logs for while, i kept 2 back and sold the rest converting all my energy into midlengths. But i am starting to feel the need again, and the boards i have dont quite fit the bill.

Someone suggested a Jacobs Wegner Model A to me, anyone had a chance to try one. Length wise i want to stick around the 9ft-9ft2 length.
Cheers All
slipslide

Postby mister-griffster » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:24 pm

If you want to just stand in the middle and trim why not try one of Roy's boards? Perfect for that :lol:

The SWT is certainly an easy rider - but it is a noserider so would be a shame not to use it as such.... still will have you getting a bunch of waves tho. The model A is also an easy rider, but I reckon you have to keep your feet moving a bit to get the best out of it - will certainly trim and glide effortlessly tho. Either board would see a dramatic rise in waves caught and trimmed :wink:
mister-griffster

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design