McCoy Retro Boards

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

McCoy Retro Boards

Postby MrMik » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am

I recently bought a McCoy "Frozen 'D' " surfboard and I'm wondering what to do with it.
Frozen D Logo.JPG
Frozen D Logo.JPG (13.14 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

It's quite badly beaten up but has been re-glassed completely. I think there is only one small leak that needs fixing where the nose was repaired/rebuilt after being snapped off. A few minutes of work will get it into surf-worthy condition. :-)
Frozed D Deck.JPG
Frozed D Deck.JPG (5.91 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

It's about 7 ft long.
I thought I'd buy it to try out how it surfs differently from the Astron Zot.

It turns out that "Frozed 'D' " stands for "Frozen Daffodil" and it's probably an early 70's board, according to the McCoy website. Geoff McCoy offers new retro boards similar to it, see http://www.mccoysurfboards.com/v1/shop? ... egory_id=8
Frozen D Rocker.JPG
Frozen D Rocker.JPG (5.89 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
MrMik

Re: McCoy Retro Boards

Postby MrMik » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:49 am

Some more photos:
Frozed D bottom.JPG
Frozed D bottom.JPG (7.34 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

Frozed D Fin 2.JPG
Frozed D Fin 2.JPG (15.03 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

Frozed D Bottom damage.JPG
Frozed D Bottom damage.JPG (13.32 KiB) Viewed 1516 times

I am used to McCoy Nuggets (thrusters) and a Zot (single fin) around 7ft length.

The Daffodil has less width and volume than the newer McCoys and I think it will be a lot harder to surf.

What kind of surf conditions should I wait for to give the board a trial run without too much risk of total frustration?

Does anyone here have some experience with similar kinds of boards and would like to give some useful hints to make it a fun experience?

Thanks!
MrMik

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:10 pm

Clean and lined up :-D
Archy_is_God

Postby MrMik » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Yeah, I think you are right, thanks. I need to bite the bullet and take the Daffodil out when conditions are pretty much perfect. :roll: That means it might take a while, because I'm also very keen to use the Zot in such conditions...

Anyway, I spent the "few minutes" last night to fix the few leaks with solar hardening resin and a UV torch. Tedious, it turned into a few hours. The sun works much faster :mrgreen: , but now the Daffodil is ready to go.

I measured the Daffodil, it turns out that this is not just my smallest, but also my shortest McCoy: 6' 9'' x 19'' x 3'' 1/8
I'm not totally certain about the thickness, it's a bit tricky to measure, but it's close to 3''.

The thickest part of the board seems to be about 2'' forward of the wide point.
MrMik

Postby MrMik » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:09 am

I tried the Daffodil in 2-3ft crowded waves at Rainbow Bay today, swapping boards with the grommets.

Comment from the grommet: "This thing does not nosedive and turns so fast, it's great!"

I found that it duck-dives really well and it can catch some fat waves, but I stuffed up on the take-off every time and never got to my feet.

I think the Daffodil needs quite steep or at least more powerful waves, otherwise the thin tail sinks during the attempt to pop up and the board stalls.
MrMik

Postby russneversleeps » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:35 am

Sounds like you need to get your feet planted further up the board. Have a look at some footage from 'free ride' or 'five summer stories''. Old school single fins carry all their volume up front - even McCoy's. Interesting board in that it's a complete opposite to the nugget. Yes they really come alive in steeper, lined up waves but you need to move your feet to get the best out them. You need to shift back to crank a tight turn. Think longboard, except, er, shorter!
russneversleeps

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design