Mini sims 'n' things

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Mini sims 'n' things

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:10 pm

So I finished my little mini Simmons with Jools from Gulfstream

http://adventuresintrim.blogspot.co.uk/ ... s.html?m=1

It's the first prototype of a new model from Gulfstream, the SeaPea

I lent it to Will from GS who is a die hard thruster surfer and he was blown away, so much so that he nabbed the first one Jools shaped alone

http://www.gulfstreamsurfboards.co.uk/b ... a-pea.html
http://www.gulfstreamsurfboards.co.uk/b ... ting-.html

I'd suggest that he is probably a better shortboarder than 90% of the people reading this and doesn't like fish or longboards. The mini Simmons has blown his mind!

See I was right, they are ace!
Jory

Re: Mini sims 'n' things

Postby VillageIdiot » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:35 pm

Why isn't the 'official' G.S. board tester, testing the Sea Pea ? And, why has it taken them soooooooooooo long to embrace the mini-simmons ?
www.squirrelbrandjoinery.com
VillageIdiot

Postby JayP » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:53 pm

Saw that. Lovely looking board, nice review. Looks like they could be the next big thing! :lol:
JayP

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Partly cos I'm testing my one and partly cos I've been landlocked for the last two weeks!!

Plus I already know they fly but I'm not in the shop selling them to people!
Jory

Postby Goat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:23 pm

It's interesting actually, I traded in my damaged Empire Lumus (quite a refined variant of the mini simmons platform) against the price of a new GS Speed Dialer Fish. And the person I was dealing with at GS, I think it was Simon, was pretty scathing of the Lumus shape. I.e. That a fish is just more versatile and fun in a wider variety of conditions, is more predictable and progressive through turns. In fact, I'm pretty sure he went on to say that the Simmons revolution was something of a step too far, beyond that of the speed dialer. And of course a traditional mini simmons is that much less progressive again (compared to the lumus), with its 2 fins and very square, wide tail.

I was quite surprised, as I expected a venerable shaper like GS would be all over a shape like the Lumus, but it was quite the opposite. This was back in April though and only the views of one member of staff perhaps.

Been getting on well with the 6.0 speed dialer these last few months, but do miss the glide and flow of a simmonsy like shape, so I'd be keen to order one of these dear sea peas, at least for the smaller/mushier days, or perhaps for even better conditions too.

Jory - explain why 2 fins and not 4? Surely the latter would offer the best of both worlds in terms of speed, planing, but also add some grip and squirt through turns? I'd be keen for your thoughts. Lovely looking board by the way.
Goat

Postby Leedsol » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 pm

Off topic but wonder why u got a part ex on, in their opinion, such a poor board? Interesting?Was it part of that board scrappage scheme they did?

wonder as need to get a fish at some pt - got one in my garage in portugal that i fell for this summer in smaller waves
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Goat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:47 pm

Well I phoned up beforehand and they advised they accepted pretty much anything as long as it was in reasonable condition and as long as they can sell it on, I guess that's the main thing. Mine had a bamboo fin missing! But they still took it for £100.

It was more just a general chat about the progression of shapes over the years, and it was the sales guy's opinion that the fish was a far superior option, at least as an all-round board, but then his go-to board all year round was a 5'10" speed dialer. Perhaps not that a sim/lumus is such a poor board, just that it wasnt to his particular taste.

But yes, it was as part of their scrappage scheme, which they'd kindly extended (think it ended in February). So yeah, worth you giving them a call about possible part exchange if you're interested.
Goat

Postby JayP » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:22 pm

Bloody hell Goat!!! Can't believe you sold that for a ton! Ridiculous! Worth double that even with only 3 fins!!! I had a similar experience talking to a Gulfstream shop member back then actually. Almost exactly the same conversation as I was planning on asking Jools to do me a minisim with the scrappage scheme thing. The guy put me off getting one from them though. He dissed the sims shape and tried to sell me a fish instead (even though I told him I already have a speed dialler). Not the best sales tactic! I ended up waiting a bit then getting splinters Lumus! (By the way..I sold that puffin I had off you and always regret it....loved that board!)
JayP

Postby Leedsol » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:47 pm

:shock: :shock:

that salesman needs a pay rise persuading you to get rid of the lumus for that, jedi mind tricked you there
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:52 am

Truth is GS don't want to sell a bad board. U sell what u know and until 6 weeks ago none of them had ridden a sim. Now two have and Both have loved it. Simon hasn't yet but I'm working on him! They are all very good shortboarder and don't keep much of an eye on the vagaries of trendy alt. surfboard shapes (they have me for that!;-) and it takes then a while to get on the bandwagon. Once they do, they do it very well. It was the same with fish and logs before that!

If you had asked will the same thing on April he would have probably given the same answer!!

I went twin just cos the other sims I've had have been twins and I generally prefer surfing a keel fish to a speed dialler quad. I kno will is talking about making a 5'0 quad version for himself tho and dixies new one is essentially a big quad version of my template.
Jory

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:07 am

Ps in some ways a fish is a better single all around board. If I only owned two boards it would b a log and a fish, I coukd then surf pretty much anything I'm prepared to paddle out in!
Jory

Postby Goat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:45 am

Hehe, I know £100.00 sounds dreadful, but I had my reasons:

One fin was ripped off and lost (swept away in the sea after I landed heavily on it). The rails were covered in small dings and the tail had a fairly bad one. It was too big for me at that point and I was thinking of getting a smaller version anyway. And I fancied a change, to something like a fish anyway.

I contacted Steve at Empire and he said he could trade it in against a new lumus and give me £150. However, the petrol involved getting down to Redruth and back would have cancelled out any real benefit of that, plus there was a 5 week waiting time for a new board. Alternatively, he said he could repair It for around £100 (including shaping the new fin etc) + of course my petrol to get down there and back to pick it up, and then realistically if I were to sell it (which I wanted to do anyway), I would have got around £250 for it, albeit for a whole load of hassle and waiting time. Minus the repair time and petrol and I would have made very little. Not to mention the fact that I had a Portugal holiday looming that I needed a board for! :P

So it was either trade in for £100 at GS and get a fish there and then, trade in for £150 at Empire and wait 5 weeks for new board, or get it repaired and sell it, but as above, I wouldn’t have made much more from that process anyway.

So yeah, I’m probably still an idiot, but hey.

Jory – sounds good, and I guess as generally the sim will be used in smaller/weaker surf anyway, 4 fins aren’t entirely necessary. Do you still prefer a fish in 3ft+ then? So much depends on the punchiness of the wave too. I went to Sagres again in April and there was one day where Mareta was about 1 to 1.5ft, with strong offshores. It was tiny, but the wave was so punchy, that I remember absolutely flying on a couple of waves on my fish. Same with Beliche in 3-4ft swell, but that’s a seriously fast wave that the fish almost felt too much board there.
Goat

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:05 am

Yeah depends on the punchiness of the waves. 3ft plus saunton I'd probably still ride a sim but elsewhere I'd probably ride a fish, I have two, a Mabile classic keel which is 5'8 that I just took to France where it flew and a 5'6 gs one that is super skinny (too skinny for saunton) that I took to Portugal last year and would ride at bigger puts or croyde here
Jory

Postby JayP » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:55 am

Jory wrote:Truth is GS don't want to sell a bad board. U sell what u know and until 6 weeks ago none of them had ridden a sim. Now two have and Both have loved it. Simon hasn't yet but I'm working on him! They are all very good shortboarder and don't keep much of an eye on the vagaries of trendy alt. surfboard shapes (they have me for that!;-) and it takes then a while to get on the bandwagon. Once they do, they do it very well. It was the same with fish and logs before that!

Thats what I thought. And yes, now that they are doing them I'll bet they are the nuts!
JayP

Postby dixie » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:10 pm

jools has made me a few simm "stylee" boards...all bobby dazzlers

theyve all been sweet n hold a tank of volume.....buy one, youll love em
dixie

Postby Philshoz » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:55 pm

Can you order a 5' 6" please Dixie and let me know when you want to sell it.

I asked Will that if I ordered one where was the 'Dixie Discount Box' on the website......... :lol: :lol:
Philshoz

Postby Kenny » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:24 pm

That red one in the bottom picture, that´s now mine, that is :shock:
Kenny

Postby dixie » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:23 am

thats a sick one
i miss that fat diamond tail....had some awesome sessions on it...it just robs waves
dixie

Postby Kenny » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:14 pm

It truly does. In fact, as a birthday present to myself, I´m fixing on taking it to GS and having another made just a tad smaller.
Not for any performance reasons - at 23" wide and 3 1/4 thick I just can´t get it under my arm. :lol:
Kenny

Postby dixie » Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:18 pm

Another do it all board
dixie

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:39 pm

SeaPea now available for testing..........................

http://gulfstreamsurfboards.co.uk/blog/ ... a-pea.html

Jory

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:15 pm

What size is the tester SeaPea, CP? (That sounds odd when you say it out loud) :D
Archy_is_God

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:35 pm

it's the orange 5'2 will has been riding. Mine has a little more tail kick/ rocker than that one and thats how any new stock/ orders will be as it surfs better. You're welcome to nick mine for a go if it helps Archy
Jory

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

In the top pic...has that guys head been photo cropped on? Looks odd. Are the rails pinched on the SIMM and how deep is the concave?
buttholesurfer

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:12 pm

no thats my head and i can categorically state that it's always been attached to my body.

the rails are similar to the tyler warren bar of soap, up in the nose to 50/50 to down in the tail. They arent fat rails at all, especially by the fins there's quite a slant on the deck to take foam away there. i dont like fat rails on anything short or long!

the concave is pretty deep, you can see it withou using a straight edge across the board. It starts pretty early as well. My experience of it is that it gets planing fast and carries speed across flat spots really well as a result

Jory

Postby buttholesurfer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:18 pm

So that's what you look like! Yeah you can see the rail foil better in that pic.
buttholesurfer

Postby Black » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Jory certainly cuts a dashing looking figure...

and now after the compliment - so if the board got badly dinged would it become a seepy SeaPea, CP?

Got my coat & gone...
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Jory » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:22 pm

What u got ur coat already? Oh and I'd got you a taxi! :lol: 8)
Jory

Postby browncurtains » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:55 am

Who's got goats old board then?
browncurtains

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:32 pm

So at the risk of being overly self promoting, had a really fun few waves today on the sea pea. Saunton at chest high and peeling. It is a really really fast board laterally and swoops through cut backs like its on rails. Whether it's this one or someone else's mini sim, people should try one, they're a heap of fun!
Jory

Next

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design