Mini Simmons?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Mini Simmons?

Postby sleepingmonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi All,

Anyone have any experience with mini simmons boards? I'm considering getting one as looking for something a bit different to ride besides thrusters and single fins.

I cant find all that much info online and dont want to be forking out the dough if they're shit, I normally surf beachies in Ireland/N.Ireland. What kind of surf do the work best in and what way are they generally surfed? Any info appreciated

SM
sleepingmonkey

Re: Mini Simmons?

Postby Indodreamin » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:54 am

Im in the same boat really keen on getting a mini simmons for the weak days. Ive been looking at alternatives such as Gulf stream sea pea, firewire baked potato and fellowway piccolo. what are you looking at?
Indodreamin

Postby Jory » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:41 am

http://community.magicseaweed.com/viewt ... 13&t=39332

read that.

then see here

https://www.gulfstreamsurfboards.co.uk/sea-pea/

in short. i've had maybe ridden 6 or 7 different variations of them in beach break over the years.

They are great fun in small and junky surf, more fun than a longboard in short period swell and a great quiver addition in the UK
Jory

Postby sleepingmonkey » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:40 pm

I've spoken to a local shaper and he's gonna shape me a
Simmons (ish) type board with modern and more forgiving features, I'll post it up when it's made

Sm
sleepingmonkey

Postby Indodreamin » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:37 am

Thats really intersting, did'nt realise that was how the sea pea came about? Its looks lush. whats your thoughts on having it as a quad? did you consider any other boards?
Indodreamin

Postby dylanfm » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:42 am

You might've seen it already, but this site has some info on the history of planing hulls and where the mini-simmons fits in: http://hydrodynamica.com/totem/index.php
dylanfm

Postby Jory » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:41 am

Jools has actually just made a couple of quad versions as custom orders - have a look back through the gulfstream Instagram. Quad versions work well - a bit less lateral speed but more easy to turn. Making them slightly narrower and foiling the rails out more helps with this too. I currently ride a mandala superchunk as a quad which takes the speed of the mini sim but adds a healthy dose of turning performance.

For reference i've ridden

My Seapea
3 or 4 other GS seapeas
Ryan Lovelace/ point concept velo sim
Tyler warren Bar of soap
Bing mini sim
Miller surf simmons
Jory

Postby Morning Light » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:10 pm

This simmons I built is pretty foiled , more narrow than your standard sim...
Running standard Lokbox keels... been told it flies :-)

Getting the blend of displacement and bottom concaves helps for a cracking little board ... 8)

b+w simmons msw.jpg
b+w simmons msw.jpg (27.13 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
Morning Light

Postby vera.almsick » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:53 am

take a look on here....

Postby Greenstick » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:49 pm

I have a mate who shapes and raves about them, but I was utterly unconvinced. As he kept on banging on and shaping them for friends who them loved them, I decided to make myself a small wave board and see what the fuss was about. I went for a high volume version with a couple of tweaks - hull to single to double through fins and out, Futures controller fins with fish style placement, not McKee, 6' x' 23' 3', 2" tail rocker, 4 1/2" nose rocker. I went high on the volume and used an XPS blank and epoxy for float. It is the best board I have made and if I had to have a 1 board quiver, that would be it. I have surfed it from 2' junk at home to well overhead Lohi's (as my step up just did not work for me) and it has managed all well, getting too fast and uncontrollable at double overhead Lohi's, but still making the wave. In a way that is the problem I have found with this board. It is so much fun to surf, fast, turns on a dime (when going slowly enough for me to keep a rail in) that I have found that I cannot transition quickly to my step up boards which are/were mostly thrusters. I have given up with that and am looking to flog those and get a more refined quad step up along the lines of the Dharma, instead of falling back to singles and failing miserably on thrusters.

But, I prefer quads, like high volume boards and am old for a surfer. The wide tail is very forgiving to bad foot placement and generates its own speed, instead of having to be pushed. If you want something to pump down the line, surf vertically and keep in the pocket this is not the board for you. If you surf less punchy waves and want something which is not a longboard, turns fast, can get the speed and turn well enough for the odd foam hop, has great glide and is a bitch to duckdive, get a large mini-sims.

Caveat - I just do this stuff for fun, my technical knowledge is well below many here and my surfing is only getting worse, but for all of that I am now a mini-sims convert for UK waves and smaller days, at least.
Greenstick

Postby sleepingmonkey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Forgot about this, here you go
Attachments
FB_IMG_1486834854875.jpg
FB_IMG_1486834854875.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 2369 times
sleepingmonkey

Postby sleepingmonkey » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:42 am

Here it is peeps
Attachments
FB_IMG_1486834854875.jpg
FB_IMG_1486834854875.jpg (134.97 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
sleepingmonkey

Postby r896neo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:43 pm

Hey man, I surf the north coast too and am intruiged how you are getting on with the mini sim? What size is it and what size are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm considering shaping one as replacement for a longboard on ultra small days.

Cheers
r896neo

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm

are mini-sims still alive and kicking? seems like these days they've died a death, with people opting for a log when it's super small, and then a fish or mid length when it's bigger but still looking for that same sort of alternative ride
used to see them a lot but I've only seen one in the last year or so
maybe it's just the trend thing? nobody's put out a hipster video of them ripping on a simmons so they're not selling so many
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Jory » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:09 am

There's plenty. They were one of Gulfstreams top selling boards last year and they make a lot of sense over here. I think whats happened is that keel fish have become a little trendier again with the hipster video kids partly down to ryan burch/ Bryce young etc and also that people have taken the original mini-simmons concept and refined it into other slightly different things - Mandala superchunk. GS splitpea etc.
Jory

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 am

true, I've seen people on little planing hull type things that I guess are one or two steps away from a 'proper' simmons
funny how short 2-3 minute clips can make or break types of boards... so it was mini sims, then fish, what's next?
my money's on mid length single fins, or proper twinny shortboards

all this being said, I'm picking up my new fish tomorrow... guess I'm just as susceptible as everyone else :lol:
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby sleepingmonkey » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm

The dims are 5'10" x 22 6/8" x 2 5/8" and 41.5L

Im about 5'6". I think I could've shorter in length for sure, I really like the way it rides. Its able to hold in the wave as its a quad and flies.

Theres a slight kick in the nose to take the drop more and double concave channels to jet the water through the fins. There is a load of volume but that doesnt stop you duckdiving, because of the volume you're able to set your line and shift up the board get five up at the nose.

SM

r896neo wrote:Hey man, I surf the north coast too and am intruiged how you are getting on with the mini sim? What size is it and what size are you if you don't mind me asking?

I'm considering shaping one as replacement for a longboard on ultra small days.

Cheers
sleepingmonkey

Postby Jory » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:59 pm

For comparison, i'm 5'6 and 66kgish mine are 5'2 x 21 3/4 x 2.6 and 5'4 x 20.5 x 2.5. plenty of foam in both, I could definitely go shorter on the 5'2 if I was keeping the width
Jory

Postby r896neo » Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Cheers, I'm 6'5 and 98kg without wetsuit. Hence my queries as its hard to get comparable surfers when talking about sizes and designs etc, I'm thinking that a mini simmons 6'2x23x3 1/4 isnt really a mini simmons anymore and may not work?
r896neo

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design