Pre Shaping stringer

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Pre Shaping stringer

Postby simoncrouch » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:46 am

Only ever made a kit before which came with a pre-glued stringer. To be honest I kept the shape pretty much as was (egg) and just touched up the rails before glassing. Thing is my daughter now wants a board and was thinking of having a go at a DIY Store board. She's only 3 can barely swim so it's more of a father/daughter fun project. Even so would like the end product to be reasonable.

My main question is, can I shape the stringer before gluing and then with a full width sanding rod just keep sanding until the foam meets the pre cut stringer ? Probably the least conventional way of doing this but maybe one of the easiest to get a rough shape and rocker.

Re: Pre Shaping stringer

Postby MV2local » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:29 pm

Sure can be done like that (I did it ;-) ).

Postby r896neo » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:51 pm

Me too I have just shaped a board doing pretty much what you suggest. Obvuiously it needs foiled a fraction here and there to smooth it out but it was very straight forward.

Postby kayu » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:46 pm

Why would you do that ? ......get a split only blank (or EPS) , and glue it up according to your deck curve.... :lol:

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design