Surfers Paradise boards?

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Surfers Paradise boards?

Postby Jonno » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:54 pm

I am looking around for a secondhand board to step up from riding a NSP 7'10" and have seen for sale a 6'10" swallow tail, made from a Burford Blank by "Surfers Paradise" in Newquay. I've looked around on the internet, and it seems as if Surfers Paradise closed in 2009/2010 and so theres not much information about the quality of their boards. Can anyone on here shed some light on them, and whether or not their boards would be any good?

I'd say im a bottom end intermediate surfer, 72kgs, 6'0 tall. Don't get out loads, but make the most of it when out! The boards dimensions are 6'10 x 20 1/2 x 2 /1/2. Do you think this would be OK, or should I be looking for something with a bit more volume?

Many thanks, Jon
Jonno

Re: Surfers Paradise boards?

Postby Black » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:26 pm

As you say they closed up some years ago so the board will be getting on a bit but I know they can last well too. It should be cheap! Sounds right for you as long as its not a twin fin.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Jonno » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Board is apparently 8 years old, which ties in with the store closing. It's a 3 fin board and looks in good condition. Do you know if the boards from surfers paradise have a good reputation, or was the shop not around long enough to get one?
Jonno

Postby thechimp » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:39 am

Surfers Paradise was owned by Ocean Magic, they used Burford blanks then imported from oz, they were and still are good boards, here's an old newquay article,

http://newquayvoice.co.uk/news/5/article/1242/
thechimp

Postby Black » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:49 am

Also I think the Burford blanks last better than Clark as far as I know.
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Jonno » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks for the additional information, helping to build a picture for me.
Jonno

Postby Paul C » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:31 am

It was a shame when they closed. It was easy to park there, just drive straight in.
Paul C

Postby woodywright » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Surfers paradise was around for years had a good rep but I guess closed due to the market being flooded with cheap boards coming in from china. The boards are made by Nigel semmens ex British champ who still makes boards at ocean magic factory in st. Column outside Newquay. He knows how to make boards for the uk conditions I've surfed them for years and they are much better quality than many others I've tried. But like black said the bird is getting on so it should be cheap. Sounds like it will have plenty of volume though
woodywright

Postby OlenGro » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:12 am

I have a couple of Surfers Paradise boards and they're really good. It sucks that they went out of business but the Chinese can just produce boards so cheaply and quickly it's hard for businesses to compete.
OlenGro

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design