Farrelly 8ft Hybrid v 7'6 Firewire Addvance

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

Farrelly 8ft Hybrid v 7'6 Firewire Addvance

Postby tlearyus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:27 am

I am trying to decide between buying either a 8ft x 23" x 3 1/16"Farrelly Hybrid Quad Fins or a Firewire Addvance 7'6"x 23 1/2"x 3 1/4" Quad Fins.

I am now 53 and weigh 90kgs and have been surfing a mixture of boards for the last 10 years from a older 7ft San Juan and a 7'6 Liquid Lines Mini Mal but am not getting onto waves quickly and need more paddle power. The volume and length in both these boards would be a vast improvement and they are both in near new condition with not a mark on them. They are both selling for $800.

Which one would you folks chose and why?

Re: Farrelly 8ft Hybrid v 7'6 Firewire Addvance

Postby thechimp » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:41 am

IMO the Farrelly, a hand shaped board by one of surfing real 'Legends' vs a mass produced board made in Thailand.
The late great 'Midget' shaped the board in Brookvale and had them glassed in Byron by Gavin Huish, i just like this plan shape and with a futures quad set up will be real fast.
Nothing against the Advance a collab between Taj B's old man and Nev, a few issues with the Timbertek (use search on this site) just think the Farrelly a much nicer board and with the extra 6in should get you into waves sooner than on a a 7'6.

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design