deck thickness of hollow wood longboard

Any discussion on shaping, designing, repairing and riding surfcraft of any type or shape. Also a good place to ask the 'what board should I buy?' question.

deck thickness of hollow wood longboard

Postby rmuller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:25 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking on building my own hollow wood longboard and so far I have done a lot of research on building plans and materials. I'm not an experienced woodworker but I'm going to give a try anyway.

There is an abundance of wood at the Home Depots in my country (Netherlands), but these are almost all just normal heavy pinewoods and some tropical hardwoods. Other more appropriate wood for surfboards, such as balsa, red ceder and paulownia, are not easy to get. So far I have found some websites that sell materials for small model RV-planes and other stuff. This includes balsa planks measuring 100 cm (length), 10 cm (width) and 1 to 8 milimeters (thickness). Are balsa planks with a thickness of 6 to 8 millimeters (1/4 to 5/16) sufficient for the upper and bottom decks, even with epoxy?

kind regards,

Re: deck thickness of hollow wood longboard

Postby paulitspaul » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:48 am

hi roger,

glassing the inside of your deck will increase the strength of it more than glassing the outside!
i use paulownia in my creations and 6mm over frames spaced 8inches plus 4oz+epoxy is strong enough. for surfers with 90+kg i usually reinforce the deck from the inside.

i have paulownia in 18mm and 6.5mm. pm if you need any...
best from cornwall!
arbo surfboards

Return to Surfboards - Shaping and Board Design