Madeira

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Madeira

Postby Jenkins » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:48 pm

Im interested to know if anybody could shed some light on this place, good or bad? Seen a fair few videos of the place (esp jardim do mar) and looks amazing, tho i dont think id be surfing it on a big day alone. Looks like a beautiful place aswell as the good waves. Really looking for some info on where the best place to stay would be with a view to getting to the most consistant breaks easily. Is a car essential to have on the island? and is it an expensive place to eat and stay at (have looked at hostels with limited success) ? Also, i can appreciate that there are some "proper" waves out there but are there also some softer waves that may be suitable for a less experienced person or any other really good well known spots? I have had a look a stormrider (old version now) but info is quite limited.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.
Jenkins

Re: Madeira

Postby Archy_is_God » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:44 am

Archy_is_God

Postby pelican » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:20 pm

Not a good beginners island. Heavy breaks, strong currents heavy getting in and out. Yes you need a car. No hotel not necessary, u will find private rooms & apartments all over. Just ask at coffee bars. Unlike other islands, there are no easy breaks, But very beautiful place, amazing walking, friendly people.
pelican

Postby surfingdream » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:04 pm

Having just got back from a months trip there i know quite alot about the island now. First off dont even think about Jardim de mar i was in the pub there and was talking to some local chargers and they were saying it breaks only a handful of times and when it does go off it is very local only place. The other place is paul do mer which is a complete shithole with lots of crime this wave breaks well but when i was there was only about shoulder high and really really shallow going dry in some sections. However during the stay we did manage to get some good sessions in.

Beach breaks : Machido,Santa cruz,
Reef breaks: Machido ,Jardim and paul

All of these places are dominated by locals so dont rock up thinking you own the place if you go by general rules after a few days of them seing you there they will come talk to you. We hired a car when we were there and went looking for surf ourselves its pretty easy because there is surf both south and north coast but seirosuly make sure its deep enough before you get in made the mistake off getting in at low tide machido walking in and felt it was gettin deep so paddled out to the line up took off on first wave ,grabbed rail only to see about 2 inches of water below me panicked and ate shit proper resulting in broken cheek bone. Other than surfing there is shitloads to do the walking is pretty boring because its so touristy but funchal is awesome cheeky nightclubs with awesome women is pretty awesome. If your looking for budget accomodation head to machido theres lots of little bungalows you can rent for a week. one over thing dont get caught without your seatbelt on like i did 400 euro fine

Happy surfing
Face your fears, Live your dreams
surfingdream

Postby pelican » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:52 pm

well i dunno, but i lived in jardim a month. when it was on the jardim line up seemed pretty much determined by exactly one thing. balls. when it's on, alot of guys watching from beside the goat pen, not alot of guys in the water.........
pelican

Postby surfingdream » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:13 pm

The scary bit is the rocks that just pop out of nowhere and when getting in and out of the water its crazy rocks haha amazing place though.
Face your fears, Live your dreams
surfingdream

Postby Jenkins » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 pm

Hey surfing dream, cheers 4 the info. Im quite surprised that you said that it can be very touristy and that the crime can be bad. I always thought it was a bit of an old persons retreat from what i read but never touristy. Seems like machido is the place to head for then because money is tight !. I never really imagined surfing a place like jardim, although I tend to surf reefs when possible at home (gower) and have a fair bit of experience in portugal so would feel confident to take on other much softer breaks with a mate but yeh, the random boils and bolders i saw on videos do look a bit scary i must admit. Gutted to hear about ur cheek, that must have put a real downer on your trip.
Jenkins

Postby lefty » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:42 pm

I really like Madeira and will certainly go back. proper gnarly place to surf and can get real big..! its a strong cheap alternative if you cant afford Hawaii and it also looks like Hawaii in parts too.

i found it friendly and non touristy.. the main city Funchal has elements of it but its pretty low key and importantly the islands kept its culture and not sold its soul to the tourist devil.

The local rum is rank though... truly aweful :shock:
lefty

Return to Surf Travel