North indo wind

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

North indo wind

Postby Kookie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:49 am

After months of searching I finally found a spot in Bali with low crowds but the rides are short - 10secs at best.

Aceh is much easier for me to get to so I thought I'd have a look... but unlike the rest of Indo there are regular onshore winds when I get my holidays in the summer.
The Ments are too remote for me to visit regularly.

So, what's better? Spend more time searching for a sheltered spot in north Sumatra or spend more money and time to go to Bali for short rides?
Last edited by Kookie on Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kookie

Re: Bandah Aceh wind

Postby spewing » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:25 am

I went there in July to kite surf. I had hoped that the wind would be less in the morning and I could get a surf in before the wind picked up but it pretty much blows 24/7.
Strongest in the afternoon but pretty much unsurfable all day.

once your about half way down Sumatra the wind gets less / more off shore in the summer but the further south the harder it will be to get there for a quick trip.

If you can get to Medan easily it's easy to get to Niasa
spewing

Re: Bandah Aceh wind

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:13 pm

Yeah, the trades are opposite up there... winter, however, is a different proposition :wink:
Archy_is_God

Re: North indo wind

Postby Archy_is_God » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:50 pm

Not sure where you are coming from with regards to the statement about Bali and seeking out really quiet spots....?

Even the main breaks in peak season can have quiet times and if a swell is running, so many spots are working that crowds will spread out... no need to go out of your way so much to avoid people IMO, you just need to keep an eye on it and time your surfs well I think.

Of course, there are quieter spots in general terms and even some spots where you can surf by yourself all day, but unless you really cannot abide sharing the line up with people, you can have great surfs and plenty of waves right in the heart of the Bukit surf area in July/August. It's always fun to go exploring and find somewhere off the beaten track, but don't feel that you need to in order to have a great surf - that's the point I'm trying to make I guess..
Archy_is_God

Re: North indo wind

Postby Kookie » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:29 am

I went to Bali in the end as there's a spot near Canguu which few people know about and I figured the earthquakes would scare a few people off. Nope. Unfortunately the wind was bad, banks bad and some beginner surf coaching over it. As a plan B I went to Serengan as it's onshore but it's closed off.

Didn't get a single wave for the first week except by the airport and that wasn't great. Absolute torture. Tried nearly every spot on the bukkit but it's just so busy. I can handle 10 on a peak but not 50-100. I guess I have to learn to take off deep as every other strategy wasn't working.

So I decided to go west to a spot I'm more familiar with. Finally got what I needed but only for the last couple of days and no breakthrough stoke moments.

All this I think, mostly due to easterly wind conditions. I guess that was concentrating the crowd in the Bukkit.
Kookie

Return to Surf Travel