Freshwater West / Manorbier

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Freshwater West / Manorbier

Postby Goat » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:29 pm

I’m off for a long weekend in Tenby. So nearest breaks are Manorbier and Freshwater West. Never surfed them before.

Swell is looking small, but as Freshwater West is so exposed, I’m hoping it throws up a couple of feet.

Heard horror stories about the rips there – how bad are they? And any other tips?

And does Manorbier tend to pick up similar swell size to Porthcawl, or offer a bit more?

Cheers
Goat

Re: Freshwater West / Manorbier

Postby mountain man » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:11 pm

Rips at Fresh won't be an issue this weekend as tides so small and swell dropping right off - unlikely to be much in fact this weekend. Last few days been epic around here. Manorbier, yeah similar to PCawl but again you'll have to go to Fresh for anything as too small for elsewhere I reckon. No charge to park at Fresh, if there is a wave then expect it to be busy but plenty of space. Watch out for SUPS....
mountain man

Re: Freshwater West / Manorbier

Postby Goat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks Mountain Man.

Ended up calling in at Rest Bay on the way over on Friday. Surprisingly good, at 3ft+ clean, nicely spaced sets.

Had intended on doing Manorbier or Freshwater West on Saturday, but alcohol destroyed that dream. :wink:

Manorbier on Sunday was pretty awful - 1ft mushy closeouts at low tide.

But Freshwater West on Monday was incredible. 3-4ft punchy waves, hardly anyone out. Surfed the North end on the drop (middle beach wasnt looking too good). Early on there was next to no wind, perfectly clean, 3 other surfers out. Can't believe how remote and unspoilt it feels there, and so beautiful.
Goat

Return to Surf Travel