British Indian Ocean Territory (Diego Garcia?)

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

British Indian Ocean Territory (Diego Garcia?)

Postby banana_man2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:38 pm

Hello all, just wondering if anyone has been to any of these islands?

Diego Garcia is the biggest island and is pretty much a military base so some lucky punters may have been posted there in the past!! Just wondering what the surf is like, best way to get there etc.. Obviously it'll prob be a military flight from Brize for mega bucks but Iwas wondering if it is possible to fly to one of the neighbouring islands?

From what I've seen so far it looks lush
show me the money
banana_man2

Re: British Indian Ocean Territory (Diego Garcia?)

Postby Tombo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:24 pm

Ben Fogle goes there in his book 'the teatime islands'. From what I can remember it seemed like an absolute mission for him to get there and involved chartering a yacht from the Maldives to get there... Heard some rumours that its being used to house some Al Quaeda suspects :? So im not sure how easy it would be to visit Diego Garcia itself but it is a large archipelago of islands.

Wouldnt have a clue what the surf there is like though... Does look like a paradise though!
Tombo

Postby banana_man2 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:24 pm

this is the only surf related info i've found so far:
http://surfermag.com/photos/travel/dieg ... index.html

Check out photo 28 - ariel shot of Diego Garcia, you can clearly see an awsome set-up on the south of the island 8) I'm hoping google earth will show some more detail of the other islands! As you say, it looks like DG could be off limits due to military but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have a prob of you being there in a boat :?

looks pretty damn promising... as you say, the boat would be the way to go but I dont really have the time to charter from Maldives... So, the best option so far would probably be to fly to Colombo in Sri Lanka or Trivandrum in India then transfer to Male in Maldives...it just seems soooo wrong to go to these places (which have awsome surf in their own right) just to get to another chain of islands!! :oops: :?

Lakshadweep islands (Indian ocean 100's of miles off coast of Kerala) also got my attention a few years ago as it has a similar set-up! I did loads of research on that too but from what I figured at the time it was a paradise for rich indians etc.. pretty much only accessible by chopper :-|
show me the money
banana_man2

Postby majordom » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:37 pm

i think the yanks go waterboarding there at the base
majordom

Postby The Decorator » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:07 am

Banana did a fair bit of research into this place myself.

The Brit's rent it to the Yanks and from a few blogs I found (Yank military personnel) they are not allowed to enter the water on the seaward side of the Is;and! Imagine mad keen surfer posted to paradise in the Indian ocean and not allowed in the sea.

The surrounding islands are used by yachtsmen as a kind of market garden. They take what they need and ensure they plant new food and tend to the garden for the next boat that turns up.

From memory the Chargasians who are the islands true natives were pretty much booted out by the UK and many found themselves as second class citizens on either Mauritius or Zanzibar. They actually took their case to the international court of human rights and won but I think the UK has appealed and is stalling using excuses like "there is no infrastructure so until we can make the islands habitable we won't let them back" or some such bulllshit. I think the fact that we probably make a tidy buck from the US and it's strategic importance means they're not gonna get home for a while.

UK used to have bases in the Maldives aswell. I remeber as a kid landing on Gan to refuel enroute to Hong Kong. It's now a resort island.

Look up Chargos islands, makes interesting reading.

Hope i havn't bored you :-D
www.mugofsunshine.blogspot.com
The Decorator

Postby rodent » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:40 pm

I know of at least one charter company that's trying to work out how to get a boat based down there :shock:

Also have you heard to sea plane charter trips...
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Ferral » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:18 pm

You would'nt have to go far off the plane either :shock:
Ferral

Postby Poo Stance » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:52 pm

http://surfingindia.net/india-surf-spots

These guys mention it and say it's possible to get a pass. Maybe get in touch with them.
Poo Stance

Postby Poo Stance » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:54 pm

http://eyeball-series.org/google/diego- ... ot-001.jpg

another piccy. Never know if it's the right island though eh>
Poo Stance

Postby banana_man2 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:51 pm

cheers for the info guys - keep it coming!
show me the money
banana_man2

Postby grodad » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Hi
I looked into this quite a few years ago as was really hoping to get there to surf, but didn't manage to find a way to get there, despite contacting some charter companies lurking round the maldives (they didn't have the permits). This is an interesting article written by some guys who were posted there in the 70's who surfed and made their own (very sketchy) boards on the island. As the article says, the only way to surf here is if you enlist...............
Good luck brother!

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/surf.html
grodad

Postby cousiner1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:32 am

while in us navy stopped there during deployment during that time i did not have my board stashed on the ship like i did later during my enlistment. The island is beautiful . I walked almost to the end looked like a left point setup. I have always imagined that placed unsurfed and it probably still is. Very sad story regarding the indigenous people
cousiner1

Return to Surf Travel