azores

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

azores

Postby prenzn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:47 pm

Azores late August beginning September!

Any infos? Surfschools, appartments, beaches, swell, crowds !!

Cheers :?:
prenzn

Re: azores

Postby Jenkins » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:53 pm

How do you get there? Is air portugal the only airline flying there ?
Jenkins

Postby prenzn » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:50 pm

As far as I know the only airline which is flying there is the azoren air!
prenzn

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:27 pm

I was in Sao Miguel 2 years ago - fly BA into Porto or Lisbon - can't remember , then TAP airlines out to the Azores , sketchiest airport I've ever landed at - pilot banked so hard I thought the wing tip was gonna hit the sea - airport is on a cliff , 500m long, cliff at the front , cliff at the back - proper shitting myself, the plane was nearly on it's nose stopping.

Good setups all over the island - I hooked up with the President of the Azorean Surfing Federation , a guy called Johnny Brilliante, also the only shaper on the island - real top man, took me to his house, looked at his boards, he then drove me over the other side of the island and dropped me off at a lovely spot.

He said there was a hardcore of about 35 surfers on the islands - real problem with booze & drugs on the islands - loads of Colombian and Eastern European sailor types that I had their holds full of cocaine........

There is an open air swimming pool in Punta Delgado , down the front as you are heading out of town, there is a life guard there who surfs called Bruno , he could hook you up with Johnny Brilliante - I lost everyone number off my phone a while back :roll:

Cranking beachie I was at called Ribiera Grande on the North side of the island.
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Jenkins » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Cheers for that mate. An interesting read. Will keep researching..
Jenkins

Postby prenzn » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:23 pm

Cool, thanks mate!!! Thanks for your help! Yeah I'll keep researching!!!
prenzn

Postby ThomKhan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:43 am

Sorry for the old post digging but nothing new about the Azores to be honest ...

So I am going there for a week and wanted to look at surf classes - the only solid one seems to be on Santa Barbara, there are two schools, SB Surf School and Azores Surf Center, I think I will take the first one but any one has recommendations ?

Thanks !
ThomKhan

Return to Surf Travel