cheap decent car hire morocco

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Re: cheap decent car hire morocco

Postby redhighway » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:39 pm

I'll get on it and see if I can't paste a link.
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:02 pm

nice man, i'll check back later.
Jenkins

Postby r896neo » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:37 pm

i am just back a couple of weeks and can second the tifnit option, it was chest to head high when most of the ton was flatish and there were hardly any others there on the 2 occasions i went. If you do go take everything you need for the day as there is nothing there
r896neo

Postby Jenkins » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:22 pm

With regards to getting out money when I arrive in morocco, where is the best place. I know someone recommended the airport but isn't that going to be a pretty poor deal? I have some euros? Will the taxi drivers take them?
Jenkins

Postby redhighway » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:05 pm

No euros, no travellers cheques, everything but local currency is a hassle if you're staying in Taghazout and you don't want to waste time. The exchange rate at the airport is O.K, the extra amount you'd get messing around trying to get to a bank just isn't worth for the amount you'll be changing up, unless you're planning on buying a house there? I just changed all my money up there, kept the receipt, changed back what I didn't use on the way back but be warned, they will not change it back without the receipt. Another way of doing it which my friend did was to use the A.T.M at the airport because his bank doesn't charge commision.
redhighway

Postby Jenkins » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Ha, no redhighway. Not really looking to invest just yet. Thanks again for all the advice.
Jenkins

Postby baj » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:38 pm

we had an awesome time, waves everyday and staying on anchor point was perfect, in and out of the water before the masses had started the walk from Taghazout! if you want to explore plenty of people will give you a lift but we found having a hire car was just a bit easier and split 3 ways wasn't too bad either.. getting to Banana Point for example would be a stinker of a walk from T'zout..!

We used locationauto (http://www.locationauto.ma/reservation.html) booked through a broker and got a hyundai I10 for £165 for the week, we found they are much cheaper (£120/wk?) booking direct but you won't find them on a general google search for car hire, (if you did find the website you'd probably think they look too dodgy anyway!), don't be put off by the tiny size, we put longboards on softracks and 3 + luggage fits fine.. a Dacia Logan, which is a Clio saloon, costs another £20 and fits 4 + 4 shortboards inside or 4+4luggage and boards on the roof.. petrol out there i think was about half the price of UK..

we got money out of the ATM, the nearest one to Taghazout is in Tamraght if you don't fancy taking a big wedge out at the airport and worrying about keeping it safe for the week! although we had no trouble at all i know others have not been so lucky..

generally though I found the indigenous peoples to be among the most friendly I've come across whilst travelling, food is good and cheap if you find the right places, you can surf uncrowded waves everyday if you are happy to explore.. definitely going again next year!
baj

Postby Jenkins » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:50 pm

Just got back from Morocco today and thought i'd write a smug little report :lol: Although the frist week was plauged by crappy tides, we got head high to possibly 3 times overhead for 2 weeks solid. Its an awesome place for a trip but the one bit of advice I would give is to get out of taghazout on the weekends. I didnt rent a car in the end but i wish i did to escape the crowds. I will go back next year but wont be hanging around in taghazout so much. It a bit like a dirty byron bay full of 'dudes'. haha.
Jenkins

Postby redhighway » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:23 pm

Here here
redhighway

Postby mike111 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:29 am

redhighway wrote:Hi, don't know if this helps but I'll tell you everything I can. First, where abouts in Morocco are you staying. I was in Taghazout and if you're staying there you don't really need a car if you're only going for a week. There are so many top class breaks within walking distance for Parking At Auckland Airport. It only takes about 20 mins to walk to Anchors from Taghazout with a board under your arm and even less coming back as you'll probably be getting back out at one of the bays you passed on the walk there. When you get to the airport you are going to get bombarded with taxi drivers that will take you to wherever you want to go. Do not take the first one you see, barter, barter, barter! I got robbed on the way to the resort but on the way back I shared a cab with 3 others and got it down to 100 d's ,(about £8). Second, take ratchet straps long enough to go around 3 boards. Most taxi drivers have them but not all.Third, the more people they have in a cab the cheaper it becomes and I often found myself sharing with moroccan familys and paying peanuts. Lastly, there are always people driving from the resort to different spots and I just bunged a little fuel money their way or bought them lunch and was driven as far north as Imsouane. I realize that all this is O.K if you're staying in Taghazout, if you're staying in Agadir then my heart goes out to you, you picked the wrong base. I was there in November and anything else I can help with just ask, let me know when you are going because I know some guys going soon and I might go back myself. james.willis22@btinternet.com or text me on 07716683217 peace http://wightsurfhistory.co.uk/morocco-by-jim-willis/

Hi
What is the cheapest price for hiring a car in morocco????
mike111

Postby Franthomas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am

we had an awesome time, waves everyday and staying on anchor point was perfect, in and out of the water before the masses had started the walk from Taghazout! if you want to explore plenty of people will give you a lift but we found having a hire car was just a bit easier and split 3 ways wasn't too bad either.. getting to Banana Point for example would be a stinker of a walk from T'zout..!

We used ganxorent worldwide (https://www.ganxorent.com) booked through a broker (http://si-rent.com) and got a hyundai I10 for £165 for the week, we found they are much cheaper (£120/wk?) booking direct but you won't find them on a general google search for car hire, (if you did find the website you'd probably think they look too dodgy anyway!), don't be put off by the tiny size, we put longboards on softracks and 3 + luggage fits fine.. a Dacia Logan, which is a Clio saloon, costs another £20 and fits 4 + 4 shortboards inside or 4+4 luggage and boards on the roof.. petrol out there i think was about half the price of UK..

we got money out of the ATM, the nearest one to Taghazout is in Tamraght if you don't fancy taking a big wedge out at the airport and worrying about keeping it safe for the week! although we had no trouble at all i know others have not been so lucky..

generally though I found the indigenous peoples to be among the most friendly I've come across whilst travelling, food is good and cheap if you find the right places, you can surf uncrowded waves everyday if you are happy to explore.. definitely going again next year!

We will also be in Morocco March/April and have hired a Dacia Logan for 3 weeks. We're going to pay a bit more for a one way Marrakesh to Fes. Basically we have paid about £500 a broker. Initially they gave a much higher quote, but we did a comparison with Easyjet and they matched the lower price. We used this company last year when travelling in Southern Africa, - (South Africa, Swaziland, Botswana and Namibia) and were satisfied with everything so we wanted to stay with them if the price was right. We have taken separate excess insurance cover (on the advice of another contributor to this forum - got a good deal, covering us for a year, so OK for the next trip too).
Yes, you can get a cheaper deal by bargaining locally, but you never know exactly what you're getting and what the support would be like. We are lucky enough to be 'mature' travellers with a bit more cash than we used to have when hitching our way around 50ish years ago, so we do tend to go for 'safer' options now and go for the bigger companies. (international such as europcar, hertz, sixt, avis,...)
Let me know if you would like any more details. Maybe pass you on the road somewhere
Franthomas

Postby nagore333 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:13 am

Do you have any experience driving in Morocco or Africa? Drivers in Morocco can be particularly dangerous. If you are heading into the mountains, you will also encounter poor condition roads too. We were going to Rabat for a few days of surfing and needed to get there from Tangier. Our plan was to rent a car but after spending a few days in Morocco and seeing how the people drive, we decided to cancel our car hire reservation and book a private transfer service through https://www.tangiertaxi.com. As it turns out, the road from Tangier to Rabat is a new motorway and we probably would have been fine, but we appreciated having a professional driver who knew what he was doing, even if it was a bit more expensive.

I've also heard stories from a friend that the police are notorious for extorting bribes from unsuspecting tourists in hire cars. However, I've also heard from another friend that this practice has stopped in recent years thanks to some stern orders from "high up" in the Moroccan government given the country's increasing tourism sector.
nagore333

Previous

Return to Surf Travel