Peru - Lima to Tumbes

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Peru - Lima to Tumbes

Postby Dantastic » Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi Guys,

Been flirting with a trip for a while now and am set on Peru in November as a starting point.

I wanted to ask any advice on timings, things to do/to avoid, stuff people loved/wished they had taken, food, places to stay, places to buy boards and all the usual rammel that we like to discuss.

Also if anybody can recommend a decent surf guiding book for Peru, Ecuador and maybe even a bit further north that would be mint. Got the Lonely planet book and its very 'inca trail' biased and focussed which is fine, if your not looking to surf everyday for 3 months...

Cheers.

Dan
Dantastic

Re: Peru - Lima to Tumbes

Postby bgreen » Tue May 06, 2014 9:11 pm

Dan,

Stormrider has an electronic guide. There is also some free online info you can search for.

Unless you have nerves of steel I wouldn't drive. Some parts of Peru aren't so wife friendly if you are going with a partner. That time of year is supposed to be when the north swell points work ( you may get lucky but this means Chicama etc - which needs a large S swell may not be so great).

I didn't like Mancora (stayed at Organos) which was much lower key and not a tourist pit, but if you like bars etc it may be your scene. Lobitos - I had a trip organised to go there but it had to be cancelled. Worth the effort if you can.

Travel options depend on your budget. We flew from Lima - check bus options carefully. Crime stories abound but we had no problems. Some Spanish helps.
Bob
bgreen

Postby rodent » Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 am

Base yourself in Punta Hermosa and only head to Chicama when the swell goes over 2m or Pico Alto is surfable

Can do it in an overnight bus
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Dantastic » Thu May 08, 2014 1:20 pm

Cheers guys,

I've seen the 'e-book' but would really like a real book I can get wet, throw around etc and not worry about it getting nicked from my pack. I am really struggling to find anything other than e-book. Might print it!

I'm not down with driving, going on my own so will be expensive. I will be bussing/taxi riding around.

Is Lobitos an island? I will check out Mancora and Organos. At present I am heading Punta Hermosa, then Trujillo and further north to Chicama with Tumbes being the final destinantion before Ecuador.

When you say you flew from Lima, to the UK or Organos? What do you mean by check bus carefully? Times/Operators or getting mugged?

Im all over the Spanish. Can easily ask for numerous beers or inform people i am not a girl and eat bread. Simples...

Rodent, whats Punta Hermosa like? Much to do, variation of waves etc? Whats the score on getting boards shaped etc, fancy something new while I am out there.

Cheers for the info so far.
Dantastic

Postby rodent » Thu May 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Kinda like Morocco but with loads of rights, place is super consistent with surf roughy 27 days a month....

Car is handy but plenty of breaks within walking distance

I wouldn't leave Punta Hermosa unless the surf is good further north, personnel choice but I'd pick pacasmayo over Chicama any day if you, especially if you don't have wheels

I stayed with peruecosurf when I went and they sorted everything for me

Pm for more info if you want
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby bgreen » Sat May 10, 2014 3:30 am

Dan

Do a search Peru + surfspots:
http://www.perusurfguides.com/peru_surf ... es_map.php

http://www.wavehunters.com/peru-surfing ... surf-tours

Trujillo is an ok town but better to go to Huanchaco for surf - from there you can tours to Chicama & other spots.

Lima to Organos - I'm in Oz. Not all bus companies will get you and your gear there together. Some sites: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g2 ... Buses.html and http://howtoperu.com/2010/08/20/best-pe ... rt-safety/

Punta Hermosa certainly has a range of waves. But it is only a limited slice of the country.

Regarding Stormrider - I copied I pasted it into a word doc which I printed. Lobitos isn't an island. It's south of Mancora, north of Piura.

Bob
bgreen

Postby rodent » Sat May 10, 2014 11:30 am

bgreen wrote:Dan
Punta Hermosa certainly has a range of waves. But it is only a limited slice of the country.
Bob

Agreed but it makes a damned good base and you can get decent overnight bus's to Chicama or Pacasmayo when they are on

If the objective of the trip is to surf everyday, Punta Hermosa is the place to be and it'll take a while to get a handle on the breaks in the area

Also don't rule out the Inca Trial if ya have the time and the money, its world renowned for a reason and the temple of the moon is just out of the world.

Finally Puerto Viejo is a must, place is teaming with fish, birds and dolphins, never had a surf like it

FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby perusurf » Sat May 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Many people do that, base down here and then move up wth a good swell, there are lots of breaks from here to puerto viejo or cerro azul a Little farther south, all in a day's trip, but i do recommend seeing some other places, although we got waves everyday they might not be perfect, but all breaks here wave their magical moments as well...
huanchaco,chicama, Pacasmayo, lobitos, órganos, mancora you should check out, some are very touristy and big party scene, some are quiet and not many people..depends what you want, november is a good months, right before summer and all the crowds, and still getting swells with warmer wáter, i'm sure everywhere you go you'll get help on planing your trip....sometimes is better to play it by the ear.
http://www.bravosurfcamp.com
$22 US or 16€ includes 3 meals per day, $11US or 8€ just lodging
Good waves all year round!
perusurf

Postby Dantastic » Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Do a search Peru + surfspots:
http://www.perusurfguides.com/peru_surf ... es_map.php

http://www.wavehunters.com/peru-surfing ... surf-tours

Trujillo is an ok town but better to go to Huanchaco for surf - from there you can tours to Chicama & other spots.

Lima to Organos - I'm in Oz. Not all bus companies will get you and your gear there together. Some sites: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g2 ... Buses.html and http://howtoperu.com/2010/08/20/best-pe ... rt-safety/

Some top advice and links here mate. Thank you.

Regarding Stormrider - I copied I pasted it into a word doc which I printed. Lobitos isn't an island. It's south of Mancora, north of Piura.

Bob
Dantastic

Postby Dantastic » Mon May 12, 2014 1:51 pm

rodent wrote:
Bob

Agreed but it makes a damned good base and you can get decent overnight bus's to Chicama or Pacasmayo when they are on

If the objective of the trip is to surf everyday, Punta Hermosa is the place to be and it'll take a while to get a handle on the breaks in the area

Also don't rule out the Inca Trial if ya have the time and the money, its world renowned for a reason and the temple of the moon is just out of the world.

Finally Puerto Viejo is a must, place is teaming with fish, birds and dolphins, never had a surf like it

That picture is ridiculous. Where was that? Puerto Viejo?
Dantastic

Postby Dantastic » Mon May 12, 2014 2:00 pm

Well Punta Hermosa is my first stop off and if I like it I will hang out. Im looking for somewhere with plenty of variation but importantly some soft waves to get me surf fit. Currently in maybe 2-3 times a month so want to be suring everyday and get some shoulders and lats before trying my hand at some of the heavier breaks.

Can you guys reccomend anywhere to stay at Punta Hermosa? Have looked at the surf hostel here but its looking like it will cost around £10 a night which is more than I pay to live in Nottingham!

Roughly what would you say is the cost per day? Eating basic street food, rice etc, couple of beers maybe and digs? Trying to get a feeel for how much I need and how long my $$$ will last.

Also unsure on suits. Will a 3/2mm be warm enough for this time of year? Keep seeing temp from 16 c to 21 c. The lower temps seem a bit fresh for a 3/2?

Again anything you think would be worth knowing please do chuck at me. I'm super stoked on any info I can get from guys who have been and know what the crack is.

Cheers.
Dantastic

Postby rodent » Mon May 12, 2014 5:06 pm

One of the places I stayed is with peruadventure.com at the lodge in Punta Hermosa, is quite central and within walking distance of Caballeros, Señoritas and La Isla (Punta Hermosa).

Food and Lodging were great, Ia Lisa firing below

Photo with dolphins is of Puerto Viejo, not my photo but the place is well worth a day trip if you can arrange it with one of the local surf camps
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby perusurf » Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 pm

well the longer you stay the cheaper it could be, today we surfed puerto viejo, it was the best i've surfed it in a long time, long head high lefts, it seems this year wáter is way warmer than it should be, it seems like a small niño will affect this year an wáter temp won't drop as much, besides november is already srping here and temps rising as we go into summer, 3'2 is enough, out in Street you could get a meal for about 2 euros up to 10 euros each meal, lodging from 7euros on up to 80euros depending on where you stay, plenty of places around to stay, not everyone will take you out surfing everyday though and not everyone has internet Access or wi-fi.
perusurf

Postby Johnie » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:24 pm

For Sale Now!

New Custom Made Klimax Longboard 9"4' x 23" x 3 1/8"

Bought in Lima new on 14 June 2014 and used only in Huanchaco while on holiday.

Paid US$580 (1,624 soles) For Quick Sale at US$300 (dolars only).

I have boleta de venta

Contact John at Hostel Naylamp, Huanchaco.

jmlregan@gmail.com

Thanks,

Monday, 7 July
Johnie

Postby Dantastic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 am

Thanks again for the info guys. Really helpful!

Any tips on who to fly with and bus companies who are cool with Surf Boards?

Looking at LAN as they have free board travel, most other airlines want around £150 per flight!

Also what's the used board market like over there? I will probably get a board shaped but want something to ride while I wait. Any recommended shapers out there? Cheers.
Dantastic

Postby poulet » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Hey Dan, currently living in Peru so here are my tips
Not sure about flights, really whoever suits your needs best ie cost, leg space, board charges, free booze, etc...(maybe not in that order though)
Good bus companies are Cruz del Sur, Civa, TRC, Oltursa...most are cool with boards though there may be an additional charge which you can sometimes bargain down. Buses can be really comfy bed style if you pay a little bit more so if you travel at night you save yourself a hostel fee and normally get in really early for a cheeky dawny if lucky.
New boards range from $350 - 600 but second hand can still be quite expensive.
Good local shapers in Lima are:

http://www.klimaxsurf.com/ Klimax surfboards, got loads of second hands, board bags, fins, etc
http://www.wayowhilar.com.pe/ Wayo Whilar sufboards, oldest shaper (i think) going in Peru, haven't checked the shop but he used to have super good boards
https://www.facebook.com/jeribiffi/info Martin Jeri surfboards, tends to work with epoxy boards, I've seen some super sick shapes but not tried any...think these are more expensive. Also think this dude is based in Punta Hermosa. When I was a kid, this guy used to absolutely fucking shred and was always super cool to all us groms
http://cisurfboardsperu.com/ Not really local but if you want a CIS at cheaper price than UK
Alfredo Tello boards, they have an office in Miraflores, Lima with some second hand boards but only popped in now and again

Also have a search on facebook for peruvian shapers as smaller companies tend to have pages there, I was chatting to a guy who had a company Martinez surfboards with some really interesting shapes
good luck
poulet

Postby Dantastic » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Poulet thanks for the post. I'll male some notes and get booked in. Like the tip about the busses. Have been looking at some mega long bus journeys so any sleep is welcome.

Whereabouts are you based?

Definitely going to look at a cheap used board as back up to my fish.
Dantastic

Postby poulet » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:09 am

I'm based in Lima but I would fully recommend not staying here unless necessary...crowded, dirty and tonnes of traffic
Get south or north asap so you can score waves. There are waves on the Costa Verde in Miraflores but they're pretty mushy and weak, then again better than nothing :lol:
poulet

Postby Dantastic » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:32 pm

I'd looked at staying in miraflores fort a few days but if it's not great I will move on. Poulet, what's the used board market like there? Unsure on whether to take my own or buy one there? If you have any advice it'd be appreciated.
Dantastic

Postby poulet » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:11 pm

decent used boards can be a bit costly, something decent can be between $250-400 depending on your luck...best bet for a cheap deal is finding someone who is just leaving and needs to unload boards but thats a bit of a gamble.
Best array of used boards I've seen usually are in Klimax but as mentioned are a bit steep, I saw a nice, newish board for $300 but it had quite a few pressure dings, no tail pad or fins included and considering that a new board is $400 wasn't convinced to buy. In fact still surfing my Quivers I had from UK which have been to Panamá, Nicaragua and now Perú :P although one is in need of retirement!
If you're coming over with a board already it might be more useful to buy another in the UK and come over with a coffin bag. I have a massive coffin bag that takes 3 - 5 boards depending on how much I stuff into it which I usually take if I'm off on a surf trip. As long as it weighs below 32kg and is below a certain length I normally only have to pay the board surcharge but check carefully your airline excess baggage info. It can work out cheaper than buying boards and is definitely removes the hassle of having to find, then flog your boards during your trip.
hope this helps
poulet

Postby Dantastic » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Hey Poulet,

Thanks for the tips. Is it easy enough to get a board shaped, like how long? Thinking of getting a board shaped there and bringing my current one fish, that and a short board will do me fine I reckon?

Flight is booked, I land December 6th! Well stoked!
Dantastic

Postby perusurf » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 am

we got used boards from around $100US on up, we could get you a new one for about 330USD new tail pad included, special deal. december weather is nice, so is wáter temp, spring suit would be enough
perusurf

Postby HURLED » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:22 am

perusurf wrote:we got used boards from around $100US on up, we could get you a new one for about 330USD new tail pad included, special deal. december weather is nice, so is wáter temp, spring suit would be enough

Hey i can't get in to your web site for some reason can you post your E-mail Address thinking off heading out In Jan.
HURLED

Postby Dantastic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:21 pm

perusurf wrote:we got used boards from around $100US on up, we could get you a new one for about 330USD new tail pad included, special deal. december weather is nice, so is wáter temp, spring suit would be enough

How long would it take to get a new board? Would I have to be in Lima for this? Hoping not to be city bound for too long at all.
Dantastic

Postby perusurf » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Hi, sorry, if you're trying from an iPhone or ipad then u can't see it.... will be able to son though anyway, you could write at info@bravosurfcamp.com or look us up on Facebook and text there..... Lima is 40 min drive from here, we could have the board here waiting for you by the tie you get here,
perusurf

Postby Dantastic » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Thanks Guys.

Good Website Bravo when you look on a PC! PM sent.

Getting well excited now!
Dantastic

Postby skysareblue » Sun Sep 28, 2014 6:36 pm

Been to Peru twice now.
What I learned:
1. Get fit, very fit before you go. You'll be paddling a lot. 10-15 minute paddle outs at a lot of spots.
2. Punta Hermosa is getting crowded and more expensive. But there are 5 excellent breaks all very close to one another.
3. Get the bus to Trujillo. Takes about 10 hours. Then a 10 minute taxi ride to Huanchaco. Very good, relatively easy wave, which will help you get ready for ......PACASMAYO.
4. 2 hours on the bus up the coast and .......Pacasmayo is a world class left hander which is gonna test your fitnes levels but is worth it. So worth it. It's never crowded, but is sick!
5. When it's too big hit Chicama or Puemapé.
Peru has some absolutely incredible waves, wasn't too impressed with the rest but I went to surf so that didn't really mtter.
skysareblue

Postby poulet » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm

wow, been a while since I checked this:
Definitely agree with skysareblue, get paddle fit. paddle outs can be long but you also need the energy for paddling back up to the point after those long lefts (and rights around Punta Hermosa)
Punta Hermosa can get crowded and probably will be crowded at certain times and in certain spots, especially as its getting warmer and more people will be in the water. There are normally enough waves for everybody though and you can always go check out other spots as they are so close together
I would probably go north after Punta Hermosa, check out Huanchaco, Chicama, Pacasmayo, Poemape, Lobitos, etc...
There were a couple of features here a while back about Peru
http://magicseaweed.com/news/stormriding-n-peru/3509/
http://magicseaweed.com/news/travel-sto ... peru/4822/
You're gonna have a sweet trip if any big northern swells hit!
poulet

Postby Dantastic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:26 am

@skysareblue thanks for the top tips. I'm in the pool as much as I can be and working hard on land. I'm going to spend a couple of weeks ish in punta hermosa to get surf fit and then have pretty much planned as you said 3,4, and 5. Super stoked! I'm also only going for the surf so not too fussed about the rest.

@poulet. Thanks for the links. They were great links and I'm going to save them as PDFs so I can re read them on my journey!

Cheers again guys.
Dantastic

Postby rodent » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:03 am

Well how did the trip go
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Next

Return to Surf Travel