peniche or Ericeira ? Accommodation?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

peniche or Ericeira ? Accommodation?

Postby JayP » Fri May 29, 2015 6:47 am

Going with the family (4 non surfers) kids are 15, 18 and 21 . Would peniche or Ericeira be better for them? ..... or should I just go back to cascais to be nearer lisbon? And (long shot) do you know of any good accommodation suitable ?
JayP

Re: peniche or Ericeira ? Accommodation?

Postby Ride351 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:06 pm

Hi Jay!
We recommend Ericeira a charming and traditional fishing village. The people here are very connected to the sea and surfers from all over the world come for the quality of the waves. At the beaches of Ericeira you will find some of the best waves in the country, in fact it is internationally recognised and is the first World Surfing Reserve in Europe. It is the perfect place to surf and feel the surf spirit, not only at the beaches, but also in the daily life of the village. Here you can also sample local gastronomy based on seafood.

Also, in Ericeira you will be near to Peniche if you want to go there for a surf session, near Sintra where you can do a visit to the amazing and magic monuments and even do a day trip to Cascais or Lisbon for sightseeing.

Feel free to contact us at http://www.ride351.com and we can help you creating a surf package with some extra activities for the all family.

All the best and good waves!
Ride351

Postby GB Benny » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:47 pm

JayP wrote:Going with the family (4 non surfers) kids are 15, 18 and 21 . Would peniche or Ericeira be better for them? ..... or should I just go back to cascais to be nearer lisbon? And (long shot) do you know of any good accommodation suitable ?

How'd you go with this?

I'm going in the beginning of October and taking a 3 year old. Looking at an apartment in Baleal over by lagide. Was going to go to the algarve but flights are too expensive

Anyone know the temps in early October? Missus wants sun!
GB Benny

Postby buttholesurfer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:23 pm

Ericeria ... done it twice. Check out the BBQ Peri Peri chicken near Boardculture surf shop. Best break that's close is R D'ilhias or something like that, sketchy getting out on a hide tide as the rip runs on the only exit point that's 25 metres wide,miss it and your paddling back to the peak for a 'take two!' But a great right hander.
buttholesurfer

Postby GB Benny » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:43 pm

Looks good, not considered that area before. Lagide, Almagreira and Belgas look real fun especially with a place to stay over the road from Lagide
GB Benny

Postby JayP » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:43 am

Yep. Ericeira is class. And yes the paddle in at ribeira d ilhas can be a bitch at high! Great wave but crowded.
We stayed in a fantastic apartment near lourinha. A quiet area just south of peniche with a pool virtually to ourselves. From there you have to drive around a bit but peniche is 10 mins. Ericeira about 30. Amazing area but quiet. Peniche is so good for the wind though. You can always find a wave. Ericeira is a beautiful town with a few shops for the mrs. Whichever you pick you'll have a ball. Next time I think we'll stay in Ericeira but I'll probably book late again and make a swell based decision as peniche has more shelter.
Enjoy !
JayP

Postby ATTMFKH » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:47 am

^^ aye the wind options at Peniche are good - 1st time I've seen a wave signposted off the main road 8)
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby GB Benny » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 am

Want lots of swell and good wind options, I surf enough wind swell at home!

Been going to south west Spain the past few years, great beach break within walking distance from the villas and a right hand point up the road but can be hit and miss with the swells, weathers always cooking though so that keeps the missus and nipper happy!
GB Benny

Postby JayP » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:03 pm

You're talking El Palmar/ Conil area - love it round there. Can be epic if you get the swell, frustrating if not. Again - book late if possible!
JayP

Postby GB Benny » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:31 pm

Yep went for ten days last October, had a villa just behind Homies in El Palmar, got good waves for 7 of those days including two days at Canos De Mecca! And hot weather! Total result as we booked a few months before hand 8)

I'm going to book the week before - wherever the swell and sun is best

And wherever is cheapest of course!
GB Benny

Return to Surf Travel