Winter destinations for honeymoon and surf

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Winter destinations for honeymoon and surf

Postby onefinleary » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:10 pm

So as the title says I'm looking for a good winter destination for about two months. Criteria is

Surfable - probably only take one board with me so either my 5'8" quad or 5'10" 2+1 and then maybe a handplane and a paipo. So a nice shoulder to head high would be nice but happy to go a bit smaller or bigger.

Plenty of culture and other things to do like walks, climbs, volcano hikes etc.

This isn't just a surf trip. Would like to get as much culture as possible but plenty of other things to see and do.

I'm in Sri Lanka in August so that's out the equation. Probably Indo or the Philippines but would also consider Costa Rica or Nicaragua. Done all of them apart from the Philippines but the wife-to-be has only done Indo before. Not that it matters but I suppose always nice to go somewhere new.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
If only there was a simpler way to get difficult things done.
http://www.mark-leary.com/
onefinleary

Re: Winter destinations for honeymoon and surf

Postby Leven » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:21 pm

What month?

Personally, I'd skip NIca (shit hole) and CR (full of Yanks), and head to El Salvador/Mexico. ES has an abundance of RH points, fat ones, heavy ones, and one that does an incredible impersonation of J Bay on its day. There's also volcanoes, sugar plantations, waterfalls etc. You could hop on a bus up to Honduras and look at all the ruins too.

And Mexico doesn't need much of an introduction. Loads of culture, cities, beaches if it's small, reefs if it's bigger. Only thing is, it's a BIG country, and tough to get around quickly.

All depends on the month though....Our winter isn't the ideal swell window for Central America....
Leven

Postby onefinleary » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Yeah, should have said. Probably Jan and Feb.

Surprised to hear your thoughts on Nicaragua as I loved the place [went a long time ago though so maybe it's changed] and I've only ever done the caribbean side of Costa Rica so I've avoided the Yanks. :-)

El Salvador is a good call though. :-)

Think our first choice though is Asia over the Americas. Thanks anyway. All good food for thought and more stuff to research.
onefinleary

Postby Dantastic » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:08 am

Ecuador. Shit loads to do out of the water, more wildlife than you can handle on the Galapagos and there is a ton of mega surf. At that time of the year it will be pleasantly warm and not too hot at all. City breaks, beach towns and places like Banos if you like a bit of outdoors.... Plus its pretty cheap, easy to get around and the people are awesome.
Dantastic

Postby onefinleary » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:53 am

Thanks Dan. Yep wildlife would be a good extra activity. Well, I better get on with my research.
onefinleary

Postby surfrat » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:54 am

interested to hear what you decide. i'm looking at south africa feb/march next year but always like the sound of ecuador
http://www.facebook.com/pages/HunterSurf/133748279996238
surfrat

Postby georgepal » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:32 pm

Yeah, what did u finlly decide? And when you say El Salvador Mexido do you mean SAN SALVADOR just below Guatemala?
georgepal

Postby onefinleary » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 pm

So still haven't decide. We're planning a megamoon (oooh get me!! Hahhah) so until then we are probably going to go to Portugal for a week at the end of October and then plan for Indo, Philippines and maybe Burma or Sri Lanka.

Plenty more research to be done though.
onefinleary

Postby Archy_is_God » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:24 am

Congratulations!

What kind of 'balance' are you looking for between chilling/exploring/surfing? Does it need to be hot weather?

If not, then gotta be worth looking at places off the 'surf route' maybe? We married in Italy in August a few years back and while I didn't take a board, I wish I had.... but when it comes to culture and romance it's hard to beat. A week in Rome and a week in Sardinia could be a great combo...?

Also went to Brazil a couple years back which is a lot fun, if surprisingly pricey in parts. Heaps of good uncrowded surf out of the main cities and friendly line-ups, contrary to common belief. While we were there, we met a few people who were raving about Argentina, but we couldn't fit it in our trip unfortunately.

Good time of year to hit Barbados, Martinique, St Barts and BVI too (depending on how friendly your bank is, although Barbados is not mega pricey)

Never been to either Taiwan or Malaysia but know people who have scored great waves in both places. Apparently there is a mega long left point in the latter that works in our winter... same swell that hits the Philippines maybe?
Archy_is_God

Postby onefinleary » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:21 pm

Thanks Archy. Much appreciated. Just had the wedding and couldn't of had better weather. A few weeders were there too.

So we're going to Ericeira in October half term and just going to rent a car and I'll take one board with me. Seven days there and then two in Lisbon. Want to pop into Magic Quiver as well.

Then we're going to get our head down and do some research for the megamoon. Probably Indo or the Philippines or India/Sri Lanka.

Portugal will be perfect though as Beth has only surfed once and she can have another lesson in Portugal and then warmer waters wherever we end up going later. A bunch of her friends had a post-wedding hang-over surf on Sunday and they loved it so much they've already started googling vans and surfboard and wetsuits. :-)
onefinleary

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 am

Hooray! Excellent stuff! Portugal is a good one

Always wanted to travel to mainland India then pootle off to either Sri Lanka, Maldives or even the Andaman's... that would be a fantastic trip.

Northern Indo is an interesting trip in our wintertime too. Right up north is particularly interesting :wink:
Archy_is_God

Postby onefinleary » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:17 am

Right, off to do more research. Thanks again Archy. :-)
onefinleary

Postby Bootneck 86 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:30 pm

Where did you decide to go?

If you were in Sri Lanka in August, then I'm guessing that you were on the East Coast? If you do decide to head back to Sri Lanka for our winter then I am guessing that you will be on the South West Coast? If you need a heads-up on areas away from Hikkaduwa (further south), including beaches that would be perfect for a beginner like your missus, then please feel free to drop me a line and I'll get it posted on here.

Congratulations, by the way!

All the best . . .
Bootneck 86

Postby onefinleary » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:26 pm

Well we went to Portugal in then end and had some lovely waves. Still planning on going to Sri Lanka at some point. I love the country so much so can't leave it too long before we go back. :-)

Thanks Bootneck. :-)
onefinleary

Return to Surf Travel