October in California

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

October in California

Postby georgepal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:06 am

Hello all! After some researching i'm probably travelling to LA in September (or October) for around 10 days longboarding/SUP Surf and then probably flying somewhere around,
First of all, i'm thinking of renting a car in LA so that i'm able to drive around the spots (since as i see they are many) but also make some visits to Hollywood, Beverly Hills, etc. Do you think thats a good idea?
Where is there best location to stay if i want to combine good surf in the morning and some walks/dinner/drinks in the afternoon with the wife? Where does autumn bring best swells? City center, somewhere close to the beach, San Diego, San Clemente, Long Beach? Or are they all the same?
Is there any problem if i SUP surf in those beaches or SUP is acceptable in LA surf beaches?
georgepal

Re: October in California

Postby Jory » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:47 pm

SUP is tolerated more at some spots than others. You will make more friends riding a longboard.

A car is a must wherever you stay, achieving anything in the US without a car outside the city centres is difficult. LA traffic is a nightmare. Personally I wouldn't stay central LA as it's busy and most of the waves are average beach break. You're better off just driving in to see the tourist stuff and leaving again.

San Clemente is nice, doheny, San O and trestles are all close enough for a quick mission. Leucadia / Cardiff area is a good base closer to San Diego. Nice quiet beach towns with fun waves (swamis and Cardiff reef are great and leucadia has fun soft reef waves too) and not too much crowded. Close enough to drive into either SD or LA to explore but don't have a busy city feel themselves.

Further North, carpinteria/ Santa Barbara is beautiful. Rincon and many other right hand points start to work that time of year.

Autumn is a good call since if you're lucky you will get a mix of south and north swells and then most spots will be working.

Scroll about 30 pics backward on here for some pics from my last trip

https://instagram.com/jory04/
Jory

Re: October in California

Postby georgepal » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks @Jory for your reply. Already book at Long Beach which is almost in between Huntington and Santa Monica for 5 days and then head to St Clemente and San Diego for 2 more (haven't decided yet where to stay)
georgepal

Return to Surf Travel