Bali in September-October. Board and accommodation advice

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Bali in September-October. Board and accommodation advice

Postby JJT » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello

Going to Bali for in the end of September. I'm used to having more time for surf trips, I know that 3 weeks will fly by, that's why I need all the advice I can get, so I don't waste any time.

Level is intermediate-advanced, though less experience with really hollow stuff.
I would literally like to land, buy a shortboard asap and find somewhere to stay in the 10-25$ range. Would naturally like to avoid the worst crowds.
I am travelling alone.

Surf wise I have travelled extensively in South-America and Europe, but never this part of the world, so all tips and advice are much appreciated.

Thanks, JJ
JJT

Re: Bali in September-October. Board and accommodation advic

Postby saalro » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:25 pm

Kuta has a good selection of boards to buy, there is a shop called Naruki that has a good reputation, i got my board there and had it fixed there a few times at a good price. My board cost 5mill, a Mauricio Gill board, Chilli boards cost about 6mill, DHD around 7mill and CI cost a ridiculous amount about 9/10mill, you can pick up boards for 3/4mill new but not as good. Lot of second hand boards for sale too.

Seminyak may also be good, but i didn't go there, that's north of Kuta a little.

A taxi from the airport to Kuta is about 100thou, there are loads of drives waiting and you'll notice the registered drivers as they all wear the same shirts. I think it's about 14thou to a USD.

In Kuta i stayed at a place called Komala Indah:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/-8.71 ... d-8.712769

This cost 120thou a night, it's private rooms but very basic, cold water and all.

Nicer rooms cost 200thou+.

Kuta is very busy and full of people trying to sell things, it's a tourist/party city.

I went to Padang Padang/Uluwatu, a taxi will cost you around 200thou - 300thou.
In Padang Padang i stayed at a place called Belong Bunter, about 10 minutes walk to Padang Padang beach and a cool spot to chill out with shops, this cost me 150thou a night.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bel ... 738eb83501

Then up the road a few miles in Uluwatu i stayed at a place called Jacko, again this was 150thou a night.
Both of these accommodation rent motorbikes at about 50thou a day.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Jac ... omodation+)/@-8.821202,115.089771,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x2dd25001de5f2a07:0xc341848024f7be35

There are a few other accommodations around both these places if you look, and around Kuta, you just got to look to find them or ask others becuase not many of them are listed on the internet that well or at all, but when you get there you'll soon start seeing them.

Police are hot on pulling over motorbikes especially foreigners on motorbikes, if you don't have a licence they will ask for a bribe, 50thou will do it, but people have been done for a lot more, so keep 50thou on it's own and this should do, never show them your wallet, and wear a helmet, regardless you'll still get stopped but this way they can't do you for no helmet as well.
If you ask around you can get a 30 day letter that costs about 200thou that says you got your licence stolen ha, we did this but we were travelling around, i must have got pulled over about 10 times in total, so much more than 200thou. There are police checkpoints about and if police drive by they will pull you over, i was behind a cop and they stopped me.
In Padang Padang and Uluwatu as it's away from Kuta and as long as you stay local you can get away with no licence, but on the way in or out there is a police check point which frequently operates.

I went in the rainy season so i'm not sure how busy they get in dry season.

This is all south of Kuta on the west coast, but there is places north of Kuta, I didn't go there. Also places on the East coast, but you might as well just drive there if you want to go there, it's not worth staying in my opinion but worth seeing, check Serangan Beach, that's a nice spot.

In my opinion Padang Padang and Uluwatu are rad spots.
Kuta is more central to other spots depending where you want to surf, but it's too busy and getting around unless you have your own transport is a taxi ride, and even with transport of your own you need a licence or you are basically guaranteed to get pulled.
You could stay in Kuta but the local Kuta break is nowhere near as beautiful as Uluwatu or Padang Padang.
saalro

Postby JJT » Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:23 pm

Thank you very much for the detailed, informative reply, I really appreciate it.

There is something wrong with the forum though, it says you posted on the 23rd August, but the post only appeared now.
Thanks again.
JJT

Postby roberdy » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:15 am

JJT wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed, informative reply, I really appreciate it.

There is something wrong with the forum though, it says you posted on the 23rd August, but the post only appeared now.
Thanks again.

As you are both new forum members, your posts will appear when I approve them, as I am not a full time employee that can sometimes take several days (especially if I am surfing and busy at work).
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Leedsol » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:23 pm

roberdy wrote:
JJT wrote:Thank you very much for the detailed, informative reply, I really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

As you are both new forum members, your posts will appear when I approve them, as I am not a full time employee that can sometimes take several days (especially if I am surfing and busy at work).

Pull your fucking finger out you slack twat. If you can post your Strava stats on facebook you can help these newbies out :wink:
You're too deep Camel..its Indo not Margaret River
Leedsol

Postby roberdy » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:48 pm

Leedsol wrote:
Pull your fucking finger out you slack twat. If you can post your Strava stats on facebook you can help these newbies out :wink:

Up yer kilt twatwaffle :) Strava updates automatically to Facebook, I actually have to log on here and read shit before I approve it!
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Return to Surf Travel