Flying to Sri Lanka with a surfboard?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Flying to Sri Lanka with a surfboard?

Postby Bootneck 86 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:49 pm

Just to warn anybody who is thinking of flying to Sri Lanka soon, with a surfboard, that Sri Lankan Airlines have recently changed the length of boards that they will allow on their planes (and not all of their staff seem to be fully aware of this!).

It was 8ft until fairly recently.

I was just about to fly out with a 6'4" myself, but thought I had better double-check (the day before I got on the plane!). The woman at the other end of the phone said that it was 7 foot, but didn't sound too certain about this, so I called back again and spoke to a different guy. He said that it had recently actually been changed to 6 foot. I made him go away and double-check this and he came back to me and said "Yes, it used to be 8 foot maximum length, but we have recently changed it to 6 foot maximum length".

So I am out here without a board now, as I didn't want to risk having to leave my 6'4" at Heathrow, if they didn't allow it on the plane. I guess I'll be hiring locally - again!

Just a bit of a heads-up for anyone thinking of coming over - but obviously, as ever, do your own research first.

Bootneck 86

Re: Flying to Sri Lanka with a surfboard?

Postby davec » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:10 am

Anyone else heard this or experienced this change? its not on Sri lankan Airways baggage site and I booked last June and this certainly was not the case!! I will check it out cos I'm gonna be very frustrated if it's a new policy. Thanks for any replies. I will post my findings.
davec

Postby Leven » Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:48 am

Flew with SL Air a couple of years ago, and they were pretty slack. Board bag counted as my main luggage, and went free. Was overweight weight too. Pack well though. In Columbo at check in I was asked to leave my board bag at a different (empty!) desk in the middle of the airport. I did, but hung around to watch and make sure no one nicked it. About half an hour later, some bloke rocks up, kicks it a couple of time, heaves it only a trolley, watches it fall off, heaves it back on again, then disappears....
Leven

Postby scoch644 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:27 am

Oh well at least you are not at work.....
scoch644

Postby davec » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:12 pm

Have been chasing Sri Lankan Airways and the agent I booked with and according to both the rules have not changed! They still take boards under 8 ft free. Hope this helps. I am a relieved man! Cheers Dave
davec

Postby prjwebb » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:51 am

Emirates are a good option also. Their board policy is great.
Leven, I know what you mean, I had to do the same thing. I didn't even have time to wait until it was picked up either.
prjwebb

Return to Surf Travel