Australia

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Australia

Postby Surfy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Alright all, Im heading over to Australia for two weeks in July, the plan is to buy a second hand surf board off Gumtree when I get to Brisbane, stick it in the Hire car and drive from Brisbane to Melbourne over the Two weeks. I’ll be stopping in at Sydney for a few days too. I’ve done a few lessons and surfed a bit on my own in Scotland, but never done anything like this before – I bought the wavefinder guide and it’s been helpful but anyone got any gems they’d recommend having a go on? Or any general advice that isn’t don’t fight the jellyfish? :lol:

Surfy
Surfy

Re: Australia

Postby roberdy » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:33 am

Beware Lennox Head to Evan's head region, lots of sharks, sightings and attacks over the last couple of years.

July could be okay, predominantly SE'ly swells so once you get past Byron you'll be getting the best of it. Can't tell you about any gems cause that's the fun of the search mate but pretty much every single little bump on the east coast of Oz has a right hand point reeling off of it.
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby lefty » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:57 pm

dont piss in the water mate

&

watch out for the drop bears
lefty

Postby Surfy » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:38 am

haha, thanks ill keep those in mind. Buzzing now!
Surfy

Postby Chris F » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:52 am

Have fun. And bear in mind two weeks isn't a long time to cover nearly 2000km.

And avoid the Wolf Creek area.
Chris F

Postby JayP » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:21 pm

My advice would be don't drive 2000km in 2 weeks! Thats a shit load of driving for a holiday! What happens if you get to a break and its going off its tits for 4 or 5 days?
Keep your plans loose and don't try to see it all.

Have fun
JayP

Postby thechimp » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:32 pm

All good advice, instead of drving around brisvegas looking for a bargain on gumtree, visit sideways surf or the surfboardwarehouse, real good value new boards for a fraction of what you can get in the UK. Driving..keep to the speed limit and beware ozzie drivers, entering a dual carriageway or motorway very few people will let you in, i've seen more road rage incidents in Oz than anywhere, stuck in the traffic on the sunshine coast motorway a few weeks ago a 4x4 cut in front of another land cruiser, the guy behind got out, dragged the guy out and threw a punch, the laid back aussie is now a myth, just be aware and don't give anyone the finger.
thechimp

Postby Surfy » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:47 am

Ill keep the driving in mind, and i had a look on the surf shop websites you said chimp, no bad deals!

Surfy
Surfy

Postby bgreen » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:05 pm

July is winter which could seem like the UK summer. However, the further south you go, the colder it gets.

I wouldn't spend my time driving if you want to go surfing. It doesn't sound like you are looking for isolated slabs so I'd just pick a section of coast and explore it. Gold Coast & Byron keeps a lot of people happy. As noted sharks around the Ballina area have been an issue. Sunshne coast can have fun beachies at that time of year

Coffs Harbour area has lots of options. Crescent Head area has places to explore.

South of Sydney could keep you occupied for months. Although its a city Wollongong has plenty of spots. South to the border could keep a surfer very happy.

East and west of Melbourne - lots of waves.

Driving without understanding surf conditions could result in a lot of driving. Wave Finder and The Surfer's Travel Guide Australia are two current books. Wannasurf is an online source, but amongst it are some real dead ends. Pinkenba as a surf spot is someones idea of a joke. Swellnet and coastalwatch have surf forecasts & reports.

Bob
bgreen

Postby Surfy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:47 am

Two weeks to go now, getting buzzing! Wetsuit is waiting in brisbane, board to be picked up on the 14th - hopefully it matches Pease Bay :wink:
Surfy

Postby Surfy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:05 am

Surfed Gold coast on tuesday, surfers paradise - waves are much bigger and warmer than back in scotland, it was a bit messy but who cares. Moved to Bondi today, spent all day in the water, it was only 2ft and 1 star but again, its 18 degrees and i spent all day in the water! Melbourne on saturday, gonna hit up torquay it looks pumping 8) ive also never seen so many hot birds on boards before, Australia is aaaace.

Surfy
Surfy

Postby ATTMFKH » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:01 pm

nice one mate - get in there. surf your tits off
Are We Too Deep ...............
ATTMFKH

Postby Surfy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:51 am

Back in the office now, surfed torquay and bells beach last week and got thrown about big time - think ill stick to waves under 7ft! back on with the wetsuit and boots, pease awaits :lol:
Surfy

Return to Surf Travel