Which island in Maldives for a land based surf trip?

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Which island in Maldives for a land based surf trip?

Postby tume » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:47 pm

Looking to visit Maldives for a week early April. Traveling with two-non surfers so instead of a boat trip we are planning to stay in a budget hotel/inn. Not interested in 5-star resorts as there are bunch reasonably priced places in AirBnB etc. Ideally located on an island where I could walk / take a short boat ride to access a local break (more keen on rights than lefts) and then occasional half-day/full-day boat trip to other spots if possible.

I have done some research and pretty much narrowed it down to Thulusdhoo (Cokes, Chickens) or Himmafushi (Jails, plus Honkys and Sultans near). Or would it be worth it to stay somewhere more secluded like South Atoll and then take boat trips from there? Any tips appreciated, thanks.
tume

Re: Which island in Maldives for a land based surf trip?

Postby redboard » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:14 am

Either Thulusdhoo (Cokes) or Himmafushi (Jails) as both give you direct access to the rights off the islands and both are only a short boat trip from the airport. Jails is slightly more consistent then Cokes and as you're going early season possibly a better bet. Benefit of April is very settled weather - so expect small but super clean. The swell is usually smaller on the South Male atoll. Both islands are very similar for your non-surfing friends. I'm off to Lohi's for my 9th year at the end of April. Enjoy
redboard

Postby tume » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Thanks for the tips - I booked a nice resort on Thulusdhoo, setup seems awesome. Cant wait!
tume

Postby briggfoot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:35 pm

tume wrote:Thanks for the tips - I booked a nice resort on Thulusdhoo, setup seems awesome. Cant wait!

Hope you have a great time bud. I've travelled there in shouder season before and had playful fun to pumping surf every day.
Ignore MSW forecasts for the breaks. Some of the rips out there are insane by the way between the islands, at certain stages of tide, between cokes and chickens for example, so watch out for that if you decide to paddle over for a few lefts!! You might never get there!!!! You could kind of wake-board behind a stationary boat at anchor at times. I remember my friends jumping out of the boat in to the line -up for an empty surf and no-one made it to the peak!
briggfoot

Postby Johnnye » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:34 pm

I stayed at thulusdhoo last may and can recommend it. Chickens is a more forgiving wave than cokes and there is always a boat taking people over there so no need to paddle. Getting out at Cokes can be a mission if your duck diving isn't up to much ( like mine). Was a lot heavier out there than I was expecting too but soon got used to it. Thulusdhoo is a chilled place with a few shops and restaurants. Make sure you check out 'contagious pizza', a little pizza place run by a couple from Texas. If I went again I'd prob do a boat trip to south Male. Also reef is sharp so def take boots. we got cut to shreds lol.
Johnnye

Postby Chinaman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:34 am

I'm heading to the Maldives end of May for a family/surf trip. What's the best currency to take to pay the local boat guys US$ or local currency.? Thanks
Chinaman

Postby redboard » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:56 am

Dollars
redboard

Postby Chinaman » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks Redboard.
Chinaman

Postby everyman&hisdog » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:33 am

Where did you guys stay? Looking to go with the family next year so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
everyman&hisdog

Return to Surf Travel