South Portugal, Canary Islands or Morocco in January

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

South Portugal, Canary Islands or Morocco in January

Postby François Hulot » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi everyone!

Looking for some advice here!

My friend and myself are planning a 3 weeks long trip in January, but are still unsure about the destination. We both are intermediate surfers (surf up to 6 feets, late take-off, duck dive, messy cut-back and sh*t roller)
We've been considering 3 destinations so far, and would like some comments about them:

-Portugal: consistent surf in that period of the year, not too crowded?, can rent a camper so cheap, but cold water
-Canary Island: consistent surf as well, better weather, but probably crowded?
-Morocco: consistent surf? Crowded? Hot water?

Thanks for your help!
François Hulot

Re: South Portugal, Canary Islands or Morocco in January

Postby xsurfer87 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 am

Hi Francois!
My name is Fabio and I am planning a surf trip in Morocco from Feb 25 to Mar 4 (I am also an intermediate surfer). Would you like to share the trip? :)

Let me give you my 2 cents:
- Portugal is a good option, water could be cold (4/3mm wetsuit should be fine) but you can find really good waves and plenty of spots can chose your size and crowd! (I lived/surfed in Portugal, Lisbon, for 1y)
- Canary Island, I surfed in Fuerteventura in Jan 2011, amazing waves, weather and temperature (water is still cold, I was using 4/3mm) but you are right, there are a lot of people fighting to catch a wave and you can easily find crazy people in the water!

The latest one, Morocco...well, I will tell you soon or maybe we can discover it together! :)

Return to Surf Travel