Mal waves Gran Canaria

Information, advice or questions on travelling to surf. Or reports and photos from your recent trips.

Mal waves Gran Canaria

Postby SonnyX » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Hey All,
Heading to Gran Canaria on sunday and am keen for tips on mal spots away from the hassle...
Hearing locals are lil sketchy, and have been living in Denmark for the last 10 months (from Aus), so looking for a good vibe to get back on the nose. i need this.
Just my luck, forecast looks a bit blown out for the north coast all fucking week so anything south would be helpful.

Cheers,
Xav
SonnyX

Re: Mal waves Gran Canaria

Postby Kookie » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:46 am

I lived there for a couple of years and I am not aware of anything really ticking those boxes for you. Both in terms of wind and in terms of mal accessibility.

All the spots not in the north I'd suggest are on the MS map. They're very inconsistent and I never really had a good session there despite what I heard online. There's Mosca Point in the east but it's heavily localised and sensitive to wind so why bother? I searched a lot on the east coast for this wind situation too and to cut very long stories short, I didn't find anything reliable. Again, only 1 or 2 good sessions on the east coast in those 2 years and on those days it was alright in the north anyway.
I also searched the west coast and the cliffs just go into the sea except for a single beach which takes ages to get to and I don't think it has banks anyway.

Really, you're on the wrong Island both for a northerly wind and also for Mal waves. A flight or ferry over to another island is pretty cheap.
Sorry, I'm sure you don't want to hear that :/

That said, the wind might not be as bad as forecast and you could get lucky. This time of year the forecast is pretty unreliable.

If you're absolutely stuck and can't get to another island then I'd say just watch the wind because your might get lucky and if it's windy explore the east coast both for Mosca Point and around there. Bear in mind that the east coast is pretty localised too so be careful. To be honest I would never get into the water with a mal in GC anywhere except the biggest spots. It's not as bad as the attacks in Tenerife but it's still major aggro.
Kookie

Re: Mal waves Gran Canaria

Postby skysareblue » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:03 am

Would like to hear more about the Tenerife trouble you mention, Kookie. Going for a week in December so would be good to know what to watch out for.
Went to Gran Canaria in 2016 and Fuerteventura in 2017. Found Gran Canaria very frustrating and inconsistent. There is Maspaloms in the south but nothing special at all. Fuerteventura, on the other hand, is another level. The breaks around the town of Corralejo are amazing and the North Shore is amazing, if you are young and fit enough for the paddle outs.
skysareblue

Return to Surf Travel