Problems Popping up...

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Re: Problems Popping up...

Postby jp246 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:25 pm

Nah it's not wrong, on carpet you do scrape your knees
jp246

Postby rank_amateur » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:10 am

Jasedrummer wrote:Also practice popping up on land, I do 25 pop ups a day...as well as improving your strength, its also muscle memory, so when you get in the water you don't have to worry about what do when the time comes.

That's great advice, I'm at the same stage so I spent last week doing that every day and really noticed the difference when I tried to surf on Sunday. I barely had to think about it at all and lost count of how many times I got up whereas normally I lose count of how many times I fall off. Still crap but heading the right way. ;-)

Cheers.
rank_amateur

Postby Ross90 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Ive started to do 20 or so pop ups a few times a day in my room, for the muscle memory and getting used to it etc. Hoopefully will see the difference when i get out and get wet again. Bloody flat all week up my way :( Friday is the only "promising" day and its 1.5 foot. Hopefully if its got a few nice albeit small waves (i don't really care on the size of them, but you do need some sort of power there) and i manage to get out anyway :)
Local as fuck
Ross90

Postby Nic76 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:49 pm

Popping up is one of the most physically demanding aspects of surfing. Sure paddling out is knackering, but you can get away with a little sloppiness here and there. Whereas popping up needs to be nailed perfectly in preferably one dynamic movement. Plenty of pop-up practice makes a fine start and will get the basic strengths and muscle memory going... Stretching will help your movement to be smoother and easier... but to really nail it with confidence get to some surf specific training. There are plenty of books and websites on this, so get reading... go for the more modern as techniques have come on a lot recently. Surf specific training will strengthen and condition specific muscles in specific directions to hone your body for surfing, including the pop-up. Various techniques are used including using instability devices that can move while you exercise so getting you ready for your unstable surf board. For pop-up try doing push-ups on a balance board - it'll help balance your push-up so when in the drink you'll push evenly with each arm while still being able to subtly control the board. While all this sounds hard work, with time, effort and practice the pop-up can become second nature and feel easy...
Nic
fun balanced fitness
http://www.coolboard.co.uk
Nic76

Postby emg1500 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:48 pm

I seem to have the habit of standing straight up after a pop up. Any suggestions on how to fix this?
emg1500

Postby FranklinParkRam » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:51 pm

Yes, me too. I am grateful for any advice on this topic.
FranklinParkRam

Postby Philchapman » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:36 pm

Is this what surfing has come to?
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Philshoz » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Philchapman wrote:Is this what surfing has come to?

Afraid so Phil,
Just be grateful we had the best of it.
Philshoz

Postby Philchapman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:09 pm

Yup. So grateful for growing up in a time when human beings were still able to bend their knees!
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby BoredatWork925 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Just for the record for others reading this (cause I realise this question is 8 years old!), the OP stated that when they got to their feet steadily via their knees they had exactly the same problem, so obviously the problem isn't with the pop up technique, it's with how they're standing.

Sorting out balance with standing can easily be solved by getting a very floaty board or a SUP board onto flat water and simply understanding how you need to stand and where you need to put your feet to be balanced. You can spend an hour on the board if you like, which is equivalent to weeks on end of catching waves condensed into just one hour. It sounds like the OP is simply not balanced on the board.
BoredatWork925

Previous

Return to Learn to Surf