What's a good workout to help a beginner with surfing?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

What's a good workout to help a beginner with surfing?

Postby alexyap » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:37 am

Hello,

I just started out surfing and I just can't get it off my mind. I live somewhere remote and there are never any waves at the beaches here. So, if I wanted to surf I'd have to do a little traveling first. Which is why I need a good workout routine to help me build the muscles I need to not get winded out pretty quickly. My last surf session was only 2 hours and I got pretty tired just from paddling. So, I decided to hit the gym to bulk up a little (I'm 5'7" and only weigh around 55-60kg) which is probably why I had trouble carrying around the board I rented which was around 9' - 10' I believe. So, anybody have any thoughts on what exercises I should be doing to help me in the water next time? P.S. aside from hitting the gym, I'm also planning to do some laps at a local pool every once a week.
alexyap

Re: What's a good workout to help a beginner with surfing?

Postby Black » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:37 am

I don't have a workout for you but.....

1 - Swimming is good but once a week will not be enough really.
2 - "Bulk up" is not a goal for surfing. Most average surfers are de-bulking! Being light is an advantage as long as you have enough strength.
3 - "Only 2 hours" of paddling will cause fatigue in just about anyone, its normal.
4 - The board you rented is too big as you are light something around 8' or under would be a more serviceable option.

Just my opinion of course....
Oh yeah just have fun anyway! :-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Burpees

Popup drills

pushups

core strength work.
Chris F

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:30 pm

Burpees

Popup drills

pushups

core strength work.
Chris F

Postby Leven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Masturbation. Just be sure to use both arms to keep it even.
Leven

Postby BoredatWork925 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Black wrote:4 - The board you rented is too big as you are light something around 8' or under would be a more serviceable option.

According to the news today, 70% of men in my age group are overweight or obese, so it's only logical that surf schools assume everyone's on the heavy side. I'm a normal weight beginner, and after a 10-15 sessions of learning and renting on a board like the OP mentioned (I don't know what they were, but probably 9'), I requested a smaller one and it was an awful lot better - the others felt like I was balancing on a pool toy! I should add though that I've flat water SUPed and windsurfed for 4 years before learning to surf, so my balance and board control is reasonable.
BoredatWork925

Return to Learn to Surf