transitioning from mini mal to shortboard

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

transitioning from mini mal to shortboard

Postby Andy89 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:27 am

Hi,
I am beginner surfer and i'm using mates 7'6 mini mal surfboard. I am standing up pretty often and am starting to surf down the waves. I am 19 and pretty fit, I weigh 73kg and am 6ft. I am willing to put the hours in. I want to know when to progress from a mini mal to a shortboard and what size board i should get.

Cheers,
Andy89
Andy89

Re: transitioning from mini mal to shortboard

Postby roberdy » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:52 pm

I transitioned your post to the Learn to Surf forum, good luck :)
-------------------------------------------------------
The Janitor
roberdy

Postby Black » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:49 pm

So you haven't even got a surfboard and you are enquiring about transitioning to a shortboard!
Two words - cart & horse.
:-)
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 pm

take this advice from somebody who bought a big shortboard as a first board (actually a 7'0 semi gun, but basically a shortboard)
I'd learnt on mini mals and foamies but as a first board at about 11 or so I bought that and it took me ages to start turning and things
if I'd bought a mini mal I'd probably be much better right now and I'd have a board to bring out on small mushy days
take it from me, foam is your friend, in bigger and in smaller waves, the only time it isn't is in hollow waves but that's irrelevant at your level

TL;DR - stick with the mini mal until you're turning reasonably well, popping up at the right time and making most of the waves you paddle for
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Leven » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:52 pm

And can go right and left, bottom turn effectively, and go back up the face. Both ways!

With your height, weight and fitness, you should be getting 20-30 waves a session easily....

The most common mistake in learning to surf is going too small, too soon.

Loads of other threads on the forum about this, so have a search.
Leven

Postby Tomdiddlybomb » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:20 pm

Leven wrote:The most common mistake in learning to surf is going too small, too soon.

Truth of the highest order. I reckon only now am I getting onto a board with a good amount of volume for me (admittedly it's more than I need and I've grown a bit since I bought the previous boards) but my surfing has gone through the roof since getting my new board. Still prefer my tiny boards in the right conditions but as a daily driver bigger is always better!
Tomdiddlybomb

Postby Andy89 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:45 am

Cheers for the comments guys. I think I will stick with the mini mal for the time being.
Andy89

Postby Andy89 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:32 am

So bigger is always better, but what kind of skills should you have before going to a shortboard?
Andy89

Postby swiggy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:09 pm

Just to offer a different point of view, If you're 19, fit and want to shortboard eventually you might as well get a shortboard once you have figured out going down the line. It totally depends how often you are going to get in and how well you take to it. I learned on a big (for me as a skinny kid, normal shortboard to a lot of people) shortboard in my late teens, definitely don't regret it, didn't hold me back at all. I had done a lot of bodysurfing and bodyboarding as a child so had a head start on the ocean reading and paddling aspects. If you are only going to surf once every week or 2 weeks you may find it frustrating if you go too small. Just jumping on to a shortboard is not good advice if you are carrying a few extra pounds or will not be surfing much, but you are young and fit, just go for it. Not suggesting you ride a rockered out potato chip, but something a couple inches longer than you with a few extra litres of volume will be fine. Big boards can let you get away with bad habits like getting to your knees first (something you shouldn't do unless you have arthritis in your hips or something), plus they are much harder to duckdive.
swiggy

Postby All I do Is Surf » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:02 pm

Hey Andy
Some pretty good answers and advice posted up for to this only thing I can think of is if you get specific advice from the local surf shop or place were you going to be surfing, if you willing to put in the hard work and theirs a lot of it I would probably got for a mid range groveler that's going to allow you to move from small to bigger waves with is but still give you loads of float
something like any of this might be good for what you need

something with a fair bit of float that will get you planning quickly and fast

http://store.magicseaweed.com/JS-Flying ... tem/19183/
http://www.sbsboards.com/product/bull/
https://www.surfdome.com/pyzel_surfboar ... low-195051

or something a little more performance less float and thinner outline but still going to get you in to waves earlier and keep your planning speed high

https://www.surfdome.com/chilli_surfboa ... ite-217413
http://www.sbsboards.com/product/the-motivator/
http://store.magicseaweed.com/7S-Super- ... tem/17534/

just for a few ideas
All I do Is Surf

Postby Microwebby » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm pushing 50 and getting more and more into shortboarding. I wish I'd done it years ago and the process has taught me so much about wave positioning, and made me a much stronger paddler. Getting back on mid length or longboards is much improved as a result. If you're 19 then just get on with it, pay your dues in learning to paddle and duck dive and you'll be there soon enough. Of course working out what size of board is best will benefit from advice, but you'll be surprised what you can surf. I'm 6'2, 12.5 stones and not uber fit and I can ride a 6'4" x 19 x 2.5 " board ok.
Microwebby

Return to Learn to Surf