Re Start Questions

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Re Start Questions

Postby JaxRock » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Hey There,

I'm an older guy (5'11, 250lbs), but can paddle and almost catch waves (stand) on a 9' BPC out here in Jacksonville, FL.

A friend who I will surf with recommended I get a 7S Fish just because it's easier to catch waves (he's going to give me some lessons / pointers).
I'm a former skateboarder of ramps/pools...

Few question:

Q: Seems like a lot of companies make Fish shapes - which are the better ones?
Q: Should I just try to continue sticking it out with the heavy 9' BPC?

Essentially I'd like to surf with my son as he's gaining better skill and interest :)

Thanks!
JaxRock

Re: Re Start Questions

Postby Chris_Witkowski » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:41 am

Unless the 9' board is badly damaged or waterlogged, why would you want to come down in board size when you can't catch waves on the larger board?
Chris_Witkowski

Postby JaxRock » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:01 am

Chris_Witkowski wrote:Unless the 9' board is badly damaged or waterlogged, why would you want to come down in board size when you can't catch waves on the larger board?

Chris, this was a suggestion from my friend who I mentioned in my post. He said it would be easier to catch waves.
JaxRock

Postby Jory » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 pm

The 7s fish are ok for what they are but a 9 footer should catch waves earlier and easier than any kind of fish. The fish will only help you turn tigter/harder at the expense of paddling and wave catching ability. It will also have less glide and require more input from you to keep it moving. I'm with chris here
Jory

Return to Learn to Surf