Does anyone else scrape their front knee when popping up?

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Does anyone else scrape their front knee when popping up?

Postby Ditto1991 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:14 pm

I've been surfing a fair bit but have always felt I've never fully had my pop up down..

Every time I pop up I scrape my front (left) knee a little bit on the board when popping up. On a busy day this leads to it wearing out the skin and stabbing over.

This is a really hard habit to break and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I surf a short board so am popping up without using my feet.

Am I missing something? The way I see it is a surfer pushes up and arches their back with their knees resting on the board. Then As they spring to their feet they pull their knees under their chest and place their feet so their knees must scrape a little bit..

Or Is it that you should almost pop up pushing your body backwards and bounce off your knees?

Would really appreciate some advice from those who have this nailed
Ditto1991

Re: Does anyone else scrape their front knee when popping up

Postby thatistheway » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:11 pm

:) You are not alone. The bone below my left knee has actually deformed slighty after a few years of knocking it whilst popping up. There are some pretty good YouTube videos explaining pop ups. If you leave it too long to correct it, you will end up with what looks like two knee caps on your left leg. Not a good look, trust me.
thatistheway

Re: Does anyone else scrape their front knee when popping up

Postby Bootneck 86 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:19 pm

There's more than one way to do it.

Try planting your back foot first as you pop-up (to give you a bit of height off the board), and then straighten your arms as you swing your front foot under and forward (and then gradually, over time, aim to do this in one fluid, continuous, simultaneous movement, until you are virtually 'leaping' to your feet - shouldn't take too long, once you have broken the other 'habit').

It is slightly different from the method that you describe, as you are actually planting that back foot first.

It might even help if you fit a tail-pad to the board, so that you know exactly where that back foot is going when you plant it (certainly can't do any harm, anyway).

I ride short boards in the 6' to 6'6" length, and that's the way that I often do it (I think).

Might not work so well on shorter boards than this? I wouldn't know, as I don't ride them any shorter.

Let me know if it works.
Bootneck 86

Return to Learn to Surf