Grom Girl Advice Needed!

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Grom Girl Advice Needed!

Postby GromGirl » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:00 pm

:-D Hey hey,
So i really hope some of you slightly more seasoned seaweed-ites will be able to help me. I learnt to surf last summer whilst i was working for a surf camp. Mostly on small waves with the big foamies and an instructor and group. By the end of the summer i was pretty chilled and surfing the small green waves confidently. I also started taking the smaller foamies.

I knew i would have a break for the winter season as i work in the alpes but would be taking up surfing again this autumn so at the end of last summer i bought my first hard board its an epoxy fish 6"4 and is 20 7/8" wide and 2 9/16" thick on the advice of the sales assistant who said i could grow into it. I am around 5"7 and 57kg approx. I am really struggling on this board! I do take some waves occasionally although my wave count isnt awesome. When its smaller like 1-1.5 metres im ok and can get through the whitewash on the periods or roll it and grab a few waves but when the waves get a bit bigger 1.5-2.5 i start to struggle to fight the white wash. My board seems too floaty to duck dive very effectively although i have to admit i kinda gave up trying. And when i try to roll it it gets pulled out of my hands which is dangerous for other people and its making me nervous about losing control of the board.

Im really starting to lose confidence and when i see a big foam wave about to crash on me i wonder what the hell i am doing. I have had some great days on small waves and i love the sport when its good. But those days are few and far between and i know i have to get a bit more confident when the surfs bigger or i will spend weeks waiting for my conditions.

Any tips on getting an epoxy board out the back on the bigger days? I use the rips and periods where i can but its not always possible. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated :) if i could afford to go back to surf school i would in a shot but i dont have the money for it as this surf trips on a budget. My boyfriend who started surfing at the same time as me has taken a super short pointy shortboard he duck dives easily and is already ripping. Im so jealous. Please help!
GromGirl

Re: Grom Girl Advice Needed!

Postby Leven » Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:16 pm

http://mellow-waves.com/how-to-duckdive-like-a-pro/

Great guide to duck diving here....
Leven

Re: Grom Girl Advice Needed!

Postby GromGirl » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:51 am

Thanks a lot.A really useful read :-D
GromGirl

Return to Learn to Surf