Newbie Help

Any questions about learning to surf, or general questions about equipment, technique or improving your surfing.

Newbie Help

Postby UGE » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:19 pm

Hi Guys,
I have been meaning to sign up for a while and only just got around to it.

Im 31, male and from landlocked Leicester and a fully payed up member of SAS.
I normally bodyboard but want to try my hand at surfing, I have had two lessons one when i was about 14 and one in 2011 so not much experience.

I made the mistake of thinking if i stood up on my 1st lesson i would be able to do it most of the time :roll: so bought a bic magnum 8'4" back in 2011 which i havent used.

I have been looking at some foamies and wondering if they would be better suited for me rather than the magnum?
The foamie i have been looking at online is the California Board Company Classic 108 and was wondering if you could give me some advise.
Im 5ft9 and just over 17stone (also goofy)

any advise would be great.

Thanks
Ewan
UGE

Re: Newbie Help

Postby Philchapman » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:16 pm

When you say you haven't used the Bic, do you mean at all? Or have you had a go and not done as well as you expected?

I'd say stick with the Bic. It's going to have a longer life than a foamie, which you'll soon grow out of when you can get to your feet regularly.

If you buy another board, then you'll have the dilemma of "which board do I take out today', and that way madness lies....

Watch lots of 'how to' vids on youtube, and actually practice getting to your feet on dry land lots before your next surf.

The neighbours will think you've gone mental when they see you jumping to your feet on your Bic (with fins removed) in the garden, but so what?

You'll be the one smiling when you are standing up every time you go for a wave this summer.
Shamanarchy in the U.K.
Philchapman

Postby Leven » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Next few times you go to the coast, leave the BIC at home, but hire a foamy. At 17 stone, make sure it's a big foamy too. Use the foam board to find your feet, then transfer to the BIC at a later date. And as Phil says, there's loads of "How to" stuff on Youtube, and practice at home. Also, hit your local pool, and build your paddling muscles.
Leven

Postby UGE » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:20 pm

Thanks for the replies guys

I havent used the bic yet when we went in 2011 there was a 12ft swell coming in and it was messy as hell at peranporth.

We are going fistral for the weekend next month and im booking myself and the mrs on a lesson would it be worth taking the bic down with me?

Going forward the mrs wants to surf so her own board would help, she is 5'9 and about 8 stone and still yet to stand
What sort of board would be best for her?
UGE

Postby Chris F » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:30 pm

You guys should both be able to get on OK with the BIC, worth taking it along. Even for the larger gent it will be pretty buoyant (depending on both your fitness and agility).
Chris F

Postby UGE » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:48 pm

T o be honest im not that fit but my arm and shoulder muscles are still active due to work so paddling wont be that much of a problem, my biggest problem is balance so i have been on my indo board for about 15-20min every night for the past 2 weeks so far.

The thing with the bic, with it being a 8'4 i think it will be a bit hard for the other half to control as she struggles with a swell on lesson or would she be better with a shorter foamie?
UGE

Postby Chris_Witkowski » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:18 pm

UGE wrote:To be honest im not that fit but my arm and shoulder muscles are still active due to work so paddling wont be that much of a problem

Unless you work as a surfboard paddler or swimmer then that's unlikely to translate into paddling prowess.
Chris_Witkowski

Return to Learn to Surf