Sun block and head protection

Got a question about this years best new wetsuit? Found an amazing new surf product? Post in here and let people know about it.

Sun block and head protection

Postby Scoobs » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:38 am

I am suffering after the weekend from too much sun - in England who would have thought it? Anyone have any recommendations for sunblock that works and won't make me cry when it gets in my eyes the first time I duck dive? Ideally as natural as possible, no animal testing etc. And anybody got any sun protecting head gear ideas that work in the water as what is left of my hair is not enough to protect my head. Needs to stay on my head, ideally brim all the way round to keep the tops of my ears protected too. Done the google search thing, it looks like sailing hats are cheaper than surf hats which is surprising but am I missing anything cheaper or better. What does anyone use that actually works?
Thanks S
Scoobs

Re: Sun block and head protection

Postby WeAreMemories » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 pm

I use the Riemann P20 factor 50, lots of it, as I get it free through RNLI volunteer work. It does work well on my bald head, good if you have stubble / no hair as it is like an oil and blends in nicely. It is very water resistant, lasts me a good 2-3 hour surf. Half way through a session, I do sometimes start to get the eye sting, but its not too bad. It came top in some TV program research recently. Possibly not good for your wetsuit if it has a rubber/smooth skin neck seal, it might break down the material over time, and not good to get on your car boot when shutting up etc!

Other stuff I use is brands like Aloe Gator or Island Tribe - These are both like rubbing Vaseline on your face, so super water resistant. Need to wash it off with soap to get rid properly, so never had eye sting with it.
WeAreMemories

Postby Leven » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:21 pm

Been using Surfers Skin for a while now, pretty good stuff.

I find the P20 stuff just way to oily....
Leven

Postby thechimp » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:03 am

and as for head protection i use a cap with ear covers for the summer in oz, i've got sola keratosis on the tops of my ears and had 4 bcc's cut off my forehead, so may be worth getting similar for UK if your prone to sun damage, no problem duck diving with the cap, but had the hats with the rim pulled off a few times.
Attachments
billabong-supreme-surf-cap.jpg
billabong-supreme-surf-cap.jpg (30.81 KiB) Viewed 878 times
thechimp

Postby Scoobs » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for the replies folks, I am a bit concerned about my ears so a cap like you suggest chimp would be good, I did wonder about keeping a brimmed hat on - I'll google it again as I haven't found one so far in my search.... And thanks for the cream suggestions I'll see what I can find to try out. Mind you considering this is England I may not need either until 2018!!
Scoobs

Return to Wetsuits and gear