Surfing with wounds?

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Surfing with wounds?

Postby Gogmagog » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:51 am

Hi, had a bad crash on my bike - hit a small rock in the road, going downhill, it was dark, flew off then smacked knee and face - nothing broken but shredded knee and sever lacerations to nose and lower face. got it cleaned and dressed at a&e, doctor said 2 weeks at least before getting into water again.

have a north cornwall trip already booked from 2nd November, 23 days after accident. question is will i be safe to get into the water by then?
Gogmagog

Re: Surfing with wounds?

Postby Chris F » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:45 pm

2 weeks = 14 days.

23 is larger than 14. You'll be fine.

Might be painful rubbing scabs off knee in wetsuit, so might be a good idea to cover them.
Chris F

Postby Gogmagog » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Chris F wrote:2 weeks = 14 days.

23 is larger than 14. You'll be fine.

Might be painful rubbing scabs off knee in wetsuit, so might be a good idea to cover them.

Thanks a lot, have been reading some nasty stories on the net (infections and sea ulcers etc) but these seem tropical focused. water quality is apparently excellent where i will be so i'll risk it (covering up scabs) so cheers
Gogmagog

Postby Black » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:24 pm

Salt water is good for wounds.
If you are surfing a spot with a river and its been heavy rain, I would advise choosing somewhere else due to land run-off contamination.
I'm currently out due to injury, it sucks doesn't it!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Gogmagog » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Black wrote:Salt water is good for wounds.
If you are surfing a spot with a river and its been heavy rain, I would advise choosing somewhere else due to land run-off contamination.
I'm currently out due to injury, it sucks doesn't it!

yes it certainly does, especially as I booked monday 15th oct off for a south wales jaunt before it happened, & seeing the forecast today!

i'll be at holywell bay so should be ok i guess. thanks, hope you get back in soon
Gogmagog

Postby Chris F » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:29 pm

Yep, all those minging things are in warm water.
Chris F

Postby Black » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:42 pm

Gogmagog wrote:yes it certainly does, especially as I booked monday 15th oct off for a south wales jaunt before it happened, & seeing the forecast today!

i'll be at holywell bay so should be ok i guess. thanks, hope you get back in soon
I may well be operational by 2 Nov if the current improvements continue so if you'd like the company of an old git to make you look good I may be about. :lol:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Voyager » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:55 pm

I've had grief from wounds like this before now. Same thing, came off a mountain bike and the pedal end went straight into my leg and made a fairly decent hole, sprayed some savlon on and splashed some TCP on it, all was well and dandy until................I went in the sea two days later and didn't have it covered [just the wetsuit], and it ended up getting infected big time.
I had to make 3 or 4 trips to and from hospital to get it redressed, they stuck an iodine pad on it, and put me on antibiotics, and said keep your leg higher than your body [ie on the sofa] for 2 days they said if it goes red and is hot after that I'd have to go on an antibiotic drip in hospital!! Luckily it slowly got better.
It was a good month before I could go back in the sea.

Then again.....cut my foot quite badly on a tin can in Welligama in Sri Lanka in the sea , which is full of s**t. BUT as soon as I got out of the water I thoroughly washed it and sprayed it with Savlon
dry spray [which apparently also pulls the bad stuff out too!], I did this everytime I got out of the sea for 7 days on the trot. And sprayed it and taped it with Kinesio type tape before going in as well. and hey prestos...not a single problem!

The moral of the story...keep it cleaner than Clean Mc Clean who won last years Clean competition for being Clean, use Kinesio tape to cover it when you're in the sea, and spray the heck out of it with Savlon dry spray
Voyager

Postby Gogmagog » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:58 am

great advice thanks guys, i;'ll go in, but with the tape and savlon dry spray for afterwards, cheers
Gogmagog

Return to General