Virus and surf

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

Virus and surf

Postby Chris152 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:25 pm

So, can we drive to the beach and surf, or is that all off now? Car parks closed to stop unnecessary travel in Porthcawl apparently. Are we any different to all the other punters who've been told off for going to the beach over the weekend? Or does it count as our one piece of exercise per day? :?
Chris152

Re: Virus and surf

Postby ears » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:43 am

Was wondering the same thing.. driving solo, no contact, find a peak on your own.. whilst it might be allowable per the new restrictions is it morally correct??
ears

Postby Black » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:59 am

Today we have blue skies & surf. Was planning to go surfing, not having left home since before this all blew up.
Would feel too much like a twat to go - staying home, doing the right thing even though the webcams have shown surfers in every day, even though its been 1 foot shite.
I know someone who's had it & recovered.
Got loads of things to do here (not paid work though) for months ahead!
Be responsible!
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Chris152 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 am

Yep, I've been reading around it online and it looks like the consensus is stay out. My boy's going to be well pissed off when I say we're not going this aft (nor for the weeks/ months to come), but on a day like this - small and clean, sunshine - when hardly anyone's in work, it'll be like a crowded Saturday at our local if we don't collectively do the right thing. It'd be different I think if we could walk to a spot hardly anyone ever goes to, no msw cameras and all that, but that's not the case for us. And even then, you don't want to be damaging yourself and ending up in hospital, unlikely as it may be.

Anyone got one of those powerstroke things? Seem to get bad reviews on Amazon, need to keep in shape somehow edit - well, no more out of shape
Chris152

Postby ears » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Bravo Black.. I think leading by example is the way to go! I think the bottom line as you say chris.. you hurt yourself or whatever and you end up knocking on the door of a very busy A and E you're going to feel like a bit of a twat. I'm having that 'should i shouldn't i' argument but i know that really i just shouldn't.. I don't think i'd enjoy it knowing that what i'm doing isn't really in the spirit of what we're being asked to do! Carry on! :-D
ears

Postby buttholesurfer » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:08 pm

Just think people need to actually use their common sense...but in this day and age I think it’s lacking.
buttholesurfer

Postby rodent » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:28 pm

My guess is it all depends how good the forecast is :shock:

And if the roads are totally in lockdown

But as you’ve stated, one would get hung drawn and quartered if something goes wrong
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby jam bo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:35 pm

just done a tour of the cams, and there seem to plenty of people within walking distance of the main breaks...

maybe MSW should turn the cams and forecasts off for a bit.
jam bo

Postby Philshoz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:23 pm

buttholesurfer wrote:Just think people need to actually use their common sense...but in this day and age I think it’s lacking.

An English couple we know just 'popped' over last week to bring a piece of furniture to their holiday home FFS. They got the penultimate ferry back.
Just imagine what they could have been spreading during that time away. And she is a nurse!!!!

We have just gone up another notch here, only walk within 1km of home, first fine €130, second €1500 :shock: :shock: if you break the law.

Food wise we are quite lucky, Lidl only had about 20 people in first thing and plenty of food and wine of course.

Stay safe one and all.

(Maybe the forum will take off again :idea: )
Philshoz

Postby Philshoz » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:27 pm

Philshoz

Postby weekend warrior » Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:07 pm

The government and the police are using a lot of assertion to get the public to get them to do what they want because they don't have the legal power to do so.

Government’s power to order us around comes from law. But in a democracy, it’s the law that decides who can give orders. If government needed these powers today, it should have asked Parliament a fortnight or more ago.

Instead, they’re bluffing. That puts police in an impossible position. And risks even more mistrust.

There isn't a law against travel, and there isn't a law against surfing. You're welcome to disagree, but you had better quote the relevant law to have any credibility.

I'm only commenting on the legal angle, but fully expect to be emotionally accused of not knowing that there's a virus problem. By the way, I'm aware.
weekend warrior

Postby Chris F » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:22 am

Leading by example is the key to this I think. Consider the ripple effect of someone seeing you in the water. Rumours circulate that someone was surfing, then a ten minute drive is OK, then 20, then one person in the water then 2. Also you don't want every surfer in the country branded as a selfish cunt by the general public and us thinking the rules don't apply to us if a photo appears in the paper or in social media. Thirdly, there is always a chance you may hurt yourself, no matter how small the waves, and how careful you are. You don't want to rely on medical services right now, and for your own health you want to avoid going near a hospital unless you have to.

There are many things I can do including safely bouldering or going out on my SUP within 10 minutes walk of my house, but I'm not due to reasons stated above.
Chris F

Postby ears » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:39 pm

THIS^^^^ :D
ears

Postby weekend warrior » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:28 pm

weekend warrior

Postby Surf Fuerteventura » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:49 am

feel your pain... feel mine.

you all know where i'm at, the few who have met me know the salty blood that runs through my veins.

have not seen the ocean from closer than my rooftop since march 13th, and there's rumor that
"they" won't let us out to play until june!!!!

there's been six foot swell running and no wind.

oh, and apparently there's two guys "stranded" at lobos on a sailboat, been there for ten days... poor guys!
the g.c. had to take them water and food the other day, saw video on the local press of them receiving
the goods topside, there was a longboard strapped to the deck. :roll: :roll: :roll: POOR GUYS!!!

hope everyone is well and avoids this bastard virus.

cheers from sunny fuerteventura!
Surf Fuerteventura

Postby rodent » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:42 pm

That has the makings of a movie - been stranded on a world class remote point

Park of me is mad with envoy :shock:

Hope the lads are fine and well feed
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby mountain man » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:41 am

Surfing in the UK is NOT banned, the issue is getting to the beach. Basically if you drive that would be a non-essential journey and hence has potential for penalty from police.
If you live close enough to walk then no reason why you cannot surf. Last week I was questioned by police at beach as I was about to go in and their concern was an RTA on way to from beach which would stretch the emergency services resources.
Actually surfing not a problem.
mountain man

Postby rodent » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:23 pm

It’s more to do with preventing accidents that take doctors etc from critical care and stopping the folk who have accidents be it mountaineering, surfing, horse riding, diy etc picking up the virus at hospital and spreading it to friends and family & angry locals etc
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:39 pm

A and E teams are generally extremely busy owing to general household accidents, which no doubt will be increasing for fairly obvious reasons.

Plenty of folk going on 20mile plus bike rides around here, with seemingly no concern about the distances travelled and potential accident fallout, but heaven forbid you even think about surfing... :roll:
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Just to put the above in context, I live just over a mile from 2 beaches. Tesco is twice as far away.

Theoretically, I would meet fewer people, travel a shorter distance and meet less traffic if I went surfing rather than doing the weekly shop. I could also go very early in the morning and would be extremely unlikely to see another soul...

Those of you who know me will know that I am far more likely to be hospitalised on dry land than in the sea...

What would you do? I have not surfed for a while, as I am being 'sensible', but wanted to test the panel for your thoughts?
Archy_is_God

Postby rodent » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:18 pm

I’m allowed go 2km for exercise - living by the sea I have the chance for a fun little beach break

I’d normally drive a couple of hours for a surf

I’ve seen footage of a mountaineer pinned in a car and the police called, question is at what stage do the locals not call the police as the virus starts to take more lives

Going to be an interesting few weeks, but unfortunately I can’t see any restrictions lifted this side of summer

With the possibility of more restrictions in winter when it comes back
FREE THE DEADLY
rodent

Postby mountain man » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:01 am

Archy_is_God wrote:Just to put the above in context, I live just over a mile from 2 beaches. Tesco is twice as far away.

Theoretically, I would meet fewer people, travel a shorter distance and meet less traffic if I went surfing rather than doing the weekly shop. I could also go very early in the morning and would be extremely unlikely to see another soul...

Those of you who know me will know that I am far more likely to be hospitalised on dry land than in the sea...

What would you do? I have not surfed for a while, as I am being 'sensible', but wanted to test the panel for your thoughts?

Same here, I'm a key worker who has to travel 34miles EACH way to work. Nearest surf 3 miles away. I also cycle and it's fine apparently to go 25-30 miles(my usual ride). Debating exactly this on FB.
mountain man

Postby ears » Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:09 am

Arguably going to tesco can be defined as essential.. going surfing or cycling (unless to your job as a key worker) is never going to be essential. Either activity is legitimate as allowed exercise but going in the car in order to facilitate either seems to be a no no.. Ive stopped driving my dog to the woods 5 mins away even though the park on my doorstep in line with other royal parks has now banned dogs being off the lead.. total PIA.. likewise i'm not thinking about surfing 2hrs away even though i could fuel, drive and surf without coming into contact with anyone.. its just taking the piss i think.. a mile from the beach though, I think i'd be rigging my push bike with a trailer and going.. like you say you can break your ankle whilst having a wank (well, you didn't say that, i did..) so theres no real logic in that argument.. just a bit of common sense isn't it? :D
ears

Postby Black » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:31 am

I could drive 10 minutes to the Coop in Perranporth to get essential foodstuff and if I parked in a carpark other than the Coop I could surf without any extra travel.
Apart from not really being able to surf any more... its just not essential as Ears said, so its not happening. If you are having to justify it then its clearly an issue under the current circumstances.
I can exercise plenty without leaving my property and although not a fitness guy I have been trying to do daily exercise if just to keep the surf withdrawal under control.
I thought serious cyclists had those roller things so you can cycle 500 miles without going 2 feet from your settee?

I'm having thoughts of giving up regular surfing altogether as life feels a lot less interrupted - its a good time to re-assess. :shock:
Never growing old together...
Black

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:34 pm

I am currently driving around all over the place as I run a number of Social Care and support services.

I would be spreading any virus and more likely to be hospitalised using a bike on the road than going surfing.

I get the solidarity thing, but it seems that only surfers are feeling this whilst runners and cyclists are having a great time. Just saying...
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:38 pm

... And moaning, really :lol:
Archy_is_God

Postby Chris F » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Not just surfers, everyone! No golf, no football, no rugby, no skiing, no tennis, no rock climbing, no Mountain Biking, etc etc etc.

FWIW I'm limiting running to a distance i can hobble back to my house whereas I would get out in the woods and up in the hills from my house and not see another person if I wanted, but I won't. I might go out on road bike sometime but limit to the same; that I can get home unaided if something goes wrong.

I could go bouldering a ten minute walk from my house, no one would see me, apart from maybe a police helicopter or passing boat, take a massive pad and not go more than a couple of meters off the ground and be dead safe, or walk down to the beach with my ISUP and have a pootle down the coast. But I'm doing what I was asked and sticking to guidelines.
Chris F

Postby Chris F » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:59 pm

Chris F wrote:Leading by example is the key to this I think. Consider the ripple effect of someone seeing you in the water. Rumours circulate that someone was surfing, then a ten minute drive is OK, then 20, then one person in the water then 2. Also you don't want every surfer in the country branded as a selfish cunt by the general public and us thinking the rules don't apply to us if a photo appears in the paper or in social media. Thirdly, there is always a chance you may hurt yourself, no matter how small the waves, and how careful you are. You don't want to rely on medical services right now, and for your own health you want to avoid going near a hospital unless you have to.

I think this still applies too.
Chris F

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:07 pm

You mean this guidance?

'Please use the following guidance in order to stay safe:

stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily'

And when did surfing suddenly become a high risk behaviour?

My point is - this guidance has a very different meaning depending on where one lives, its not the activity that is the issue, its the behaviour in terms of risk of the activity itself and the amount of distance travelled that are bones of contention here
Archy_is_God

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:14 pm

Fair point on the potential ripple effect though, I agree, grudgingly :lol:

Damn, wish it was 1987 again...
Archy_is_God

Next

Return to General