maderia

Chat about anything surf related here - latest sessions, incoming swells and more. Everyone and anyone welcome.
Try to keep it friendly...

maderia

Postby surfingdream » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:22 pm

Got pinged to gop on the family holiday to maderia. Have looked on MSW at some pictures and some spots looks a bit 2 scethy for me. Ive only surfed a few point breaks and they have been well of the beach. Has any1 has any experience of surfing there ?

Cheers Guys
Face your fears, Live your dreams
surfingdream

Re: maderia

Postby Jory » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:02 pm

my friend (who has surfed 10 foot+ sunset) had a near drowning experience there & he isn't easily spooked. From what i know it's generally big & powerful there with few friendlier options i have no first hand experince though
Jory

Postby majordom » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:23 pm

i heard its all deep ocean swell falling on sick reefs and slabs backing onto cliffs

http://www.bloggsd.com/photos/madeira_i ... 356_1.html

http://www.madeira-island.com/features/ ... deira.html

nice beachbreak here it seems

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Europe/Ma ... index.html

the island is fantastic (not surfed there tho)
majordom

Postby Vince Noir » Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:22 pm

Jardiem do mar (sp) has been ruined by costal defences, as im led to believe by the dvd "lost jewel of the atlantic"
Vince Noir

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 am

I'm with Jory...
A bunch of my mates went there several years ago and the smallest board surfed was a 6'8" pinny (we're talking guys that normally ride a 6'1" or 6'2"...)
The surf was big, the boulders were big and super slippy, the paddles were big and the hold-downs were big. A couple of guys had done seasons on the North Shore too.
But it depends what time of year you go-I got the impression that most spots needed to be big to break. In the summer it's gonna be flat.
Archy_is_God

Postby surferjak » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:07 am

take a board just in case- theres got to be a few beachys around the place?
surferjak

Postby North Devon Lad » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:20 pm

Big wave spot. Heard that braks don't work unless the swell is over 2m, and when it's that big it's super shallow and treacherous entries/exits. Plus one of the local chargers said he nearly died there.

Mates wanted to go there this winter. But convinced them that Fuetre was the better option.
I am too young to die!
8)
http://gregnormansurfer.blogspot.com/
www.blackandwhitesurfcoltd.co.uk
www.tikisurf.co.uk
www.elusivesurf.com
www.obsessive-disorder.com
North Devon Lad

Postby Archy_is_God » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:49 pm

surferjak wrote:take a board just in case- theres got to be a few beachys around the place?

I think there's just one crappy beach facing away from most swell..
The island is just a tip of a bloody underwater mountain :shock:
Archy_is_God

Postby majordom » Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:09 pm

yep just like hawaii :lol:
majordom

Postby eastcoastsurfshop » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:33 am

eastcoastsurfshop

Postby swordie » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:46 pm

went there in march, not much swell running but the options were: Jardim or Paul do Mar... big big big, over at the eastern end at Machico and a decent little break at Sao Jorge on the N Coast.
I excell at not giving a shit

http://lostcoast.blogspot.com/
swordie

Postby Kookie » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:01 pm

My take.

A good place only for someone who's already done some adventuring with tough remote waves already. Someone who knows how to absail down those cliffs and so forth.

If a beginner it doesn't make sense to bother bringing a board unless Machico or somewhere like that is working and that seems to be rare. So hiring a board would make sense but there is no where to hire a board for that opportunist option.

Paul do Mar broke straight onto the rocks. So did Jardim do Mar and SaoV. The only beginners spot on the island now has the locals only spray and of that area there was ONE right hander with 2 or 3 guys on it at the weekend.

Every break I've tried is cobbles that are awkward to walk on because they are fist sized, or slippy boulders.

I actually did paddle out at Paul Do Mar, but I couldn't predict a pattern to which wave would break rightwards and peter out rather than crashing onto the sea defenses so I had to go without.

It's an amazing breathtaking island but I didn't go for the surf. Next I'll be looking at Gran Canaria or Fuerta.
Kookie

Postby Ferral » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 pm

What happened at Jardim do Mar is an absolute travesty. a completely unique wave (from the photos - i've never been ,nor would i really want to :oops: :lol: ) destroyed. Anyone remeber the photos from the big wave contest they ahd there in the (I think) mid nienties..used to have this shot of a portugese charger on a legit 4-5 overhead glassy beast on my wall.. was mind blowing!
Ferral

Postby Vince Noir » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:40 pm

That DVD i mentioned is mad...genna watch it again tonight now :-)

Absolutely huge , perfect righthander
Vince Noir

Postby henryg » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 pm

Vince Noir wrote:That DVD i mentioned is mad...genna watch it again tonight now :-)

Absolutely huge , perfect righthander

Yeah Madeira is definitely not for the faint hearted from watching that DVD.
STOP...... Hammertime
henryg

Postby pugdave » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:17 am

there are some sand beaches on the east coast and some nice looking spots on the north coast that ar'nt as full on as the main spots .
it's roads that scare the shit out of you , a waist high wall in between you and a 200 meter drop :shock:
if you're not driving it might be a tall order for you're folks to drive you around, it only small island but with the slow winding roads it'll take over a couple of hours to drive around it.
pugdave

Postby Archy_is_God » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:10 am

IainF wrote: Anyone remeber the photos from the big wave contest they ahd there in the (I think) mid nienties..used to have this shot of a portugese charger on a legit 4-5 overhead glassy beast on my wall.. was mind blowing!

Yep, Miguel Fortes I believe...sick wave in that photo.

Flea and Poto were also in that comp I think and I remember reading that they were a little bit gutted as the swell dropped for final to a meagre 10ft 'Island Style'. Fruitloops.
Archy_is_God

Return to General